Need help deciding between 2 receivers

T

the_marked

Audiophyte
Hi! I'm looking for a receiver recommendation. I'm deciding between the Denon AVR-X3700H and AVR-X4700H. I know a couple of key differences are 2 vs 3 zones and the wattage per channel. There's about a $500 price difference but I'd rather not spend the extra if it's just overkill. I'm wondering if the 105w vs 125w matters for my purposes (music via phono and movies/tv). My current setup is:

2 GoldenEar Aon 2 Bookshelf speakers (L/R)

Klipsch R52CB Centre

GoldenEar ForceField 3 Sub

2 Micca M-8C ceiling speakers in kitchen (behind open family room)

2 Polk RC80i speakers outside (to be used for Zone 2).

Any advice is appreciated! :)

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Hi! I'm looking for a receiver recommendation. I'm deciding between the Denon AVR-X3700H and AVR-X4700H. I know a couple of key differences are 2 vs 3 zones and the wattage per channel. There's about a $500 price difference but I'd rather not spend the extra if it's just overkill. I'm wondering if the 105w vs 125w matters for my purposes (music via phono and movies/tv).
Here is the list of features the 4700 has that the 3700 does not:
1. Auro 3D capable
2. 32 bit D.D.S.C. HD Digital
3. AL32 Processing Multichannel
4. Jitter Reduction
5. Bass Sync
6. One more HDMI input
7. Front HDMI A/V Input
8. One more zone
9. Composite outs
10. Two line front display vs one
11. Gold plated RCA terminals
12. Bigger Power Supply
13. 125 W per channel
14. Lower Analog Distortion
15. Higher S/N Ratio

The features seem worth it to me. I would go with the 4700. Your preference may be different? The difference in features is not always obvious.

For instance, I really like the two line display versus one. There are several 4700 features I would miss if I moved to a 3700. But, if you didn't know what you're missing it might not matter?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Here is the list of features the 4700 has that the 3700 does not:
1. Auro 3D capable
2. 32 bit D.D.S.C. HD Digital
3. AL32 Processing Multichannel
4. Jitter Reduction
5. Bass Sync
6. One more HDMI input
7. Front HDMI A/V Input
8. One more zone
9. Composite outs
10. Two line front display vs one
11. Gold plated RCA terminals
12. Bigger Power Supply
13. 125 W per channel
14. Lower Analog Distortion
15. Higher S/N Ratio

The features seem worth it to me. I would go with the 4700. Your preference may be different? The difference in features is not always obvious.

For instance, I really like the two line display versus one. There are several 4700 features I would miss if I moved to a 3700. But, if you didn't know what you're missing it might not matter?
Worth it if you plan to use them all. For me, I don't need any of those features and the extra 20 watts is a pretty small difference. Less than 1 dB.

So yes, I would agree it's worth it if you have use for most, if not all of those additional features. I think most folks would be just as well off with the 3700 tho. I would. It retains the major features I look for like Audyssey MultEQ XT32, independent sub outs, the preamp mode and some others.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
You might get by with a 7.1 channel for your set-up. The 3700X might even be an overkill on your list vs the 7.1 channel 2700X for your needs.

The center speaker, if you require or have Klipsch, you might want to think their RP series for improved dialog.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You might get by with a 7.1 channel for your set-up. The 3700X might even be an overkill on your list vs the 7.1 channel 2700X for your needs.

The center speaker, if you require or have Klipsch, you might want to think their RP series for improved dialog.
I think for Denon the 3*** series is right in the sweet spot. It has advanced room correction, independent sub outputs and preamp mode among others. To me MultEQ XT32 alone is worth the step up from the 2*** series. When they refresh the series you can usually grab a previous year model for well under $1000.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis