Legacy Audio Powerbloc2 Dual Mono Class D Amplifier Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Just a few short years ago, we would have scoffed at the idea that Class D-based amplifiers were audiophile-certified. That's all changed with the latest generation of ICEpower modules and Legacy Audio is putting both the audiophile and home theater world on notice with their new Powerbloc2 Dual Mono Amplifier. Don't let this amp's slim form-factor fool you. It's a 325w into 8 ohm, 650w into 4 ohm, and ultra-wide bandwidth powerhouse.

It sports a true, dual-mono architecture to eliminate channel crosstalk and comes in at such a low price point that it made our jaws drop.

Read: Legacy Audio Powerbloc2 Dual Mono Class D Amplifier Preview

Are you ready to jump into a Class D amplifier to replace your old linear? Give us your thoughts in the thread below.

C

ChicagoLR3

Audioholic
It looks like a nice amplifier, but I do wonder where the value is added for $1,600. Since they're using off the shelf ICEpower modules, what are they adding? I admittedly do not know what these modules cost.

I saw they can be used with Legacy's DSP system, but I take that to mean its not built in. In which case, the DSP could be used with any amp.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It looks like a nice amplifier, but I do wonder where the value is added for $1,600. Since they're using off the shelf ICEpower modules, what are they adding? I admittedly do not know what these modules cost.

I saw they can be used with Legacy's DSP system, but I take that to mean its not built in. In which case, the DSP could be used with any amp.
If I need an amp with similar specs, I'd personally go with Crown XLS 2002.

S

SpeakerPower

Audiophyte
Since only 1 channel for each amp module is required, perhaps the ICEpower model used is the 700ASC (single channel) rather than the 700ASC2 (2 channel now named the 700AS2). Also the 700AS2 is not released yet except for a few early prototypes in the hands of beta testers. 700ASC is a good amp. I use it in some models myself.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Since only 1 channel for each amp module is required, perhaps the ICEpower model used is the 700ASC (single channel) rather than the 700ASC2 (2 channel now named the 700AS2). Also the 700AS2 is not released yet except for a few early prototypes in the hands of beta testers. 700ASC is a good amp. I use it in some models myself.
Hello Brian and welcome to AH forums. Your products have well earned high reputation about these forums. Your expertise and contributions are very welcome

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis