need advice on headphones please

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
Hey guys my girlfriend (soon to be fiance) asked what I would like for Christmas. She said she wants to spend around $200. I have no headphones at the moment but would really like some to use with my receiver. I don't know anywhere near as much headphones as I do about regular speakers so I'm open to anything. I should mention that I hate the style that goes in your ear. Just can't stand the feeling of something in there so it would have to be they would have to be comfortable. I don't think I need noise cancelling because I will use them almost exclusively indoors and at night. I really just want something that I can use for movies music and games when my roomate is sleeping. Also, it would be great if the style reccomended is sold at circuit city so I could get an emplyoee discount but its not a must. I can get the Bose triport normally $149 for $109 but I haven't read many good things about them. Not supprised though seeing as how I really dont like bose home setups. Thanks for the help guys

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
bigbassdave said:
Hey guys my girlfriend (soon to be fiance) asked what I would like for Christmas. She said she wants to spend around $200. I have no headphones at the moment but would really like some to use with my receiver. I don't know anywhere near as much headphones as I do about regular speakers so I'm open to anything. I should mention that I hate the style that goes in your ear. Just can't stand the feeling of something in there so it would have to be they would have to be comfortable. I don't think I need noise cancelling because I will use them almost exclusively indoors and at night. I really just want something that I can use for movies music and games when my roomate is sleeping. Also, it would be great if the style reccomended is sold at circuit city so I could get an emplyoee discount but its not a must. I can get the Bose triport normally $149 for $109 but I haven't read many good things about them. Not supprised though seeing as how I really dont like bose home setups. Thanks for the help guys
You won't get a good headphone for the price you state at a mass retail outlet. If you change this prerequisite[purchased from Cicuit City], then you'll have some options.

-Chris

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Hi,

I'd recommend that you try out some different headphones and see what you like. I'm a fan of the Sony MDR-7506. Those are around $100. You should also look into Sennheisers. The HD-580 and HD-595 are both good sounding and superbly comfortable (moreso than the Sony phones), but the Sony headphones do more to block out noise.

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
Well like I said they don't have to be something sold at CC just would be nice to get a deal. Wow those senns look very nice and for $149 looks good to me. Problem is finding them to listen to first. Thanks again any other opinions are appreciated

majorloser

majorloser

Go with the Senn's. You can't go wrong. (Unless somebody in your household runs them over with the vacuum cleaner)

Damn it! I forgot she's a member now.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
majorloser said:
Go with the Senn's. You can't go wrong. (Unless somebody in your household runs them over with the vacuum cleaner)

Damn it! I forgot she's a member now.

LOL!! :D

I am going to second the Sennhessiers.

I have the HD500's and you can get better then taht for 200.

SheepStar

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Sheep said:
LOL!! :D

I am going to second the Sennhessiers.

I have the HD500's and you can get better then taht for 200.

SheepStar
Well, one needs to qualify what they mean by 'better'. :)

If, for example, one wanted the(or one of the) most accurate closed monitoring phone, a MDR-7506 would be in order. If one wanted a relaxed sound with the most physical comfort, a MDR-F1 would be an excellent choice. If a 'lively' sound for electronic/pop music was most desirable, an Audio Technica ATH-900 may be appropriate. So on and so on...

I would hesitate to recommend a specific headphone without being more specific as to what it supposedly does 'better'.

-Chris

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Do you and your roommate share a room? If so, don't buy open headphones. They leak far too much noise at any significant volume and could end up disturbing your roommate too much. If you need a closed 'phone, wmax's recommendation of the Sony MDR-V6 is a good one (I'm using them now!), however, I really dislike them unequalized - they're overly bright in the 5kHz region. If you have an equalizer (software or hardware), they're a wonderful choice. I've heard good things about the Beyerdynamic DT770 (if you're a basshead) and DT250, but haven't heard them myself. I have listened to both the Sennheiser HD280 and the AKG K271. The Sennheiser is a good substitute for the Sony if there is no equalizer available, but the K271s are easily my favorite. They're simply a very nice headphone. They do many things well, my only complaint was thin bass (but still accurate and punchy).

I also own the Beyerdynamic DT880 and love them, but they're open.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I owned the HD580s for a time. They're certainly a very nice headphone and a good value at that price, but I found there to be too much emphasis in the lower mids and bass region. I didn't mess with it too long since I had other headphones I preferred at the time (AKG K501 and AKG K271). I've now settled to the Beyerdynamic DT880 (best headphone I've tried), the Sony MDR-V6 (best value WHEN EQ'd and needed a closed phone), and the Etymotic ER-4P for portables

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
WmAx said:

If, for example, one wanted the(or one of the) most accurate closed monitoring phone, a MDR-7506 would be in order. If one wanted a relaxed sound with the most physical comfort, a MDR-F1 would be an excellent choice. If a 'lively' sound for electronic/pop music was most desirable, an Audio Technica ATH-900 may be appropriate. So on and so on...

I would hesitate to recommend a specific headphone without being more specific as to what it supposedly does 'better'.

-Chris
I find MY Sen's to need no EQ/bass boost with portable devices. I also find them to be non fatiguing.

These meet my requirments for headphones. Some thing the bass is a little to loud, but I don't might extra SPL's because its not boomy SPL's.

There. happy? :rolleyes:

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
WmAx said:

-Chris
I find MY Sen's to need no EQ/bass boost with portable devices. I also find them to be non fatiguing.

These meet my requirments for headphones. Some think the bass is a little to loud, but I don't might extra SPL's because its not boomy SPL's.

There. happy? :rolleyes:

SheepStar

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the advice. I'm am a bass head. I went to highschool in the 90's so I like early 90's rap but lots of classic rock and some slow stuff. So sounds like the senns will be nice. I think I have a good ear for accuarcy but I'm by no means an expert. I do not share a room he is down the hall but he complains of the sub in my room waking him up when I play games or watch movies at night so I figured a nice pair of headphones with great bass and decent mids and highs would be in order.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
If you're a "bass head" or into serious rock,

...then you might try something from the Grado Line. I have both Senn 580s for most listening but also have Grado SR-80's for when the mood hits for more presensce and bass.

...different srtokes for different, er... moods.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
markw said:
...then you might try something from the Grado Line. I have both Senn 580s for most listening but also have Grado SR-80's for when the mood hits for more presensce and bass.

...different srtokes for different, er... moods.
Hey, I have the exact same two headphones use them the same as described above. One other note is that I find the a portable listening device muddy with the Senns so I use the Grados or a pair of small light weight Koss Porta Pros with the portable CD player.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Funny you should mention this...

Nick250 said:
Hey, I have the exact same two headphones use them the same as described above. One other note is that I find the a portable listening device muddy with the Senns so I use the Grados or a pair of small light weight Koss Porta Pros with the portable CD player.
These are what I use on my portable units.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103705&cp=&pg=3&y=8&s=A-StorePrice-RSK&kw=headphones&kwCatId=2032057&x=18&parentPage=search

Great minds think alike :rolleyes:

Yeah, the Senns are quite unforgiving of poor upstream components.

I'm not sure of the protocol, but here's a nice example of this same discussion on another forum. You'll notice the exact same input theraswell.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=14951

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis