Need advice on blu ray and full sound with older av processor

C

chasta

Audiophyte
Hi.

I found your website while researching how to connect older non hdmi processors to blu ray players and I am very happy I did!

I am behind the technology curve but am trying to catch up but cant afford to upgrade everything at once. I have am interested in purchasing a new blu ray player and have read articles on the OPPO83 and the Panasonic BD50.

I could be mistaken with all the tech lingo but as I understood the articles these players offered digital audio outputs which would allow them to connect to an older player that does not have HDMI capabilities. I have a B&K reference 30 and a B&K 7260 amp so you can see I am several revisions behind the latest and greatest.

It seemed these two players are capable of decoding the new Dolby formats and outputting them over the digital outputs to an older processor that was capable of 7.1 surround sound. I was curious if this would still be lossless?

Appreciate your time and advice on player recommendations and best method for proper hook up. I was also thinking about a "moderate" investment in a new integrated or even separate processor but would like to retain the use of my amp if possible since most have 105-140watts of power vs the 200 with the B&K. I read the reviews on the emotiva and pioneer vsx23 that seemed reasonable units.

Thanks again for a wonderful website!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi.

I found your website while researching how to connect older non hdmi processors to blu ray players and I am very happy I did!

I am behind the technology curve but am trying to catch up but cant afford to upgrade everything at once. I have am interested in purchasing a new blu ray player and have read articles on the OPPO83 and the Panasonic BD50.

I could be mistaken with all the tech lingo but as I understood the articles these players offered digital audio outputs which would allow them to connect to an older player that does not have HDMI capabilities. I have a B&K reference 30 and a B&K 7260 amp so you can see I am several revisions behind the latest and greatest.

It seemed these two players are capable of decoding the new Dolby formats and outputting them over the digital outputs to an older processor that was capable of 7.1 surround sound. I was curious if this would still be lossless?

Appreciate your time and advice on player recommendations and best method for proper hook up. I was also thinking about a "moderate" investment in a new integrated or even separate processor but would like to retain the use of my amp if possible since most have 105-140watts of power vs the 200 with the B&K. I read the reviews on the emotiva and pioneer vsx23 that seemed reasonable units.

No it will not be loss less. To get Dolby True HD or DTS HD with digital connection you need a new receiver with those codecs. Your only option is to use multi analog inputs if your receiver has them, and let the Oppo do the digital/analog conversion.

selden

selden

Audioholic
When playing Blu-ray discs, Blu-ray players provide much higher bitrates over their lossy RCA or optical digital connections than are available on DVDs. Many people claim to be unable to hear any difference between the high-bitrate lossy audio and lossless audio.

The Oppo BDP-83SE has significantly higher quality multichannel analog audio connections than the standard version of that player.

Note that the Oppo 80 and 83 players also support SACD and DVD-A, which the Panasonic players do not.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Panasonic BD50 is about 2 years old and is out of production. You would need the BD-80, which has the internal decoding and mutlichannel analog outs like the BDP-83.

If you are insetead going to get a new receiver or pre/pro with HDMI, multichannel analog isn't an issue because you would use HDMI.

S

swingin

Enthusiast
Hi.

Personaly i would buy a PS3 slim, it has a whole lot more options than any regular blu-ray player. I also just bought the pioneer VSX23TXH, and WOW!! It is a fantastic unit! With the upgraded MCACC it dials in the sound just about perfect for 6 seating locations. I upgraded from the pioneer VSX-1017TXV-k, hell I thought that sounded good, BIG difference! I also got it for under $600, U cant go wrong there. Good luck!! Hope this helps..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis