S

Seamus

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I've posted this at another site as well, so apologies if it is a repetition for anyone.
The longer I continue my research into the HT set-up I want to build, the more exciting it gets; but the level of confusion also rises ! I've pretty much decided on the NAD T763 - the speakers are the difficult choice. (I know a lot of people recommend getting the speakers first, but...)
I thought the local PSB distributor didn't carry the Image line here, but now have been informed otherwise (apparently, there are some cosmetic changes in the offing, and they'll start ordering post that). In the meantime, I auditioned the B&amp;W DM 300 series, though with a Rotel since the retailer doesn't stock NAD. Needless to say, they sounded excellent.
Here's my question : which does NAD pair better with - a PSB Image combination (4T fronts, 8C, 2B surrounds, SubSonic 6) or the B&amp;W DM 300 series (DM 309 fronts, 303 surrounds, ASW 300, LCR 3) ? My listening habit is 70% music.
Appreciate all advice.</font>

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>What ever sounds good to you. &nbsp; Both speakers will do fine with the NAD. &nbsp;It really comes down to which you prefer. &nbsp;There is no right or wrong answer. &nbsp;Try them both out if you can. &nbsp;Both PSB and B&amp;W are good speakers. &nbsp;They will have different charateristics and that's where your ears come in.

One word of advise. &nbsp;Regardless of which speakers you choose, you might want to look at other Subs. &nbsp;With subs, there is no reason to match the rest of the speakers with the same brand. &nbsp;May look at HSU, Adire, Paradigm to name a few.
Just my .02 cents.

Shinerman</font>

A. Vivaldi

A. Vivaldi

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>There both good speakers, but I'd recommend the PSBs if your going to go with NAD. I have the image series with a NAD integrated and they sound very good. NAD and PSB are both distributed by the same company and seem to have a natural synergy for each other, if you believe in that sort of thing. Rotel and B&amp;W are also distributed by the same company and are known to work well together. In the end though you have to trust your ears.</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>Or, you could save yourself some bucks &amp; give MB Quart a 30 day in home test. They sell them here:</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>I was about to suggest you avoid pairing NAD with PSB- in my experience the combo is not very good. &nbsp;The PSBs are voiced a bit too &quot;darkly&quot; for my taste and NAD tends to be a bit rolled off; not a good combo together. &nbsp;But of course personal preference will play a big role here.

If you're married to the NAD I'd suggest going with the B&amp;W; they mate very well. &nbsp;But you're the one who has to live with them, so try to listen to them together or at least be sure to buy from somewhere with a liberal return policy.</font>

E

EdR

Audioholic
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Seamus : <font color='#000000'>I've posted this at another site as well, so apologies if it is a repetition for anyone.
The longer I continue my research into the HT set-up I want to build, the more exciting it gets; but the level of confusion also rises ! I've pretty much decided on the NAD T763 -</font>
<font color='#000000'>Hi,

I might have replied to you on the other site- I compared the NAD T773 with the Arcam AVR-200, which is about the same price as the T763 you're considering. &nbsp;You might want to try this comparison before you put your cash down- I found a considerable difference with all other factors the same- that is, the store just switched the CD and Speaker inputs from Receiver to receiver- no switching matrix involved, so it was a very honest comparision. &nbsp;

Axiom speakers seem to offer considerable bang for the buck.</font>

A. Vivaldi

A. Vivaldi

Audioholic
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Rob Babcock : <font color='#000000'>I was about to suggest you avoid pairing NAD with PSB- in my experience the combo is not very good.  The PSBs are voiced a bit too &quot;darkly&quot; for my taste and NAD tends to be a bit rolled off; not a good combo together.  But of course personal preference will play a big role here.

If you're married to the NAD I'd suggest going with the B&amp;W; they mate very well.  But you're the one who has to live with them, so try to listen to them together or at least be sure to buy from somewhere with a liberal return policy.</font>
<font color='#000000'>I'd describe the PSBs as smooth sounding rather then dark, but they could be a bit more sensitive, and I'd agree that NAD is a bit rolled off on the high end, but the combo is really easy going on the ears, especially for loud movies and classical music. A bright, clear, airy system sounds great at first, but really drags on the ears after extended listening, especially if you have sensitive ears or tinitus problems. Of course like you said it's a matter of preference. One can do better than NAD or PSB but they'd have to spend a bit more. Rotel and B&amp;W would be a step up.</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>They do have an easy-going quality. &nbsp;The room of course will also have its say on the sound. &nbsp;I wonder how NAD would work with B&amp;W? &nbsp;That polite top end of the NAD might cool off the overly-hot top end of (some of the) B&amp;Ws.</font>

U

Unregistered

NAD with Monitor Audio S8

In line with the discussion on NAD, I am stuck with Monitor Ausio S8s and I was wondering what receiver would be best paired with it. I have heard Marantz or NAD are both good, but have not been able to get to auition them together. Any thoughts please?

annunaki

annunaki

Either pairing would be fine, NAD w/B&W or NAD w/PSB. Both the PSB and B&W are very neutral speakers, which is what I would assume Rob means by "dark". The B&W are a little brighter on the top end than the PSB but would do very well with the laid-back nature of the NAD. The B&W would do well in an overly or highly damped room, where as the PSB would do better in a highly active room (one with many reflective surfaces).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis