Need help identifying a horn driver

I

ItsMe

Audiophyte
I have a University Loudspeaker model 27c21 horn with an unknown driver. There does not appear to be any markings on the driver to help identify it. I would like some help identifying what it is. This is an outdoor model used at the local fairgrounds and they wanted to use them if they work rather than buying new. There are budget issues at play so new may not be an option, although my suspicion is to get things working correctly new drivers will be required.

I built a signal generator intentionally weak just to test it. I could not detect anything. Forgot my multimeter so I was unable to see if the voice coil even works. I may have to remove it and open it to inspect for insects (mud chunks came out of the horn when I tapped it) which may yield the answers I seek but until I get permission I thought I would try to get a jump on getting info.

At the very least I need to know (presumably I can get that from a data sheet if it is not so old that none exist anymore):
minimum wattage to drive it
maximum wattage it can handle
max peak to peak voltage of the input signal

Thanks,

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a University Loudspeaker model 27c21 horn with an unknown driver. There does not appear to be any markings on the driver to help identify it. I would like some help identifying what it is. This is an outdoor model used at the local fairgrounds and they wanted to use them if they work rather than buying new. There are budget issues at play so new may not be an option, although my suspicion is to get things working correctly new drivers will be required.

I built a signal generator intentionally weak just to test it. I could not detect anything. Forgot my multimeter so I was unable to see if the voice coil even works. I may have to remove it and open it to inspect for insects (mud chunks came out of the horn when I tapped it) which may yield the answers I seek but until I get permission I thought I would try to get a jump on getting info.

At the very least I need to know (presumably I can get that from a data sheet if it is not so old that none exist anymore):
minimum wattage to drive it
maximum wattage it can handle
max peak to peak voltage of the input signal

Thanks,
I Have checked and there are no parts available for those old University Horns. They were a subsidiary of Altec Lansing.

The diaphragms will be well rusted out by now.

Junk them and replace.

Is that part of a 70 volt PA system? I suspect it is.

I

ItsMe

Audiophyte
I have no idea what they are. I dont actually work for the fairgrounds I am just friends with the manager and he asked a favor so everything requires permission before doing things, which includes disassembly to measure and inspect.

There is no sound board or in the case of that horn wires hooked up anymore. The others have some wires but it does not appear to connect to anything (I kinda lose it as I follow it being literally zip tied to a power line - just to give you an idea of what I am working with).

No one currently at the fairgrounds even knows the last time they were used. They just are tired of renting gear for events, some events are too small to rent gear for which poses a problem.

I

ItsMe

Audiophyte
upon further research I do not believe that this is a 70v system. The reasons are:
1. no transformers at or near the horns, nor signs one ever was there. This includes a couple of horns on a pole with wire still connected. It could be in the driver but I dunno without opening it and looking.
2. only 1 pair of terminals to connect to. while you can daisy chain off that my research indicates that 1 pair of terminals is less common with 70v systems.

I am not an audio guy so my research may be off.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

upon further research I do not believe that this is a 70v system. The reasons are:
1. no transformers at or near the horns, nor signs one ever was there. This includes a couple of horns on a pole with wire still connected. It could be in the driver but I dunno without opening it and looking.
2. only 1 pair of terminals to connect to. while you can daisy chain off that my research indicates that 1 pair of terminals is less common with 70v systems.

If it wasn't a 70 volt system it should have been.

I would replace it with a new 70 volt PA system.

highfigh

highfigh

I have no idea what they are. I dont actually work for the fairgrounds I am just friends with the manager and he asked a favor so everything requires permission before doing things, which includes disassembly to measure and inspect.

There is no sound board or in the case of that horn wires hooked up anymore. The others have some wires but it does not appear to connect to anything (I kinda lose it as I follow it being literally zip tied to a power line - just to give you an idea of what I am working with).

No one currently at the fairgrounds even knows the last time they were used. They just are tired of renting gear for events, some events are too small to rent gear for which poses a problem.
The size of the area will determine what is needed and if these were used at a time when they were already old and at SPL they weren't designed for, it's likely that they failed at that time. If the fair grounds has several stages and areas with seating where the PA is typically used for music/speech, 70V isn't needed- that's used for widely-spaced speaker locations with long cable runs, not when the system and speakers are in closer proximity.

To be honest, the first step should be to determine:

Where speakers are needed for announcements
Where stages and amplified sound is needed
Whether the announcements will need to be played over the staged systems
Budget- stating a budget before the rest will only result in failure to meet the needs of the venue.

highfigh

highfigh

Look at the mount for these horns- if they were mounted on poles, I would expect to see screw holes near the bracket for a junction box if the system was designed correctly.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis