Need advice on what I should buy

P

pauldconyers

Audiophyte
Hello, newbie here and I was hoping you could help me with a recommendation here. For my home system I have a 5.1 setup. The sub is a nice 10 inch Klipsch and the 4 speakers and center channel are from a Samsung blu-ray combo I bought a while back. The volume level and sound quality is actually not too bad but music really exposes the system and I am looking to upgrade. I am not wanting to spend a lot of this, maybe $350 TOPS. Because I already have the sub I am kind of looking to buy just the 4 speakers and center channel, however if I found a good deal that came with the 5 speakers and sub I would sell one of the two subs I would then own.

A buddy of mine brought this option to my attention. The price is certainly attractive and Klipsch makes nice speakers. I hate just buying the first option I see, though. Does anyone have a specific model or option they could recommend me to check out and consider? TIA

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch-ht50-home-theater-surround-sound-system-black/6409659.p?skuId=6409659

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hi,

What is your source (receiver)?
What size room?

You're not upgrading by getting 3.5" woofers in dinky cabinets.

And you probably need two subs to get good response in a room so don't be so quick to think to sell one.

If you have an actual reciever and not some proprietary connection home-theater-in-a-box ensemble (god I hope not), then get good passive speakers and get away from the shopping/mindset of home-theater-in-a-box kits. They're not good. They're a bunch of tiny tweeters and tiny woofers and a little bookshelf speaker falsely called a "sub woofer" that has to carry all the upper bass, lower mids and probably a lot of the mid range mids as well, since those dinky tweeters can't do much other than spray treble at you. So if you want an upgarde, get real bookshelf speakers and get larger drivers, look for 5.25" to 6.5" drivers and get the largest cabinet you can accommodate for efficiency.

Very best,

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Klipsch also makes some terrible speakers and I'd bet those Klipsch are more on the terrible side at a guess. Your budget is very low. I'd suggest you start by keeping the sub (which probably is at best mediocre knowing Klipsch subs) and thinking about two better speakers then saving up for center/surrounds. You should think about used speakers, too.

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
As an owner of some actually nice Klipsch speakers, I'm here to tell you that most of the speakers they make in the price range you're at are not nice. I also used to work at Best Buy back in 2000, and was super-excited at the idea of Klipsch being sold there, until they brought them in. Better than Bose, better than Sony, definitely not better than JBL in the same price range.

For $350, replacing your mains is the first order of priority, and yes, as @lovinthehd said, looking on the used market would greatly expand your bang for buck.

P

pauldconyers

Audiophyte
I have an Onkyo-TX-NR757 receiver.

Room is probably like 12x16 or something.TV is on the wall of one of the 12' walls and the main seats are about 12 or so feet away from the TV and the front speakers and sub. 2 rear speakers are 2-3 feet behind me.

As for budget it is what it is, just looking for options.

J

Jerkface

Audioholic

Room is probably like 12x16 or something.TV is on the wall of one of the 12' walls and the main seats are about 12 or so feet away from the TV and the front speakers and sub. 2 rear speakers are 2-3 feet behind me.

Definitely starting with a pretty solid foundation in the receiver.

And I get not having the spare cash to blow on a luxury item. That's why it's better to just improve parts of the system as you're able instead of wasting it buying packages that may or may not be better at all.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Decent receiver so no problem there. Where do you live? We can always help with craigslist....

I'd think about building the BR-1 speaker kit from parts-express.com for someone on a budget. I like mine very much for the price....but my time was free :)

Maybe some internet direct vendors like Ascend (170SE, which I also own) or RSL or SVS (not as familiar with their models/pricing).....

P

pauldconyers

Audiophyte
I live in Kansas City. For just ease alone I was hoping to just buy an already matched and put together system versus hunting down individual speakers if possible.

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
I live in Kansas City. For just ease alone I was hoping to just buy an already matched and put together system versus hunting down individual speakers if possible.
But that's the rub. Replacing all five speakers for that price isn't going to get you a whole lot farther, especially for music, which is your primary complaint. A decent pair of mains for $350 will fix your music problem. Even something like these Polks on the KC craigslist - https://kansascity.craigslist.org/ele/d/olathe-polk-audio-speakers-with-stands/7322117048.html - would be a huge upgrade over what you're dealing with right now.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic

Hi,

That's a perfectly good receiver, so you're well on your way. You can get some passive speakers and be set. Even inexpensive but real passive bookshelves with bigger drivers will matter a lot, especially with bigger cabinets for more efficiency. And they sound good. No, not audiophile stuff, but just plain old sounding good. You can get matches sets no problem. You can squeeze things into your budget give or take a bit.

Look at:

Dayton's:

(Example, get 3 pairs of the 652 Airs, 6 total speakers. Use the same speaker for each channel, including your center, you have a 6th speaker as a spare in case one gets damaged in a drop/fall/tumble or for parts; $150 and they sound great, with big 6.5" drivers and a good tweeter; they're sealed cabinets)

Polk's:

(For $450, you can get a really nice set of entry speakers, well made, attractive, larger cabinets and they sound great for the price. Something to save towards if you wanted a nicer step up overall. You can get 4 of the bookshelves and 1 center and be set)

HTD Level Two & Three and Chane:

(Even nicer and something to consider if you wanted to take it slow and buy into inexpensive but great quality speakers by getting the mains first, then center, then surrounds, slowly over time)

Very best,

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The most important to match are the front 3....and depends if you need a horizontal center for placement under a tv or can just utilize a third identical speaker.....

Surrounds don't matter nearly as much. I do like a fairly matched set myself, but more for multich music than movies/tv.

You're in a decent sized area, hopefully with some patience you can pickup a good base to grow with. Buying a new 5 speaker set for $350 is just not a good start.

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
The most important to match are the front 3....and depends if you need a horizontal center for placement under a tv or can just utilize a third identical speaker.....
And even then, it only needs to match for movies. Pretty much a non-issue for music.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Depending on your area, local classifieds can be an excellent option for finding good speakers on a budget. I agree with the sentiment of replacing your main speakers first, then save up for the matching center. I'd continue to use your current speakers for surrounds. I live in the Phoenix area and our craigslist is always loaded with a ton of speakers. I've found some pretty nice deals on legit good speakers in your price range.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a "good deals" thread for craigslist finds that a few of us keep an eye on. If you find anything interesting but aren't sure post it up there and we'll try to help you find something nice.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Boy, these look pretty nice. Polk LSI9s for $400.

Try and talk them down to 3-350. Those look in great shape too. Also, some Paradigm Monitor 9v6 towers listed for $500.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis