Need Help deciding...

D

dgagvgeg

Audiophyte
Okay so I wish to update my setup in my living room. I am going to list what I currently have and what I am looking at in terms of price.

Current setup
Receiver - Marantz 6010
Center Channel - Def Tech CS-9040
Bookshelf Speakers - Def Tech - Pair of Def Tech Studio Monitor 65
Rear speakers - Klipsch - Half moon surround speakers, (bought years ago)
Subwoofer - Klipsch - 10inch Sub

I was going to get some Def Tech tower speakers, like the 9060s, but honestly I do not feel they perform as good as other speakers I have heard on music applications. Luckily I work at best buy so I do get a decent discount on speakers. The following is what I have been trying to research and see what the best speaker setup would be.

Floor Speakers
Kef Q-950 series
SvS Ultra Towers
Wharfedale Diamond 250s
Elac FSU-5
Subwoofer
Svs 10 SB 1000
Center
Svs Ulta center
Rears
rears to math front speakers

So my questions to the community would be, what speaker would you recommend based on that price range. Also want to know if my current Marantz receiver is good enough to power these speakers, I will be say 80% Movies 20% Music

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Not knowing your room size andi listening habits, a 10" sub for HT is meh. Give a little more info on distance to main listening position, movies, music, or both. Listen at moderate volumes? Etc..

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Okay so I wish to update my setup in my living room. I am going to list what I currently have and what I am looking at in terms of price.

Current setup
Receiver - Marantz 6010
Center Channel - Def Tech CS-9040
Bookshelf Speakers - Def Tech - Pair of Def Tech Studio Monitor 65
Rear speakers - Klipsch - Half moon surround speakers, (bought years ago)
Subwoofer - Klipsch - 10inch Sub

I was going to get some Def Tech tower speakers, like the 9060s, but honestly I do not feel they perform as good as other speakers I have heard on music applications. Luckily I work at best buy so I do get a decent discount on speakers. The following is what I have been trying to research and see what the best speaker setup would be.

Floor Speakers
Kef Q-950 series
SvS Ultra Towers
Wharfedale Diamond 250s
Elac FSU-5
Subwoofer
Svs 10 SB 1000
Center
Svs Ulta center
Rears
rears to math front speakers

So my questions to the community would be, what speaker would you recommend based on that price range. Also want to know if my current Marantz receiver is good enough to power these speakers, I will be say 80% Movies 20% Music
The SVS Ultras would be the pick of the litter for that group. Your Marantz AVR ought to be plenty. Are you sure a 10" sealed sub will have enough output near infrasonics to pressurize your living room effectively? What's the volume in cubic feet of your living room? If you're skimping on the sub due to budget constraints, you might consider moving your DefTech bookshelfs to surround duty for the time being and plan to upgrade them later if needed.

D

dgagvgeg

Audiophyte
Not knowing your room size andi listening habits, a 10" sub for HT is meh. Give a little more info on distance to main listening position, movies, music, or both. Listen at moderate volumes? Etc..
The room size in on the smaller side, I would say 18x14 wide, but it does open into a dining area, we just kind of shut down at the French doors leading to the outside with home theater chairs, which would be about 10 to 12 feet from the listening area. I would say right now I use it mostly for movies, because the def tech bookshelf speakers are not really that great with the sub I have. But once upgraded I would say maybe 70% movies 30% music. I like to crank things up, especially a good movie, or some good music when I am in the mood.

D

dgagvgeg

Audiophyte
The SVS Ultras would be the pick of the litter for that group. Your Marantz AVR ought to be plenty. Are you sure a 10" sealed sub will have enough output near infrasonics to pressurize your living room effectively? What's the volume in cubic feet of your living room? If you're skimping on the sub due to budget constraints, you might consider moving your DefTech bookshelfs to surround duty for the time being and plan to upgrade them later if needed.
It really wasn't about budget, are you saying a ported sub would be better? I was also looking at, the SB-2000 or the PC-2000, but not sure how the round sub enclosure would sound. From the reviews and what Best Buy carries as far as me using my discount, I thought SvS subs would be a good choice? Maybe I am wrong. As far as the room is considered, its an open floorplan into a dining room area, (which we don't use as a dining room) the living room is cut off by home theater chairs, its about 14 wide, and 18 long, but its about 30 feet long wall to wall, so I would have some space to fill.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Of those, I would probably go w/ SVS speakers & Sub.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The room size in on the smaller side, I would say 18x14 wide, but it does open into a dining area, we just kind of shut down at the French doors leading to the outside with home theater chairs, which would be about 10 to 12 feet from the listening area. I would say right now I use it mostly for movies, because the def tech bookshelf speakers are not really that great with the sub I have. But once upgraded I would say maybe 70% movies 30% music. I like to crank things up, especially a good movie, or some good music when I am in the mood.
As for the speakers, it's really personal preference and having said that, I'd go with ultras from SVS up front, SVS prime for the surrounds and a pair of PC or PB 2000 subs. If you can swing the PB 12 plus with your discount go for it. Sub is gonna give the "slam" for HT you want. You could even skip the towers and get the bookshelves instead and that will add more to the sub budget since the majority of your listening is HT.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis