Need 4K HDMI Switcher that Stores Projector's EDID

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
Those of us who use our projectors with computers are probably aware of the 'reshuffling desktop' problem when switching a projector on or off.

My research online about this issue points to Windows O/S and how it managed when an EDID (the unique identifier for a display device) appears or vanishes from the buss.

I have two Windows 7 video editing workstations connected to a Monoprice 4 in 1 out HDMI 4K switcher. When I switch the projector to the other computer, both computers lose their desktop to monitor assignments and my Wacom tablets' drawing area changes to a different display, causing me to lose the mouse cursor. It's far worse if there are any open applications, as their windows get moved and resized. It's a mess and one of the reasons why I leave my LCD monitors on 24/7. Can't leave the projector on 24/7 due to the lamp life and power consumption though.

A way to solve this would be to 'fake' the EDID being ever-present. My Monoprice HDMI 4K switcher doesn't store or 'fake' EDIDs, but maybe there is a higher end product that does.

In any event, perhaps someone has experience with this problem and has found a switcher that can solve it. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
This would do it:
https://www.extron.com/product/product.aspx?id=swhd4kplus&s=4

From the specifications:
"Both models feature EDID Minder®, which maintains continuous EDID communication with connected devices and ensures that the HDMI sources power up properly and maintain correct video output."

So, yeah... Exactly it. At about $500 it isn't the least expensive switcher, but they are clear about full 18Gb/s support.

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
Wow! I've been looking all over, even at Crestron stuff, but this looks like it will do the job. I'll e-mail them and put the question to them specifically and see if they can confirm that this will solve the problem. Thanks for finding this!

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
They won't sell it to me direct. Only through an integrator with installation.. Unit is $590!

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
Yep, saw that, but then realized it's only 10.2gb/s which won't support 4K 60P.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You can message me about this. I work for a place and can put you in touch with someone that can get it to you for a bit less. I'm not sure of what our selling price will be. You can also contact a local dealer to see how much it would be for a standard box sale.

But, I know we ship and I know we take credit cards. (I'm not on the sales side of the house for this)

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
Extron called me this morning and put me in touch with two dealers. One is charging an outrageous $46 shipping fee (is it really that heavy?) and the other a lower price and $20 shipping. So I'll go with the latter. HB quoted me $368 for the unit. Not bad.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Extron just shows MSRP on their units. Commercial companies never get away with that level of markup on their products and a box sale is an easy way to make a few bucks, so they may have pulled $50 or so on it and they likely are passing shipping costs on to you pretty much as they get them.

I would expect that you should be pretty happy with this product. If there is some tool you need to set the unit up, that you don't have access to, please let me know.

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
Good news: I sent HB my payment info this morning and they are about to process it.

If there is any need to program the unit, some software tool is needed and Extron said they'll allow me to download it. But using it may be tricky, though I've configured loads of studio equipment for broadcast stations over the past 20 years, so I don't think setting custom resolution would be a problem. Just need to have the EDID report 4096x2160/60 to the PCs. Oddly, Windows detects the Sony as 1080P, so any time it turns on, it sets the resolution to 1080P and I have to go and configure nVidia control panel to 4K resolution. You would think Sony would report native resolution as 4K not 1080, but go figure!

Thanks for your offer to provide tools and assistance!

As an aside, I just got the Oppo UDP-203 in yesterday and got it set up. Looks like they took a lot of my suggestions about the BDP-93 and implemented them.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Oppo is a very responsive company which had taken customer complaints and recommendations quite seriously over the years. Vizio is another company which has responded.
By example, Vizio added discrete on/off and input commands to their displays for use with universal remotes. Philips, the inventor of the Pronto universal remote, still has TVs that do NOT have discrete on/off or input selection. Go figure.
Oppo has received many recommendations over the years and always has worked to get them in place.

Let me know if you need anything related to the Extron piece.

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
The Extron switcher is ordered and paid for. Should be here mid week next week.

I was able to set up my 203 to switch to the old 981HD on its HDMI input.

Got my DLNA server in a Linksys WRT 3200ACM router working so now I can stream UHD and HD video clips from attached storage device on the router. This is great, because I can stream customer final edits without burning a BD-R for a screening session.

Also got a Monoprice Diplayport to HDMI 4K adapter to replace the 1080 adapter. Now my secondary workstation can do 4K 30P (limitation of the nVidia GTX680).

I've got two Monoprice 4K 60 certified switchers that will now have nothing to do, due to the EDID problem and finding that I can switch to the old Oppo player via the 203's switch capabilities.

Now if I can get a new lamp for this thing and a much brighter picture, I'll be happier than a pig in the proverbial excrement!

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
I got the Extron switcher installed, but we're hashing things out with an application engineer now.

Apparently the switcher holds the EDID when the projector turns on/off, but switching inputs on the Extron causes the PCs to go blank and desktops to reshuffle, often to non-existent displays!

The other major problem is that none of their EDID presets work optimally with the projector. The best I can get is 4K 24P. Using their 4K 60p 4:2:0 option results in "frequency out of range" message on projector.

If I use the Monoprice switcher, I get full 4K 60P to the projector from that same PC.

Last week, I got a Black Magic Design Intensity Pro 4K capture card for a PC that I'm planning to use as a streaming server. I noticed that the attached monitor, one that has to be left on 24/7 because turning it off upsets the desktop assignments, when connected to the Intensity card's output, doesn't affect the nVidia card's display when switched on/off. Hmmm.. A possible solution might be to purchase another Intensity Pro 4K card for the editing workstation and connect the projector to that. It has the added advantage that I can use Black Magic Design's editing software output to full screen on their hardware.

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
One of the baffling mysteries of the Sony VPL VW765ES is that it's EDID presents it as a HD projector, not a 4K projector. This makes it difficult to use a splitter or a switcher that stores EDIDs because it will configure its outputs to 1080P based upon what the projector is telling it.
Why does Sony present an EDID for a HD device on their 4K device??

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis