Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 Soundbar Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Has audio company Nakamichi gone too far with their new 9.2 soundbar, the Shockwafe Ultra? Check out this preview of the new and exciting 9.2 soundbar system that eliminates speaker wires and minimizes power cords. Dual subs, 4 modular surrounds, and an 8 speaker soundbar (total of 18 speakers) for around $1000?

This might be the surround system you've been waiting for. Read on to find out.

Read: Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 Soundbar Preview

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You do know that original Nak is long long gone and it's new Asian owners had failed to create anything other than utter trash

A

Alain Singapore

Audioholic Intern
Well, not all their newer stuff is trash. I purchased a combo AV1 and AVP1 over a year ago and I am very happy I did. For sure, the Nakamichi of yore is gone. In fact, the preamp is a rebranded product that was also sold under the Nuforce brand and the amp is very similar to what used to be available from Emotiva. Both products have been apparently designed and buid by a Chinese company called ToneWinner. It all depends where they source their products from.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, not all their newer stuff is trash. I purchased a combo AV1 and AVP1 over a year ago and I am very happy I did. For sure, the Nakamichi of yore is gone. In fact, the preamp is a rebranded product that was also sold under the Nuforce brand and the amp is very similar to what used to be available from Emotiva. Both products have been apparently designed and buid by a Chinese company called ToneWinner. It all depends where they source their products from.
I agree - some Chinese stuff is actually not terrible, but as you said - Nak's role in that was pure re-badging.

Ah, Yes, Nuforce - another shining beacon of honest and accurate enginnering:
https://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/nuforce-udac-2-drama.html

S

Sal1950

Audioholic Intern
Not a fan of the soundbar approach period. If all you want is some upgraded sound quality over your TV's built in speakers, fine. But as a replacement for even a good conventional 5.1 rig they leave a lot to be desired in the way of a accurate reproduction of what the producer had in mind in the way of a soundfield. The more they try to do, the more degraded the sound becomes with phasey distortions in trying to create some illustional acoustic magic.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Not a fan of the soundbar approach period. If all you want is some upgraded sound quality over your TV's built in speakers, fine. But as a replacement for even a good conventional 5.1 rig they leave a lot to be desired in the way of a accurate reproduction of what the producer had in mind in the way of a soundfield. The more they try to do, the more degraded the sound becomes with phasey distortions in trying to create some illustional acoustic magic.
I agree sal. It’s kinda like putting a “sport” sticker on a minivan. Still a minivan.....

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I agree sal. It’s kinda like putting a “sport” sticker on a minivan. Still a minivan.....
I saw a minivan the other day that was lowered and had a body kit. All I could think was "But it's still a mini-van."

N

Nathometheater

Audiophyte
I’m very interested in The Nakamichi Shockwafe Elite 9.2 system! Although im still confused on how the rear surround speakers connect to the system? Are they truly wireless speakers (needing a plug outlet for power), or do they have to be wired to the wireless subwoofers? If the later is the case, then it won’t work with my room. But if the surrounds only need to plug into an outlet for power, and connect without any speaker cables, this just might be the perfect system for me! Actually I saw this exact same system labeled the Shockwafe Elite 7.2 system on Best Buy’s website. But it doesn’t say how the rear surrounds connect to the system? Any answers would be very helpful! Thanks Audioholics!

J

Justmy002

Enthusiast
I’m very interested in The Nakamichi Shockwafe Elite 9.2 system! Although im still confused on how the rear surround speakers connect to the system? Are they truly wireless speakers (needing a plug outlet for power), or do they have to be wired to the wireless subwoofers? If the later is the case, then it won’t work with my room. But if the surrounds only need to plug into an outlet for power, and connect without any speaker cables, this just might be the perfect system for me! Actually I saw this exact same system labeled the Shockwafe Elite 7.2 system on Best Buy’s website. But it doesn’t say how the rear surrounds connect to the system? Any answers would be very helpful! Thanks Audioholics!
I do own the 9.2 system and absolutely love it. The rear and side surround speakers are connected by RCA cables to the 2 subwoofers (2 speakers connected to each subwoofer). The subwoofers are powered (need to be connected to power socket), but the audio signals are transmitted wirelessly from the main soundbar unit to them. Do consider it!

G

Glock134

Audiophyte
How did you calibrate the speakers there’s no test tones for the speakers? I’m aware how to use a SPL meter just not sure what I can do to calibrate when there is no channel test option on my Nakamichi 9.2. Any help would be appreciated

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
How did you calibrate the speakers there’s no test tones for the speakers? I’m aware how to use a SPL meter just not sure what I can do to calibrate when there is no channel test option on my Nakamichi 9.2. Any help would be appreciated
Why cant you just run tones for each channel? You don't need the speaker system to have its own test tone generator.

G

Glock134

Audiophyte
Probably a stupid question but how do u run tones thru each channel? My previous systems had test buttons that send a tone thru each channel. But this system doesn’t have that option. I have no clue how to send a signal thru just one channel

G

Glock134

Audiophyte
Even if I disconnected other speakers while I tried to test a speaker at a time I’d have no way of bypassing the soundbar itselfs internal speakers to test the tears or side speakers

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Maybe a calibration disc with test tones? I think that Disney WOW disc has discrete tones for each channel. Here is some test tones you can burn into a disc and run the tones for a 7 channel system.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis