need help choosing speaker cables!!!!!

R

Rellik

Audiophyte
Hi all!

I'm trying to setup a new surround sound system using Klipsch RF35 (front), RC35, RB35 (rear) and RW12 (sub), all have 8ohm resistance, and have a Pioneer Elite 54TX reciever. I can't decide what cables to buy to hook it all up. Is there a big difference between single-strand (solid core) and multi-stranded twisted wire in performance? I read the cable-wire face off, but don't know what model the Monster cable-navajo was. From www.monstercable.com site, I thought XPHP-CI looked good, but is this overkill? Also, I can't tell what gauge it is. One article on this site said 10-12 AWG should be used. Can I use this for all my speakers, or is there something better performing/more economical to use? Their Z-1, Z-2, Z-3 cables look pricey, but I'll pay it if it really makes a noticable difference for the front speakers. Thanks for any suggestions you might give ... it sure is a lot of info to sift through.

Rellik :eek:

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
You won't find many Monster fans on this site. Either try the Soundking 12 ga. at partsexpress.com or for a nicer look at about the same price try the Belden 5000 series in 12 ga. at:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

Bluejeans has great service and you can order exactly what you need instead of a big spool. You can use either of these wires for all speakers. If you want terminations you can either have Bluejeans do it for you or do it yourself. Check the recent thread going regarding banana plugs for more info on terminations.

Looks like you have a nice system going there. :)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Rellik said:
Hi all!

I'm trying to setup a new surround sound system using Klipsch RF35 (front), RC35, RB35 (rear) and RW12 (sub), all have 8ohm resistance, and have a Pioneer Elite 54TX reciever. I can't decide what cables to buy to hook it all up. Is there a big difference between single-strand (solid core) and multi-stranded twisted wire in performance? I read the cable-wire face off, but don't know what model the Monster cable-navajo was. From www.monstercable.com site, I thought XPHP-CI looked good, but is this overkill? Also, I can't tell what gauge it is. One article on this site said 10-12 AWG should be used. Can I use this for all my speakers, or is there something better performing/more economical to use? Their Z-1, Z-2, Z-3 cables look pricey, but I'll pay it if it really makes a noticable difference for the front speakers. Thanks for any suggestions you might give ... it sure is a lot of info to sift through. Rellik :eek:

Stray away from Monster. It is a monster of a company intimidating other, smaller companies beacuse they have a generic name in their business.

Their cables do work but are way over priced. But then, other cables do work as well, for far less ;)
You may want to add other sources such as Home Depot for 12ga or 14 ga stranded speaker wire, about $.30/ft.

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
Yes, go with the stuff at partsexpress or bluejeanscable

Either that or do the home depot route. Some of the home depot generic clear cable turns color (oxidize) after a while which may not be visually appealing. I had a length that became dark brown/green after a while (it shouldn't affect conductivity though)

R

Rellik

Audiophyte
Monster cable ad

Monster cable touts one of their lines as having "time correction". Is this all bunk, or is it really important? I think I will try your suggestions though and look into more reasonably-priced wire.

Thanks

Rellik

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Rellik said:
Monster cable touts one of their lines as having "time correction". Is this all bunk, or is it really important? I think I will try your suggestions though and look into more reasonably-priced wire.

Thanks

Rellik

It is irrelevant :D

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
10 AWG speaker wire from Home Depot is the best speaker wire you can get for your system. Just ask the editor here. Simple cheap rca cables from Radio Shack are fine for the rest of the setup. Don't spend a lot on interconnects. It's a major waste of good money.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Rellik said:

Thanks

Rellik
This time correction thing is complete nonsense. You have a lot of good suggestions here like AR or Home Depot. I personally buy Radio Shack 14 guage because they have a store near me, they are priced reasonably and they will sound the same as any of the other suggestions you have received.

Nick

R

Rellik

Audiophyte
One last thing

Is there a difference between single stranded (solid core) vs. twisted multi-stranded in performance?

Thanks again for all the great advice.

Rellik

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Good question. Yes, single stranded is better than braided. It's not used because it's not flexible and too hard to work with. You can use romex or RG6 12/2, but you won't hear a difference, and it will be ugly as sin unless you can bury it behind the baseboard, wall or under the floor.

Last edited:
MasterChief

MasterChief

Junior Audioholic
yes very true. damn that single strand wire. lol i work with them at work and school. they can be a pain for the reasons buckey fan stated.

Dumar

Audioholic
Rellik said:
Is there a difference between single stranded (solid core) vs. twisted multi-stranded in performance?Rellik
If you're just running the wire along the floor, stay with the flexible stranded wire as Buckeyefan1 suggests.

You really don't need anything as big as 10 gauge, unless you're hooking up your speakers at your buddy's place at the end of the street (10 gauge is good to about 30 amps, that's 7200 watts @ 8 ohms). 12 gauge is plenty big enough for the lengths required in most home theater applications.

Another point to consider is whether to buy unshielded twisted pair (utp) or regular zip cord (not twisted/not shielded). The benefit derived from twisting the two wires together is that the cable is less susceptible to EMI, even without shielding. If you're considering bi-amping your fronts, you can get unshielded two-pair twisted 12 gauge in a single jacket, which works quite well.

N

NetGeek

Junior Audioholic
Belden 5000 UE

I bought this cable from Blue Jean Cable and love it! I replaced my Monster 16ga. with this 12ga. wire because my rear surrounds were 50ft +. This cable is very thin and stiff and pulls through walls & attics very easy; it is not made up with many small strands of wire like Sound King and most other brands of speaker wire but uses 20 thicker wires in it's bundle. It is much easier to strip and terminate and works great with the Monster Quick-Lock type of connector.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis