Need advice on purchasing a power amp

K

kinbaumjr

Audiophyte
I have recently purchased a set of Mirage OMD 15, OMD-C1 center and OMD-5 surrounds. I am powering them with a Denon 3806 receiver. Would adding a power amp, the Emotiva Audio XPA-5, make a huge difference in quality of sound. Also would this amp be too much power for this setup?

Speakers are as follows:

OMD-15 - 250W @ 6 ohms
OMD-C1 - 175A @ 6 ohms
OMD-5 - 175 A @ 6 ohms

XPA-5 puts out 200W @ 8 ohms and 300W @ 4 ohms; their is no 6 ohm power listed

I know it is not good to under power speakers and I am confident my Denon 3806 will not. I just want to know if adding the Emotiva Power Amp is recommended and safe.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have recently purchased a set of Mirage OMD 15, OMD-C1 center and OMD-5 surrounds. I am powering them with a Denon 3806 receiver. Would adding a power amp, the Emotiva Audio XPA-5, make a huge difference in quality of sound. Also would this amp be too much power for this setup?

Speakers are as follows:

OMD-15 - 250W @ 6 ohms
OMD-C1 - 175A @ 6 ohms
OMD-5 - 175 A @ 6 ohms

XPA-5 puts out 200W @ 8 ohms and 300W @ 4 ohms; their is no 6 ohm power listed

I know it is not good to under power speakers and I am confident my Denon 3806 will not. I just want to know if adding the Emotiva Power Amp is recommended and safe.
How big is your room, how loud you intend to drive the speakers? Do you do many parties with a lot of people in same space as the speakers?

If your room is mid sized, and you listed with 80 to 90db(a) spl and don't do large parties - the answer - you don't need emotiva amp, as your denon is rated for 6ohm and your mirages are pretty efficient - 91db - you should have no problems driving them as it is with the denon

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
FWIW, I have a 3806 driving a Dynaudio Audience 5.1 system in a 15'x30' combo living/dining room (with 9' cathedral ceilings) with no issues, and it is frequently the main audio system for our social events, including the party spillover to the adjacent patio (2 outdoor speakers driven by the 3806's Zone 2 amps). I used to have an Adcom GFA-5300/5500 amp setup powering the speakers for this room, but a few years ago I got curious as to whether I actually needed the power or was just feeding my audio equipment jones. The result of that test is that I no longer have the amps in that system and have noticed no difference in either usable sound levels (my wife still complains about the level when I get too liberal with the volume control!) or sound quality.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis