need feedback on JBL SCS200.7 system

S

ssrp

Audiophyte
newbie question - Upon searching a lot, I found JBL SCS 200.7 speakers, but I could not find any reviews on it. These speakers are small, under $300 and have robust make with all metal frame making them child proof. As I have a little one in my house who keeps playing with everything around - I thought JBL would be a good choice.

Can anyone give me a feedback on these speakers? The only other alternative I have is Klipsch Quintet II for the same price & size, except that Quintet is not hard-framed.

Is JBL 200.7 of good quality or do I compromise the hard-metal (Tungsten) frame to the cloth casing of Klipsch Quintet II?

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I recently, blindly spent almost 2 grand on "top of the line" JBL speakers. They are barely adequate in my opinion. Flat response. Okay looks. Too big for what they deliver. I wish I had discovered this forum before I bought. (I live in the boonies, and have no A/V store within 75 miles.) I didn't even have a decent means of comparing speakers without shipping them in.

I just ended up adding an Hsu STF-1 sub (8") to the setup. It has WAY more spl than the 12" monster 400W S120Pll JBL sub.

I'm sure others have different and better ideas, as I am sort of a newb here. But I'd take that money and look at used and upgrade. Either that, or spend a lot more for some decent speakers. What is important in your selection is what you want for the system...HT or music? How large is the room they're going in? You'll see those questions constantly if you read some of the threads in this forum. If all you care about is child proof boxes that make noise, those are better than most.

Good luck in your search.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
My first purchase was also JBL, and I too wish I'd found this forum first. These little speakers are really no good compared to alternatives. I don't want to sound too condemning but you can do much better for the money. I'm not telling you what to buy, but if you can only budget $300 US I don't think you can beat this package Athena micra 6. This is the package that won the budget system award on this site. If you go to the recommended systems page, and look under the budget system you will get a great review. The all metal might seem like a good idea, but I think you'd be better served by using the included mounting brackets of the athenas to position the speakers out of harms way. If you're in the same position I was a while ago then you've nver heard of athena, and are probably very familiar with the JBL name. Athena is a Canadian company, and they are owned by a high end speaker manufacturer that also produces Mirage and Energy speakers. All three brands are very well respected in the speaker community. The Athena is the "value brand". Just look up some reviews of this system on google, and go to the athena website to see for yourself.

By the way, I can even remember the review that sold me on JBL. It contained the tag line "over 80% of movie theaters use JBL speakers". That figure is probably true, But then again JBLs professional line of speakers are great products, and a theater will spend the cost of a new home in many cases on speakers and the electronics to run them properly.

Last edited:
J

JJMP50

Full Audioholic
I don't know what is behind JBL's strategy lately. They used to make excellent speakers. I have a pair of L1 Bookshelf speakers that are wonderful and I understand that the entire L series was great. Nowdays the only thing you see is their lower end crap. If you go to their website, they have a high line (several actually) but they are way overpriced and I've never seen them actually in a store. The last good product they had was their studio series which according to their web site is all but discontinued (a couple of outdoor models and a sub). I had also read that Dr. Fred Toole (famous Canadian speaker guy) was now in their employment which makes this even harder to understand.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
One thing is for certain, they DO a good job of marketing their products. Every DJ I know here in Oregon uses JBL Pro equipment. (It's pricy!)

I have the Studio Series speakers now, replacing my old L Series. They are okay. I just want more for the money I spent, and I suspect I could have gotten it.

But to the original poster....please do something that you like, but shop and compare before buying those JBL mini's.

S

ssrp

Audiophyte
any place to buy an extra speaker for Athena Micra 6

I was not aware of Athena Micra before making a post here, and now after reading all the reviews that looks to be the best. I can probably put a super-glue to the grill notches so that grill stays permanentsly on the speaker.

But I could not find any store where I can buy an additional speaker for Micra 6 to make it a 6.1 system. Can someone help me on this? If I can find the extra speaker - I will stop my search, make my purchase and listen to the music ;-)

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Sorry, I looked but couldn't find anywhere for you. Your best bet may be to contact them directly @ athenaspeakers.com and ask tehm for advise. Sorry again that I couldn't be more help.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis