N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Anyone have experience with them? It seems like they were a well respected company in the past. How were their past products and their current products? I've never used them personally and have not seen much from them, but see their name come up in searches for used equip.

Thanks

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
20 years ago, Nak was some of the best equipment on the market.

The cassette decks were wonderful. Rock solid, clean, dependable. Hiss was seamed less than the source material. My 20 year old Nak cassette deck is still cranking and has never needed repairs. A friends Nak Dragon (circa 1980) died in the late 90's.

Amps and preamps were either OEM for Nak, or purchased designs (the amp was based upon Threshold's designs). Clean, strong, absolutely beautiful. Their first preamp was the first preamp that I can remember hearing absolutely no background hiss.

Car audio (head units) were as well built as the home gear. I sold the car with a Nak head unit when the car died. The Nak head unit was 6 years old. The head unit outlasted the car.

Today's stuff seems like entry level Bang & Olufsen HTiB, not that a $2 to $5k HTiB should ever be considered entry level.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the response.

Anything specific to mention about their CD players? That's specifically what I'm looking at.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
The old CD players were a combination of inhouse designs and a little help from Sony. I never had a chance to really play with a Nak CD player, but the weight/feel of the units, and Nak's reputation at the time, left no doubt that they had some serious equipment.

Personally, I would not buy anybody's used CD transport. Remember the primary reason for equipment failure.... heat, movement, mositure, dust.

CD transports are not the most reliable pieces of equipment.

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
The sell some of the best Hu's for car's around. The Cd-700II is considered the best HU ever built, but also, the most expensive with a $2000 price tag.

Paul

toquemon

toquemon

Full Audioholic
Had a flagship Nakamichi AV-10 that cost me almost $2,000 like 4 years ago. The thing died 3 months later, got repaired but died again after another 3 months. Also had a fan that wasn't very quiet. At first it sounded very powerfull and clean, but it had mayor reliability problems.

I think the best of the best in Nakamichi equipment is "Nakamichi Gold" series.

My father had a Nakamichi deck that sounded awsome like 20 years ago. This thing never needed repair.

L

Lincoln

Audioholic
Like the others mentioned, Nak made some of the best Cassette decks and car audio HUs money could buy. If you are not buying an older one of these two types of products then it is your best bet to stay away from Nak. I think most of their current stuff is lifestyle garbage (meaning sound is less important then looks) and reliablility is very questionable on the newer stuff. It's one step above BOSE and a big step below B&O (I don't like B&O either).

J

jordanny

Enthusiast
I agree with the concensus. Nak made the BEST cassette decks and car audio HUs in the business, but their quality has slipped. I still own an RX-505 auto reverse cassette deck ( for those who may remember, it was the one that physically flipped the tape when changing sides, so as not to change head alignment...). It was their second best ever, next to the Dragon. 18 years old and it still works perfectly without any service ever. Also had a deck in my SL, circa 1989 and it worked beautifully for years. But, I bought a fourth- or fifth-generation cd ( can't think of the model # ) in the early 90's and returned it within 30 days. I know a couple of other people who have had trouble with NAKs, too. For less, buy a Denon...

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Long Live Nak's

I've got 2, an LX-3 and a ZX-7. Have owned all kinds of cassette decks over the years and the old Nak's simply walk all over them. Tapes made on a Nak do not sound the same (as good) on other decks. :cool:

N

NoBose

Enthusiast
i have a Nak mh800ip-bt system. micro hiFi. decent product. the real power comes out when stream music through bluetooth.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
i have a Nak mh800ip-bt system. micro hiFi. decent product. the real power comes out when stream music through bluetooth.
While I do like your username, I can't help but point to fact you're replied in 12 years old thread.
I guarantee you that there is zero chance of OP is still around. As for modern Nak products, they are all junk and have no connection what so ever to legendary tape decks made in 70-80s

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
The "old" Nakamichi company folded in the mid-1990's. Anything since then is just another venture capital firm playing of the old reputation. Anything before then ... including their separates, the Stasis amplifiers, etc is all excellent gear, if you see it used buy it.

N

NoBose

Enthusiast
While I do like your username, I can't help but point to fact you're replied in 12 years old thread.
I guarantee you that there is zero chance of OP is still around. As for modern Nak products, they are all junk and have no connection what so ever to legendary tape decks made in 70-80s
yeah, you're right.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis