NAS with HDMI ports

R

REUBEN GABRIEL

Enthusiast
Hi,

I have seen quite a few NAS products (mainly Qnap and Asustor) offering HDMI connections on the NAS box be it 1.4 or 2.0 ports.

Just curious if the NAS box can connect directly to an AV receiver through hdmi and if there will be any compatibility issues?

The manufacturers mainly state it can be connected to TV's but nothing regarding av receivers.

many thanks,

RG

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
This is fine, if your NAS box as hdmi port, you'd have no issues using a receiver with it.
However, I'd recommend against it. Your best bet would keep your NAS out of sight (and ears) and use small and inexpensive (and much more versatile) media client like Roku, FireTV, Chromecast or my fav (and most powerful by much) suggestion - Nvidia ShieldTV. Since the later is likely more powerful than most NAS boxes processors, I'd use it to run both Plex Server and Client and use nas for storage and other things.

R

REUBEN GABRIEL

Enthusiast
thank you for the feedback.

Currently am just playing mkv movie files via an external drive connected via usb to my oppo Bluray. Space is running out very fast on my 2TB external drive.

The initial plan was to purchase a 4 bay nas and place it in my home office. The house is fully smart wired so we have LAN ports in nearly all rooms including home cinema. No issue with network set up. Would then try to play my the large mkv movie files via my oppo 103D hooked to anthem 720 receiver.
Not sure if and how plex will work on the oppo.

However I only started thinking about placing the nas in the home cinema and hooking it up directly to my av receiver as I was a bit concerned if there would be loss in playback quality (video & audio) by using the network as oppose to direct hdmi connection.

Have not considered a separate media player

advice and thoughts appreciated,

many thanks,

RG

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi,

I have seen quite a few NAS products (mainly Qnap and Asustor) offering HDMI connections on the NAS box be it 1.4 or 2.0 ports.

Just curious if the NAS box can connect directly to an AV receiver through hdmi and if there will be any compatibility issues?

The manufacturers mainly state it can be connected to TV's but nothing regarding av receivers.

many thanks,

RG
The acronym 'NAS' should tell you what you need to know- that doesn't mean it has a video card, it's just a network piece. Network distribution is getting to 4K but for most uses, 1080p or 2K are fine (not usually residential). You could always build a media PC in a small enclosure but again, you will need a good video card if you want to use HDMI.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Original Bluray 1080p data stream requires only 54 Mbits network capacity. Most low-midrange SMB NAS boxes could provide 10 times that speed. So network performance with only 1gig networking is not an issue for video streaming.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
NAS that can run PMS (Plex Media Server)+Shield TV (best option, but there are other devices that do OK)=Awesome

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis