McC

McC

Audioholic Intern
I'm just beginning to consider adding music streaming to my system. Currently, my streaming is limited to movies & TV via a Roku Ultra feeding the TV via HDMI and then Toslink to a Parasound Halo integrated. Good quality music streaming is lacking. Sound quality is my primary concern for this.

Initially, I was looking at a Bluesound Node due to its price, features, and popularity. However, I then started reading about the Cambridge CXN V2. That will stretch my budget a bit but it may be worth it. The folks at ASR reviewed both and the CXN V2 appeared to better the Node handily. I have also read that the CXN V2 uses an older Wolfson DAC, though its performance seems to be measurably better than the TI DAC used in the Node. The Halo I have (older version) also has its own ESS Sabre DAC further confusing the issue for me regarding the better one to use. I know the implementation is the main issue.

My sources for the streamer are likely to be Qobuz and my archaic Sony BDP-S360 Blue-Ray player. I'm currently using the DAC in the Halo for the player but I may use the DAC in the streamer if it's better. I do note that the CXN V2 has balanced outputs and the Halo has Balanced inputs.

I am well out of my element here. I'm leaning toward the CXN V2 based on the measured performance compared to the Node and the balanced connections. If the DAC is substantially better than what's in the Halo then I essentially have an internet tuner. If the DAC in the streamer sounds better then I have not only an internet tuner but also an upgraded DAC for my player as well as my TV. Apparently, the CXN V2 is designed to upsample everything so it may improve the TV sound.

So, what am I doing besides over-thinking this?

jinjuku

jinjuku

You have a lot of options. I'm a huge fan of a Raspberry Pi3 or 4 running Roipeee XL feeding a DAC.

You can then use a DNLA, Roon, JRiver, Spotify etc. You'll need to check DNLA support in Qobuz.

McC

McC

Audioholic Intern
The Andover Songbird is currently $99 but has limited inputs and only outputs HiRes via the mini jack. Toslink is limited to CD quality. I don't know if I want to DIY this or not. I would like to accomplish it without having to put an app on my phone but those options are limited. The Node has the inputs but isn't the performer the CXN is. But that's not pocket change for me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis