Need a very small, musical sub-woofer for small room

F

funk-o-meter

Audioholic Intern
I need something small. As small as possible. And it has to be musical. I'll be using it for stereo listening at least 70% of the time.

It doesn't really have to go much below 40hz, as I won't be listening to much music that contains information that low. And HT is not my main priority. Don't need to flake the paint of the ceiling. Just fill in under 60hz ;)

Won't be playing that loud, so I'm not worried about it being extremely loud without distorting. Just have to be quick and punchy without being real boomy.

Can't be real expensive.

Room is very small and I'm using a set of bookshelves as mains and tiny satellites as rears (they're right behind my head If I'm siting and listening.)
I'm trying to avoid placing it behind/beside the couch which is 6 feet from the mains (where 100 percent of listening is done) because I think I'd notice the directional difference. So I'm hoping to hide it behind/beside the TV. So its got to be small.

I'm considering just building the box around a 8" or 10" driver and using a good Hafler amp that I've got to power it. But then I'd be relying on my Denon for the bass management (wouldn't have a crossover in the sub). I've not much experience with the low pass filters in receivers, so I'm not sure It would give me enough adjustment detail.

I don't even care if its from the car audio world (bass tubes,ect..) as long as it sounds good and is small.

Anybody got any ideas? Anybody know of an cabinet plans for small subs?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Check out the Rocket subs. They're small, pretty, and sound good. Here's an Audioholics Review of the sub.

Another option would be to go for a Velodyne SPL Series sub. They aren't as inexpensive as the rockets, but as we know, Velodyne makes awesome subs. You might be able to find a good price on Audiogon or Ebay for one.

Edit: OneCall has the 10" Velodyne for $750.

Last edited:
F

funk-o-meter

Audioholic Intern
I like the Rocket. The Velodyne is a bit high for me. I'm trying to stay a good bit below $500. Lots of the subs on the market that are popular are a bit over kill for me. thanks.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....Funk-O-Meter, you said you would consider building a box, and your room is small....although this cabinet is heralded for an automobile, you would probably be surprised in your small room....10 bucks to get the plans, probably 30 bucks of materials, your Hefler amp, and a parametric eq for a century-note for complete control....the box looks dirt-simple....food for thought.....

http://www.decware.com/newsite/dbk10.htm

....outa' here for the day....going to look at some property....

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
You may want to check out the Yamaha subs. Many say they are very "musical". I have the 215 in my den, 10x12 room, connected to my PC with Klipsch ProMedia 2.0's and it cranks and is not boomy. I sometimes think the bass sounds better than my HT with a 12" Mirage sub. You can find them at BB on sale frequently or on the web. I paid $99 for my 215.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/speakers/speakers_subdirect.htm

eddiem67

eddiem67

Audioholic
Sunfire Signature JR, great small sub with lots of oomph, shoot me an email

J

James_Stewart

Enthusiast
Funk I know the perfect sub for your situation. A month ago, when I was shopping around for speakers, I demoed the Aperion Audio S8-APR. It's a passive radiator sub design that eliminates the port, this leads to cleaner undistorted bass. http://aperionaudio.com/products/product-detail.aspx?id=5&catId=6&catName=Aperion+Subwoofers

This is a very sought after musical sub, at one point they had a 1 month waiting list. When I demoed it, I heard aspects of music I've yet to hear with my SVS PB-10. The only reason I didn't buy one was because I got such a good deal on the PB-10. Otherwise everytime I listen to BB King I can't help but feel like I'm missing something. Give these guys a try, they have great service, and will even give you a free 30 day trial. Free shipping both ways. Or if you live in the Portland, OR area you might want to stop by their show room.

~james

Last edited:
Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
I would go with Duffinator's suggestion above and give the Yamaha subs a good audition with music of your choice.

M

mwheelerk

Junior Audioholic
Don't Miss

When considering subs for musical performance do not miss checking out the REL Q series. They feature a unique "combo" connection. Low Level (using a sub cable for LFE for movies) and High Level (using a proprietary connector connected to the speaker outputs for music). Both connections are independently adjustable for level. Phase and crossover adjustments are the same for both level connections. I am very please with the musical performance and I listen to music 90% of the time.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Pinnacle makes some small subs that can pump pretty well. I own the older version of the Digital Sub 600 and I enjoy it. One caveat: the ones with an isobaric design play loud, but not as loud as some other subs because of reverb. Quite musical and pretty deep and definately small.

doughn

doughn

Audiophyte
hey.. if u need a good small sub and very musical . better get the VELODYNE SPL 8in or 10inch

- doughn

9f9c7z

Banned
mwheelerk said:
When considering subs for musical performance do not miss checking out the REL Q series. ...
If you search the various online audio forums you’ll finds posts about the differences in the Rel Q series. Some folks are happy with some Q models, but not others. I got the impression there may be significant difference in sound quality with specific model(s) of the Q series being preferred. I’ve only heard Rels from the B series, so can’t comment on the Q series. Fwiw, I think the Rel B’s are seriously overpriced in the US, and the finish is not up to par with competing product, especially in the price range.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Hey Funk-O,

It may not be as musical as some, but it does shine with blues, country, and rock, and it will outperform anything in its $300 price range. It's as small as you're likely to find for your hiding purposes. Try this --->
http://www.hsustore.com/stf1.html

I love mine!!

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
The 10" Titanic sub kit from parts express is great for music. It's a sealed design and provides quick, tight control. Seems like the perfect sub for your needs.

F

funk-o-meter

Audioholic Intern
Thanks guys, some good advice. I'm gonna do more research about building a cab and buying a driver. And also demo a few of the ones you suggested.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis