Nee subwoofer advice....1 or 2, that is the question.

N

NFguy

Enthusiast
My tv room is a large room (18 x 18 x20 feet high). I am currently running a 50" panasonic plasma, yamaha rx-v2600 with monitor audio silver's as fronts and center, and monitor radius 180's as my 4 rears. I have never been happy with my sub and am getting close to punting it over the back fence.

I'm going to be purchasing a velodyne next and was wondering if I should go for one large sub (velodyne dls-5000r 15 inch) or two smaller subs (dls-3750r 10 inchers). The room is very minimalistic in furniture and in design in general with a hardwood floor.

All suggestions appreciated.....

Thanks all! JR

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Get 2 12" subs. You can place them asymetrically and reduce or cancel out some of the room nodes. The larger cones work better in larger rooms.:cool:

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I would prefer the dual 12"ers like joe suggested or simply the 5000R

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Buy neither of those subs. Theres better for the money. A couple Cylinders from SVS would fill that nicely.

SheepStar

G

ggunnell

Audioholic
In that much volume, two of the dls-5000's would be more what you would want.

I also would go with SVS (svsound.com). Frankly I don't see you getting out of this much under $2k -- that would be two SVS PB-NSD /2's, about $1800 +shipping, and would give you 4 12" drivers with 1200 watts of ampage.

Going with cylinders as sheep suggested limits you to 2 12" drivers in the room unless you go to 3 or 4 cylinders. That's really not enough in that volume IMO, even if you use the strongest cylinder, the Ultra -- and two of them are around $2300 + shipping.

Less expensive, two 20-39 Plus cylinders will give you most of the output of the Ultra for about $1650 +shipping for the pair -- 2 12" drivers and 1050 watts.

It's all about room volume -- if you had an 8' ceiling in that 18' x 18' space, two 20-39 Plus cylinders would be great -- even two PB12-NSDs for about $1200 + shipping would work then.

B

BMO

Junior Audioholic
Love those Monitor Audios.
There are other subs to consider also for most bang/boom for the buck.
AV123 sells some great subs that pass the WAF test. Very small sized when compared to SVS or HSU and the wood cabinets are beatiful. There 12 sub is bascialy a 21" cube.
HSU also makes some great subs, they have new 3HO and a new Mid Bass sub.
Axiom is another with rave reviews. All 4 companies have excelent company support and will match subs to your room size.
I have dealt with HSU and Rocket ( AV123) and was surpriised at how far they will ge to please there customers. I understand SVS and Axiom are as responive.
All have 30 day money back gauruntee. ( it cost to ship back though). The best place to start is to call any of the 4, or all 4. They will match the sub/subs to your needs.
I don't think there are any better performers out there in regards to price/performance.

G

ggunnell

Audioholic
BMO, I'm all for equal time, and a competitive marketplace -- sorry if my last post seemed a little 'SVS centric' ---

But in 6500 cubic feet, neither AV123 or Hsu has currently available product IMO.

Come January, hopefully, the Hsu VTF-3 HO will be out of preorder fulfillment.

A pair of Seaton modded UFW12's might work -- again, not yet available

MFW-15, BMF --- not yet available

Axiom -- I'l refer you to Ilkka's test:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests/973-axiom-ep-600-a.html
Compare it with some of the others.

And Axiom does not include continuously variable phase controls on their subs.
If you are only using one sub, or co-located subs, you can use a continuously variable global phase control (if you have one in your prepro, SMS-1, etc) to blend with your mains, but if you are going to place the subs in separate locations you need a continuosly adjustable phase control on each sub.

BTW, SVS has a 45 day money back guarantee.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
NFguy said:
My tv room is a large room (18 x 18 x20 feet high). I am currently running a 50" panasonic plasma, yamaha rx-v2600 with monitor audio silver's as fronts and center, and monitor radius 180's as my 4 rears. I have never been happy with my sub and am getting close to punting it over the back fence.
I'm going to be purchasing a velodyne next and was wondering if I should go for one large sub (velodyne dls-5000r 15 inch) or two smaller subs (dls-3750r 10 inchers). The room is very minimalistic in furniture and in design in general with a hardwood floor.
All suggestions appreciated.....
Thanks all! JR

As has been suggested, recent research supports the use of multiple subs, not in one location, for best results.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Ggunnell,

The 25-31 would be the loudest of the cylinder lines due to the higher tuning.

He could get away with 2-25-31PCi's and fill the room nicely.

SheepStar

B

BMO

Junior Audioholic
ggunnell said:
BMO, I'm all for equal time, and a competitive marketplace -- sorry if my last post seemed a little 'SVS centric' ---

But in 6500 cubic feet, neither AV123 or Hsu has currently available product IMO.

Come January, hopefully, the Hsu VTF-3 HO will be out of preorder fulfillment.

A pair of Seaton modded UFW12's might work -- again, not yet available

MFW-15, BMF --- not yet available

Axiom -- I'l refer you to Ilkka's test:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests/973-axiom-ep-600-a.html
Compare it with some of the others.

And Axiom does not include continuously variable phase controls on their subs.
If you are only using one sub, or co-located subs, you can use a continuously variable global phase control (if you have one in your prepro, SMS-1, etc) to blend with your mains, but if you are going to place the subs in separate locations you need a continuosly adjustable phase control on each sub.

BTW, SVS has a 45 day money back guarantee.

Having never heard the Axiom subs all I can go by is the reviews of others.
SVS makes a very fine sub, so do the other 3.
Where is Ilkka or Craig for that matter?
Still a good start would be to call all 4, ask questions and read there forums.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
NFGuy, I've heard the Velos...poor performers in my estimation. HSU or other subs being suggested to you in this thread are superior IMHO.

I have a room and a speaker setup similar to yours in size (volume) and sound (speaker performance, receiver). I run two 12" HSU subs and couldn't be happier. One VTF-3 was delightful. Two (placed in opposite corners) nicely smoothed the in-room frequency response and provided the headroom for a more delightful theatrical experience.

Like a woman, a good sub makes for a happy home (only louder). LOL. :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Sheep said:
Ggunnell,

The 25-31 would be the loudest of the cylinder lines due to the higher tuning.

He could get away with 2-25-31PCi's and fill the room nicely.

SheepStar

But, if he wants to impress me, if and when he invites us over, I think 4 would do the trick nicely:D I want to feel that Trex first footstep and the mother-ship flyover rattling the windows and roof:D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
mtrycrafts said:
But, if he wants to impress me, if and when he invites us over, I think 4 would do the trick nicely:D I want to feel that Trex first footstep and the mother-ship flyover rattling the windows and roof:D
I though you used a boom box? Those don't play DVDs! :D

Seriously, you need to spill the beans, otherwise, I will start the quest in finding out just what exactly you use.

SheepStar

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Sheep said:
I though you used a boom box? Those don't play DVDs! :D

Seriously, you need to spill the beans, otherwise, I will start the quest in finding out just what exactly you use.

SheepStar

I do use two! boomboxes:D
There is a CD with such T-rex demo from Telarc:D
And, he would need 4 subs to impress me, no matter what:D I don't get impress easily.

If you were closer, which is another secret, closer to where :), then I would show you my boomboxes.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis