Need help decoding speaker wires

Primus2112

Primus2112

Audiophyte
Hi all,

Would anyone know what the patterns on this photo attached correspond to in terms of Left/Right and Negative/Positive? I see one that is black and the other 3 have different patterns. Not sure if I should guess that the one next to the black one is one channel and the other two are for the other channel.

I have the NK6 Nakamichi sound bar with subwoofer and wanted to mod by trying out separate speakers in lieu of the soundbar which is giving out nasty vibration / rattle. I would prefer to try this than returning the unit.
I will be using a new connector from speakers to sub power box once I figure out what the speaker codes on wires are since I don't see how to teardown the soundbar easily.
wire.jpg

Thanks!!!

Robert

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Dunno about anyone else but I've never seen anything like that. There is no "standard" for speaker wires. The best I can suggest is that you trace each one and see where they come from and go.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi all,

Would anyone know what the patterns on this photo attached correspond to in terms of Left/Right and Negative/Positive? I see one that is black and the other 3 have different patterns. Not sure if I should guess that the one next to the black one is one channel and the other two are for the other channel.

I have the NK6 Nakamichi sound bar with subwoofer and wanted to mod by trying out separate speakers in lieu of the soundbar which is giving out nasty vibration / rattle. I would prefer to try this than returning the unit.
I will be using a new connector from speakers to sub power box once I figure out what the speaker codes on wires are since I don't see how to teardown the soundbar easily.View attachment 16939

Thanks!!!

Robert
Don't waste time with it. That unit is unmitigated junk and worse.

Nak was a famous brand. They went bankrupt in 2002 and the name was bought to manufacture the worst of the worst junk. A totally sad situation and basically fraud, though I suppose not legally but it should be.

Your first tip off should have been the price.

Basically the big box stores and the Internet ware house are just stocked floor to ceiling with absolute misery units. Sound bars I note are pretty much the bottom of the barrel as a group.

Avoid junk. The most expensive purchases you ever make, to say nothing of the frustration that goes with it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The reason I was up late was far worse than you think, trying to help this guy! This is a warning to all members trying to assist with help for junk equipment posts.

I went to the NAK USA site. Poor! There was a download button for this POS, except there were no downloads. None of my usual sources, like manuals on line, or Hi-Fi Engine had it.

There was a site that claimed to have it. As soon as I clicked to download the manual all hell broke loose. Windows went nuts with warning, but the criminals were quicker. Several programs with around 45 MB of data were downloaded. It froze the modify or remove programs.

One of the nasty programs was System Healer. There were numerous others.

The system would not reboot, except to send a message with a number to call to fix Windows! I'm sure you all know what that means. Any how in no time this download had managed to put over 1500 corrupting items on the computer. I had to go to the Net on one of my other computers to find out how to fix this mess.

It took me six hours. I think I have got rid of all the corrupt programs, and everything seems to be operating fast and normally. However I'm on a look out for any remnants to bubble up from the operating system. It also broke a bunch of links, especially to my browsers.

I think this outfit took over Windows Explorer or Outlook, or both which I never use.

Anyhow the lesson for the day is this: - Be very careful trying to assist with requests to help with junk equipment. If there is not help on the manufacturers site, then go to manuals on line or Hi-Fi engine and NO further.

It is certainly possible that the famous NAK brand is in the hand of criminals, which might explain why this unit is so cheap. It seems they are all pretty much unusable with buzzing speakers.

Put it on the market and set up a rogue site to ensnare anyone looking for help. It might be they even put posts on forums like this.

I have had very few attacks, in fact I think this is only the second attack I have experienced. This was by far the worst and very serious.

In future when encountering these type of situations we all need to shout in unison: - DUMP THE JUNK, DUMP THE JUNK, DUMP THE JUNK!

Primus2112

Primus2112

Audiophyte
Cool, thanks guys for the heads up! I will see if i can return them asap.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Last I knew Sears was selling these NAK soundbars in their stores, and IIRC the prices were cheapish.

Waste of a once respected name brand in audio. Makes the Soundspace era NAK gear seem glorious (and it was rubbish too).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Last I knew Sears was selling these NAK soundbars in their stores, and IIRC the prices were cheapish.

Waste of a once respected name brand in audio. Makes the Soundspace era NAK gear seem glorious (and it was rubbish too).
Basically it is fraud. However in bankruptcies the lawyers are turning over the cushions for spare change to get the creditors all they can. Often the most valuable asset is the name. Problem is the good reputable guys don't need the name, just the junksters.

NAKs problem was that their main business mainstay was cassette recorders. That was a dead end technology and one that was costly and fussy to make work well. Even then the sound was much more pinched than a good LP. However it was handier than reel to reel and the running costs much less. Reel to reel machines were, and are, costly to keep loaded.

Anyhow I have one nice professional MR 1 NAK cassette recorder on display in the museum from their glory days, now long past.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Just sad. Sounds like what happened to Carver Corp and a handful of others back in the 90's.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis