Denon AVR-X7200WA Atmos/DTS:X AV Receiver Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Denon's flagship AVR-X7200WA Atmos/DTS:X AV Receiver wants to rock the AV world. It supports every immersive audio format known to man; has network streaming connectivity options galore; sports all the latest HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 UHD standards; and will do just about everything except make your coffee.

We put this flagship to test by connecting a full complement of 11 speakers for Dolby Atmos and Auro 3D. Check out our full review to see if this Denon flagship claims a place among the the receiver elite or if it can't make it to the top of the mountain.

Read: Denon AVR-X7200WA Atmos/DTS:X AV Receiver Review

Do you own this unit? Share your experiences here!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Without bench tests, what is your subjective impression of its power output compare to other 4000 series Denon AVRs you tested before?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
@PENG great question! We talked about the Denon's power during the review period quite a bit. Check out Gene's in-depth analysis of the Denon 5200 test results. The 7200 has a bigger power supply and is thus more capable.
Here's the direct link:
http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/denon-avr-x5200w/measurements
So you are saying, based on the results for the 5200w, let's just have faith and do our projection accordingly. Considering all the circumstantial evidence, including those highly visible fans, I can do that..:D I still want to see the test data though, being a stubborn facts driven EE, sorry..

Too bad I seem to be the only one asking for that, so far..

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
So you are saying, based on the results for the 5200w, let's just have faith and do our projection accordingly. Considering all the circumstantial evidence, including those highly visible fans, I can do that..:D I still want to see the test data though, being a stubborn facts driven EE, sorry..

Too bad I seem to be the only one asking for that, so far..
Unfortunately we can't bench test every product we cover and I am not in the same location as Theo so I couldn't simply take his review unit and bench test it.

Based on what the 5200W did on the bench, its VERY safe to assume the 7200W will at least meet and most likely exceed it. Denon doesn't put out a more expensive line in the same series that will have less performance.

That said, I expect the same limitations if you use the dreaded impedance switch on the low setting. Thus it should NEVER be set to low.

I'm not happy with the fans and smallish heatsinks in the new Denon AVRS, but it's a reality of making a product with all of these bells and whistles and CODEC licensing while keeping the prices reasonable. IMO, these are NOT the same caliber of receivers that Denon made a decade ago but from a Pre/Pro standpoint they shine and luckily they have pre outs if you need more power.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Unfortunately we can't bench test every product we cover and I am not in the same location as Theo so I couldn't simply take his review unit and bench test it.
Your bench tests were the best among all those I have seen. AVTech has more test data but no descriptive and they seem to have stopped doing any this year.

I'm not happy with the fans and smallish heatsinks in the new Denon AVRS, but it's a reality of making a product with all of these bells and whistles and CODEC licensing while keeping the prices reasonable.
Yep, I hate to see the fans too. Aside from the cost factor, that would appear to be one reason why they can keep adding amps (9 vs 7) while keeping the weight low. Smaller and less effective heat sinks, and with everything packed tight in a relatively small enclosure means less weight.

IMO, these are NOT the same caliber of receivers that Denon made a decade ago but from a Pre/Pro standpoint they shine and luckily they have pre outs if you need more power.
When the price comes down enough, I will seriously consider one to replace my AV8801. I don't know about you, for me, having used several Denon AVRs before I am quite confident the 7200 as a prepro will be as good as the much more expensive AV8802.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
When the price comes down enough, I will seriously consider one to replace my AV8801. I don't know about you, for me, having used several Denon AVRs before I am quite confident the 7200 as a prepro will be as good as the much more expensive AV8802.
I'm not sure about that. The DAC section of the AV8802 is a significant step up from the 7200 receiver. I'd say it would be pretty close and certainly a cost savings. However, I'd just wait for the 8802 to become discontinued and get it as a discount if you really aren't planning on using any of the amps in the 7200.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not sure about that. The DAC section of the AV8802 is a significant step up from the 7200 receiver. I'd say it would be pretty close and certainly a cost savings. However, I'd just wait for the 8802 to become discontinued and get it as a discount if you really aren't planning on using any of the amps in the 7200.
They have the same AK4490 DAC chip

http://www.akm.com/akm/en/aboutus/news/20141226AK4490MARANTZ_001/
http://www.akm.com/akm/en/aboutus/news/20141215AK4490DENON_001/

The Marantz, understandably has a better implementation circuitry that I guess is the significant step up you referred to?

You are right, if the 8802 price would come down to like $2,000 in 18 months then I would jump on it, but the 8801 is still going for $2499, Amazon.ca price. When I upgraded from the AV7005 to 8801, two dealers told me they typically didn't want to do trade in for pre pros. So I ended up with two pre pros. That's why I think it is better to go back to using a much more affordable AVR and accept the fact that the 9 amps will just be idling.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
They have the same AK4490 DAC chip

http://www.akm.com/akm/en/aboutus/news/20141226AK4490MARANTZ_001/
http://www.akm.com/akm/en/aboutus/news/20141215AK4490DENON_001/

The Marantz, understandably has a better implementation circuitry that I guess is the significant step up you referred to?

You are right, if the 8802 price would come down to like $2,000 in 18 months then I would jump on it, but the 8801 is still going for $2499, Amazon.ca price. When I upgraded from the AV7005 to 8801, two dealers told me they typically didn't want to do trade in for pre pros. So I ended up with two pre pros. That's why I think it is better to go back to using a much more affordable AVR and accept the fact that the 9 amps will just be idling.
Yes the "chip" is only part of the story. I'm more concerned about the analog components, layout, etc.

Why do you feel the need to keep upgrading? Sounds like you've got good gear already.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes the "chip" is only part of the story. I'm more concerned about the analog components, layout, etc.

Why do you feel the need to keep upgrading? Sounds like you've got good gear already.
You got me, I don't feel the need, but I thought in a year time the 8801 I would have the 8801 for 3 years and I have never kept any AVR or pre pro for that long.:D

Thanks for asking such pointed question though, you may be setting me up on saving 3K (paid more than that for the 8801) and spend it on my next SUV instead, like getting the leather package, that I do need as the old one would be 15.5 years old by next December.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Dealer cost on the X7200 is under $2000 while the X5200 is under $1400.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
You got me, I don't feel the need, but I thought in a year time the 8801 I would have the 8801 for 3 years and I have never kept any AVR or pre pro for that long.:D

Thanks for asking such pointed question though, you may be setting me up on saving 3K (paid more than that for the 8801) and spend it on my next SUV instead, like getting the leather package, that I do need as the old one would be 15.5 years old by next December.
Given the choice of updating an already good Pre/Pro just to get the "latest and greatest" over a new car, I know what my choice would be! Get the leather package!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Given the choice of updating an already good Pre/Pro just to get the "latest and greatest" over a new car, I know what my choice would be! Get the leather package!
Thanks again Gene, I think my wife will be happy with that choice too. I will be shock if she doesn't.:D

TheoN

TheoN

Audioholics Contributing Writer
For what it's worth, during my review period, I really pushed the X7200 hard. The top wasn't just warm, it got a bit hot. There was quite a bit of heat dissipation that I could feel. Nevertheless, I never once heard or noticed the fans engage. Now, I had the Denon in a pro rack. The APC metal rack has top vents and is front and rear vented. Therefore, air flow was never an issue in my setup.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
I won't be upgrading from my existing 4520ci as of yet. The amps on this reviewed unit are the same as used in the venerable 4520ci and they are quite good. Of course the 7200 has dolby atmos and the advanced hdmi etc..

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
If I didn't got my AV8802 now upgraded to AV8802A for 2500.00 and an overabundance of amps, It would bet between the X7200 and the new Anthem MRX 1120, $500 more, but full 11 channels of amplification.

Now that am running a full 7.1.4 setup (albeit with a very limited number of movies) I would never go back, and I am pretty confident I will hang on to the 8802A for a few years to come.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Good point, but I don't blame the guy either. Margins on most audio electronics aren't really a secret anyway.
But as much as people hate seeing someone profit from THEIR purchase, any confidentiality helps. My response to anyone who tells me they want to pay dealer cost is "OK, become a dealer", then I explain that a person saving money after they have covered all of their expenses is exactly the same as a company making a profit.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis