Need help choosing replacement Subwoofer driver

S

solbaru

Audiophyte
About 15 years ago I found a DIY subwoofer project on a site like this and proceeded to build it.
The subwoofer was based around a Adire Audio Shiva driver with a 15"" passive radiator.
Unfortunately the Driver has decided to die on me so I will need to replace it. (voicecoil issue) I have looked at re-coning the current driver but cant find parts to do that so am looking at replacing the driver now.
The kit I originally used as a complete instruction So i never had to work out any of the finer details in choosing a driver, so I don't really know the technical aspects of that.
The box I built uses the Shiva driver in a down firing config and the passive radiator front facing. The box is Approx 5.25cubic ft, 150litres. the model number of the shiva is 121947A
Does anyone know how I workout what driver to replace it with or give me any tips and what I do next?
Thanks in advance.
Nick

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
About 15 years ago I found a DIY subwoofer project on a site like this and proceeded to build it.
The subwoofer was based around a Adire Audio Shiva driver with a 15"" passive radiator.
Unfortunately the Driver has decided to die on me so I will need to replace it. (voicecoil issue) I have looked at re-coning the current driver but cant find parts to do that so am looking at replacing the driver now.
The kit I originally used as a complete instruction So i never had to work out any of the finer details in choosing a driver, so I don't really know the technical aspects of that.
The box I built uses the Shiva driver in a down firing config and the passive radiator front facing. The box is Approx 5.25cubic ft, 150litres. the model number of the shiva is 121947A
Does anyone know how I workout what driver to replace it with or give me any tips and what I do next?
Thanks in advance.
Nick
You need to build a new sub. You can just about never find a suitable replacement driver. T/S parameters just never match well enough. Far less work to start from scratch. I certainly have better things to do than go on that fruitless search. That sub is done so give it a decent burial and move on.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd start over also. Something special about the box? Curious, only one PR....was it another Adire unit? Could think about a different amp, too....maybe external to make boxes a bit more flexible for such.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis