Need bluetooth "hands free" speakerphone system for car.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Starting July 2018, Georgia is requiring hands-free operation of cell phones.
I have a 2000 model Explorer which doesn't have a hands free system.
I was hoping someone here might be able to make a recommendation

W

Winkleswizard

Audioholic
Here are some ideas based on personal experience:

1. Not sure it qualifies, but if you have a newer smartphone that supports voice dialing, a simple dashboard mount is the cheapest way to go...

2. A dash mounted GPS with bluetooth. These can be a bit pricey as phone apps have mainly replaced them for many folks, but if you need/want a GPS, there are some pretty good ones. My wife does this as she uses her GPS prodessionally.

3. I had a 2001 Maxima and replaced its head-end with after-market one for around $200. The new unit had bluetooth dialing built in. This had the major advantage that the music would automatically be muted when making or in a call.

Hope this helps!

Ww

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Starting July 2018, Georgia is requiring hands-free operation of cell phones.
I have a 2000 model Explorer which doesn't have a hands free system.
I was hoping someone here might be able to make a recommendation
I have a Bluetooth receiver/FM transmitter that uses the radio- pairing is sometimes a PITA, but overall, it's not bad unless I drive past the antenna farm near my house. I can't really complain about the sound because I'm not expecting it to be great and it's the factory system.

Still need to answer by touching the phone- it's not voice-operated answering but it satisfies the requirement. Sometimes, using speaker phone over BT sounds bad on the other end because of feedback, so keep that in mind. For that matter, it's not always great without BT.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
For model year 2000, this was before all the fancy integrated navigation, backup cameras, touchscreen, etc.

If it were me, I would be looking at the complete head unit swap. I have done this for Pre-2000 or so vehicles and it typically isn't terribly difficult to do. I don't have any head units to recommend, but I would likely go have a look at Crutchfield first to see what they have (even though I may or may not actually purchase it from Crutchfield).

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
We have the law in WA, but haven’t seen it enforced yet. Half of the drivers here are on their phones...

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've never understood why people feel the need to talk on the phone while driving. When I drive into my apartment complex some joker is driving out, one hand on cell phone, one hand on steering, why couldn't that conversation take place BEFORE getting in the car? Just a pet peeve of mine.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
In CA you are now required to have your phone attached to a physical mount also if you are using it, meaning you can't claim you were using it for navigation.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
In CA you are now required to have your phone attached to a physical mount also if you are using it, meaning you can't claim you were using it for navigation.
I think that is the essence of the Ga law. You can use your phone, but cannot hold it. We have had a no texting law for a while, but it was generally not enforced because a person could easily be entering the destination in their phone GPS which was (amazingly) still legal.
I'm not sure what the new GPS rules are. You can still use your phone for GPS, but I would assume you need to set up the GPS before hitting the road. I know the rules require only one button press to answer or make a call.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Here are some ideas based on personal experience:

1. Not sure it qualifies, but if you have a newer smartphone that supports voice dialing, a simple dashboard mount is the cheapest way to go...

2. A dash mounted GPS with bluetooth. These can be a bit pricey as phone apps have mainly replaced them for many folks, but if you need/want a GPS, there are some pretty good ones. My wife does this as she uses her GPS prodessionally.

3. I had a 2001 Maxima and replaced its head-end with after-market one for around $200. The new unit had bluetooth dialing built in. This had the major advantage that the music would be muted when making or in a call.

Hope this helps!

Ww
I already have the dashboard mount, but thinking a bit larger speaker would be beneficial. My Pixel 6 with stereo speakers is better than most, but once you pile on road noise in a heavy rain, those tiny speakers can only do so much! The iPhones I have heard were atrociously harsh at high volume (which is disappointing, because I usually expect them to provide a very good and comfortable experience).
I only use the Explorer occasionally to keep it running or when I need to haul stuff, so I can't justify installing a new head unit. My daily driver has the built in bluetooth.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
That was essentially what I was looking for, but figure I will pay a bit more for one better adapted to the car.
I may be placing too much on being designed for the car, but I would hope it would be designed to suffer the heat a little better and have background noise suppression.

I am going to give this one a shot:
https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Bluetooth-Handsfree-Assistant-Speakerphone/dp/B0796QSR27/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pdt_img_top?ie=UTF8

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Buy a new car?
No way!
This is like the perfect beater car!
It only has 145k miles. I have two friends that had these (same drive train) and they both broke 300k! One of those ran low on oil and the oil pressure gauge was bouncing from zero to normal and back for a couple of days (maybe more, that is what his kid confessed to - he was clueless what that gauge meant before his dad freaked out!) and still made 300k!
It cranks every time (even if I repeatedly neglect it for 2-3 weeks at a time).

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I've never understood why people feel the need to talk on the phone while driving. When I drive into my apartment complex some joker is driving out, one hand on cell phone, one hand on steering, why couldn't that conversation take place BEFORE getting in the car? Just a pet peeve of mine.
I very rarely (if ever) make calls from my car; however, I will defend answering the phone as long as I have family.
Regarding your intent, I am not one who just chats.
I do know people who use phone conversation for entertainment while driving. I am okay with that (and like the hands free requirement). Texting and driving is where I see accidents or inattentive driving. I believe the statistics support that texting and driving is very dangerous. I have not seen the numbers on phone call related accidents, but I doubt they are worse than having young kids in the back seat!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I very rarely (if ever) make calls from my car; however, I will defend answering the phone as long as I have family.
Regarding your intent, I am not one who just chats.
I do know people who use phone conversation for entertainment while driving. I am okay with that (and like the hands free requirement). Texting and driving is where I see accidents or inattentive driving. I believe the statistics support that texting and driving is very dangerous. I have not seen the numbers on phone call related accidents, but I doubt they are worse than having young kids in the back seat!
Call related accidents are usually from people that are holding the phone. I'd have to think hands free calls wouldn't really be an issue at all. Reaching back to smack your kids would be worse as you said...that or just plowing into a wall to stop the "are we there yet?" questions.

Texting and driving is worse than drunk driving IMHO. At least drunks are looking at the road. The penalty for texting and driving should almost be as bad as a DUI/DWI. It's crazy how many deaths are caused by car crashes.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
This is long overdue. I've been rear-ended four times three of them were from texting and driving.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This is long overdue. I've been rear-ended four times three of them were from texting and driving.
Yikes! Not a good percentage at all! Phone use is part of the reason I don't like to road bike much any more except out where there's no cell service (fortunately that's easily found here), I feel safer out there.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
If you would wear clothes more often you won't get rear-ended as much....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis