Need help for pool area setup...

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Hi all!!

Used to be a long time poster and been off for a while. Slowly getting back into the mix of things. I am currently putting a pool in the backyard and decided on a "party music setup". I have 2 JBL Control 29av-1 speakers and a JBL Control SB2210 subwoofer. The 29s are powered by a Crown XLS1002 and the Sub by another Crown XLS1002 in bridged mode. I' currently playing with the crossover of the amps. These are being run with a Sonos connect. The problem I'm having is that there is bleed through when I move the balance from left to right. The signal currently goes from the Sonos to the Crown powering the 29s, then from there via 1/4 jacks via the OUTPUT Link on the Crown to a single XLR which goes into CH1 of the Crown powering the sub. Without the splitter, there is no bleed through. Could it be the cable? What other options do I have to avoid this?

Attachments

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hi all!!

Used to be a long time poster and been off for a while. Slowly getting back into the mix of things. I am currently putting a pool in the backyard and decided on a "party music setup". I have 2 JBL Control 29av-1 speakers and a JBL Control SB2210 subwoofer. The 29s are powered by a Crown XLS1002 and the Sub by another Crown XLS1002 in bridged mode. I' currently playing with the crossover of the amps. These are being run with a Sonos connect. The problem I'm having is that there is bleed through when I move the balance from left to right. The signal currently goes from the Sonos to the Crown powering the 29s, then from there via 1/4 jacks via the OUTPUT Link on the Crown to a single XLR which goes into CH1 of the Crown powering the sub. Without the splitter, there is no bleed through. Could it be the cable? What other options do I have to avoid this?
The output from crown 1 to crown 2 to is via TRS to xlr cable?

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Cool. Thanks. Before I tried an RCA Y-splitter and had the same issue. Then switched to this cable and again. Same problem.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
How are you summing the audio?

You need to sum the audio to balanced audio. Or you can go into the other amplifier using the RCA inputs on the amplifier. Not sure how the Crown treats the two inputs if you are running a bridged mono setup. But, you have to ensure that you are putting the left on the positive pin of the XLR cable and the right on the negative pin of the XLR cable or you will lose most audio during playback. You must properly sum the left and right audio to a single channel.

Seems like a wiring issue. I would take a single TRS to TRS cable into the second amp and see if that passes proper audio for a single channel.

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
They're going from the TRS in each channel to a single XLR that's into channel one of the bridges amp. If I unplug one of the TRS, the problem goes away.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
But... HOW?
With a passive cable?
What is the wiring of that cable?

Really, what you need, is a audio summing adapter. (ASA) to take the balanced stereo audio out of the Crown TRS and into the mono input of the second Crown.

It sounds like the passive wiring was not done properly, and is the wrong product to be using. Especially when you switch to a TRS/XLR cable and it works fine with a single channel of audio.

Looking online, people think that most TRS cables are unbalanced stereo, instead of balanced Mono connectors.

I would think you really want this in line: https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/042050-galaxy-audio-jibc-2-to-1-xlr-mic-combiner

Two of these cables to go from the first amp to the mic mixer: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4760

One of these cables to go from the mixer to the second amp: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4754

Looks like it can all be working perfectly for about 50 bucks.

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Perfect. Ordered it. Literature says there is a 10db loss when summing. I would assume I can counter act that by bringing the gain on the mains amp back to match the levels correctly with the sub amp. Correct? Or maybe will be barely noticeable since I have them crossed over at 100hz?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Perfect. Ordered it. Literature says there is a 10db loss when summing. I would assume I can counter act that by bringing the gain on the mains amp back to match the levels correctly with the sub amp. Correct? Or maybe will be barely noticeable since I have them crossed over at 100hz?
Just checked and the summing is on input, but I see BMX took care of it. Good luck!

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Thanks. So on the last question, is that correct about matching with the 10db loss?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The 10dB drop is per channel. When they are summed, it typically returns to a net 0dB loss. It is standard when summing a stereo source to mono to drop the inputs down some so that the resulting output is the same level that it was before.

In the end, this is all overcome by just turning things up or down a bit if you need to, but I think I am correct on how a stereo mix to mono is typically treated.

You should hear very good audio on the output side without any change to volume when compared to a single channel driving the same audio. The difference will be that now it is a properly summed stereo signal. Good luck with all of it and let us know how it goes. I live in a slightly different world when it comes to this type of gear and I use a digital signal processor (DSP) for most of the mixing I do. But, I've used stuff from RDL and others at times over the years with good results.

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Awesome. Thanks. Should get it Wednesday. Any tips on setting the crossover settings?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Awesome. Thanks. Should get it Wednesday. Any tips on setting the crossover settings?

I'd just experiment since the bass lower waves will likely be able to travel to their full length.

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Well, got the box today, hooked it all up and there is a weird echo/crosstalk/bleedthrough going on. The signal is very weak. I don't know what it is.

I ordered the Radial Engineering 2:1 mixer to try out. Hopefully this will work. When I asked Crown tech support they recommended this one and another model from JIB (not the one recommended earlier on the thread).

Any ideas what it could be?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Well, got the box today, hooked it all up and there is a weird echo/crosstalk/bleedthrough going on. The signal is very weak. I don't know what it is.

I ordered the Radial Engineering 2:1 mixer to try out. Hopefully this will work. When I asked Crown tech support they recommended this one and another model from JIB (not the one recommended earlier on the thread).

Any ideas what it could be?

I'm at a loss at this point, sorry. Usually the summing would have taken care of it.

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
lol no worries. Hopefully this Rival Audio will solve it. We shall see.....

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Got the Rival unit and that was the trick. All is perfect now. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis