Need help/info on used PSB 500's...

A

azaudio

Audiophyte
I bought these speakers CHEAP ($20 for the pair). I don't know anything about them, really, but I know this is an older model (like early 90's, I think). I'd like to know more about them, if anyone as any experience with PSB 500's.

There is a problem though. The spider on one of the speakers has rotted and detached from the cone/voicecoil. So it buzzes. I called PSB, and I can get a replacement 8" speaker for $157. If I do that, I want to replace the other one too, so that would put me at over $300. Anyone know how much PSB 500's cost new? I don't know if this is the best option or not. Are there other good replacement speakers I can consider? Or is it possible to fix/replace the spider? Any information is appreciated.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
PSB doesn't make 500's anymore. They are some great older speakers though, and that's a fantastic price. My suggestion would be to look for the part on ebay and audiogon for a bit before commiting to the order from PSB. Also call some local PSB dealers and see if they have any leftover components in stock, or if they would be willing to help you pick up the replacement piece a little cheaper, or evern if they can do the repair for cheaper. I can't help you with the original cost, but I can tell you that in 93 the speakers you bought became recommended components in Stereophile magazine.

A

azaudio

Audiophyte
I read that somewhere too... that these were recommended back in the day. I'm hoping that someone who bought them back then has some info on them. PSB didn't have any specs for me (like power handling and sensitivity), but maybe someone has an owner's manual. I did check on ebay for 8" speakers, but I decided to wait until I learn what ohm I need to get. At first I thought I could just get an 8-ohm speaker, but after seeing different ohm ratings in other speakers (higher, like 12) I figured I should do some more research.

These speakers are nice though! When I took the 8" out to look at it, I got to see how well built they are. There is a lot of reinforcement inside, and thick insulation. The speakers are pretty heavy considering they only have an 8" speaker and a tweeter.

A

azaudio

Audiophyte
Here are some photos of the speakers... hopefully someone has some more info on them for me.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
The 500's retailed for 500 a pair up to the late 90's from what I recall. These where great speakers with a warm smooth sound and strong bass.

The PSB Image line is the direct replacement for the #00 series.

I would get back on the phone with PSB and speak with someone higher up to get the specs. I find it insane that PSB does not have the specs for those speakers. If they still cant seem to help you I would write a letter to Paul Barton himself and ask WHY. A major speaker company should have the specs for every product they have ever manufactured.

That is one insane deal for those speakers.

Last edited:
A

azaudio

Audiophyte
anamorphic96 said:
That is one insane deal for those speakers.

Thanks for the info- I will definitely call PSB again. I use a DA5ES for my HT setup, and I'm sure I have enough power to push the PSB's, but I'd still like to know their specs.

And yeah, I did get a great deal, even with one bad speaker. I hope to replace both 8" drivers soon.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
If I had to venture a guess on the frequency repsonse I would guess it gets down to the 40 hz range.

P.S. Dont be afraid to be pushy when you get back on the phone with them. If they cant help you let them you know you will be writing to Paul and expressing your displeasure with the fact that his company cant offer basic product info. Even if the product has been discontinued.

It really irritates when companies pull this crap.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis