Need a good PC soundcard :|

doomsdaydave11

doomsdaydave11

Audiophyte
Hey, whats up. I'm somewhat of an audiophile on a really low budget at the moment. I have a motherboard with onboard Realtek ALC888 audio. Unfortunately, it really sucks. I get a lot of hiss from it and need a sound card. I have Sennheiser HD485 headphones.(which are pretty good for $60. I'll upgrade them later)

Sound Card budget: $40-$65

Thanks!
EDIT:
Oh, forgot to say what I use my computer for.
I use it for gaming, music and light video and audio editing (in that order). My music is usually ripped at MP3-256 VBR (don't have enough space for lossless)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

A place that I use to check out (and buy) computer equipment is newegg.com. You can check out there list of sound cards at this link here. The customer ratings are provided underneath the pictures of the items. The more eggs that are filled in, the better. You can also view the detailed customer reviews for any given item.

To help you choose between certain cards, it would be good to know how you plan on using the card. Is it only for the headphones? Do you want a multi-channel card or just stereo? Do you want digital audio output, coax and/or optical? Will is be PCI, PCI-E, or external?

Adam

EDIT: Ahh, I see your edit. I think that I'd still want to know the answers to the questions above if you want more help, though. Thanks.

doomsdaydave11

doomsdaydave11

Audiophyte
I have been using newegg for a long time. They rock :).
I would like to use the card for some maybe $200 (desktop computer) 5.1 surround speakers (probably 1-2 years down the road), but for now, just headphones. I know it's probably a waste to get a fancy soundcard just for headphones, but I just want that excellent sound quality, and the piece of mind that if I do decide to hook it up to my Axiom E60 Epic sound system downstairs, I'll be able to do that too. Also, I want to get rid of these Realtek drivers. They're driving me crazy.
I will not need more then 5.1 surround. I won't need optical or coax. Digital would be nice.

I've been looking at this card: (put newegg before it... i can't post links) Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829118109 for a while. It's the Turtle Beach Montego. Is it any good? I've googled for reviews, but it's somewhat sketchy. Some say it's great, some say it sucks.
Thanks again.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know anything about that card. Like you said, some people like it...others don't. Looks like you want/need a PCI card. I can say that I used a Creative Audigy 2 ZS card for years and was very happy with it. Great performance.

There are several on eBay, with this one being the best one that I found out of the first few that I looked through.

A

alexwakelin

Full Audioholic
That's odd, I have two computers (one HTPC, one for gaming/school work) that both have realtek onboard audio. I also have the same headphones as you. Both of my computers have crystal clear audio. Have you tried updating your audio drivers?

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I guess I would suggest you look at the Soundblaster line. They have all kinds of sound cards at a variety of price points. Personally I use the product listed below which is really a recording interface. The noise floor is at 105 db so it is very quiet indeed. Way over your budget, however.

doomsdaydave11

doomsdaydave11

Audiophyte
That's odd, I have two computers (one HTPC, one for gaming/school work) that both have realtek onboard audio. I also have the same headphones as you. Both of my computers have crystal clear audio. Have you tried updating your audio drivers?
Yeah I've tried everything. Updated drivers, reinstalled windows (although it wasn't specifically for that).

I have 2 of the same GA-EP35-DS3L motherboards and both of them have the same issue. My older Gigabyte AM2 motherboard with ALC883 audio is crystal clear and theres no hissing.... it's gotta be an issue with the motherboard itself.

A

alexwakelin

Full Audioholic
Yeah I've tried everything. Updated drivers, reinstalled windows (although it wasn't specifically for that).

I have 2 of the same GA-EP35-DS3L motherboards and both of them have the same issue. My older Gigabyte AM2 motherboard with ALC883 audio is crystal clear and theres no hissing.... it's gotta be an issue with the motherboard itself.
Sounds like it is an issue with the mb, I run ASUS motherboards and have never had a problem with them. I second the soundblaster reccomendation, even their $30 budget cards get good reviews. Buy from newegg and if you have problems with it they have no hassle returns.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
FYI, you can get a refurb Audigy card direct from Creative for $20 at this link here.
I'm not sure what to do with it or even if I can use it but I got one coming. They got me with the 'limited quantities' and 'free shipping-today only'.

I guess maybe I should start by reading this thread. :rolleyes:

Edit: Does this mean it won't work with XP?

Works with the Following Standards Windows® 98, 98SE, NT® 4.0, 2000, and Me
Sound Blaster MIDI and General MIDI
Plug and Play
Sound Blaster PCI
EAX ADVANCED HD
EAX
Microsoft® DirectSound®, DirectSound3D™, and derivatives
PCI 2.1 compliant
AC '97 compliant
Dolby® Digital
ASIO™

Double Edit: I think I'm good.

Windows® 98, 98SE, NT 4.0, 2000, or Me (when available, Windows XP and other future driver releases will be available in the support area.)

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hey, Alex. I'll have to check, but I just might have some navel lint. I'd be willing to send out a sample for $20. Keep in mind, there are limited quantities and shipping is free - today only.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis