Need advice purchasing a new receiver...

A

Av8rdh3

Audiophyte
I'm replacing an old Denon 4308ci, so I can run two Atmos ceiling speakers and have 4k ability. I have purchased a Denon 3500h (AKM DAC) for $550 from Crutchfield, but I'm starting to think I may need a 4500h, for 7 channel input, so I may run my Oppo Blu-Ray 105 with analog cables instead of bitstream. Also, the room is big (sits over 3 car garage with a high ceiling (All OLD Energy Veritas Speakers (front 2 powered by Parasound amp) and REL sub. Is the DAC in the 4500h (32 bit DDSC) worth the extra $550? Will I notice a difference utilizing the analog cables? (SACD, DVD AUDIO) Thanks...

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm replacing an old Denon 4308ci, so I can run two Atmos ceiling speakers and have 4k ability. I have purchased a Denon 3500h for $550 from Crutchfield, but I'm starting to think I may need a 4500h, for 7 channel input, so I may run my Oppo Blu-Ray 105 with analog cables instead of bitstream. Also, the room is big (sits over 3 car garage with a high ceiling (All OLD Energy Veritas Speakers (front 2 powered by Parasound amp) and REL sub. Is the DAC in the 4500h worth the extra $550? Will I notice a difference utilizing the analog cables? Thanks...
First of all, as a matter of facts:

- No current Denon models except the flag ship models such as the AVR-X7200WA and AVR-X8500H offer "7 channel analog input" for use with your Oppo BDP via analog.

- The AVR-4308CI, based on S&V measurements, is among the top five of all AVR ever measured in power output into 8 or 4 ohms two channel driven, and among top 6 or 7 in output into 8 ohms 7 channel driven simultaneously. So if your rooms is big, depending on which Veritas models you have, the current D&M models may struggle a little more than the 4308CI would, though probably not very significant as 2X the power output would result in only 3 dB SPL difference, especially since you are already using an external amp for the front two channels.

- The X4500H has the same DAC chip as the X3500H and the Marantz models up to the flagship SR8012. Only the flagship Denon AVRs have a higher end DAC chip. I highly doubt the better DAC chip would provide audibly better sound quality.

- That means if you are serious about using the Oppo's 7.1 analog outputs, you would need to go with Marantz, such as the SR5013/14 or higher models.

On the subjective side:

- Depending on your speakers, placements, room acoustic conditions, it is quite possible that in terms of accuracy/neutrality, using the 7.1 analog input won't be as good as using HDMI and engage Audyssey XT32 (using the current Marantz models such as the SR7013). Yes you will likely hear a difference using the analog inputs, but whether that means better sound quality to you is a highly subjective matter.

Again, since your room is big, why limit yourself to 5.1.2? So I would go with something like a SR6012/13/14 as minimum, that will allow you the ability to go 7.1.4 without having to replace your AVR again. Or if you can give up the use of the outdated 7.1 analog, the AVR-X3600H is hard to beat for the money.

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
Again, since your room is big, why limit yourself to 5.1.2? So I would go with something like a SR6012/13/14 as minimum, that will allow you the ability to go 7.1.4 without having to replace your AVR again.
Agree with PENG, shoot for 7.1.4 or atleast 5.1.4 . Those atmos channels separated does make a difference..

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I definitely agree with these guys. Get a 6012/13/14 or denon equivalent and go 7.x.4. Also, consider a subwoofer upgrade. Until recently rel never made very good HT subs. The newer HT versions are supposed to be pretty good, but I would go with more of a known quantity/quality, especially considering that it’s a large space(didn’t see sims though). Wouldn’t worry about the analog thing either, but that’s possibly just me.

A

Av8rdh3

Audiophyte
Thanks so much for the advice! Sounds like I need to steer in the direction of the SR6012, I could have two pairs of Atmos speakers and the ability to use the 7 channel input if needed... Amazon has it for $899 probably not warranty supported, but I've never has an issue with reliability. Is there anything it doesn't have that I should be concerned about? is two pairs of atmos much more perfound?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis