Are the new B&W 800 Series D3 Diamond Loudspeakers Their Best Effort Yet?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
It’s not every day that Bowers and Wilkins hosts an exclusive event for a new product announcement. It’s rarer still that the venue for such an event will be a legendary recording studio. But that’s exactly what the venerable British speaker maker did to announce their updated flagship line of loudspeakers, the 800 Series Diamond version D3. We give you an in-depth analysis of the refinements and take some of the new models for a first-hand audition. See what we think about the results of the new D3 800 Series Diamond from the flagship 802 to the potent 805 bookshelf speaker. Impressive? Most Impressive.

I’m sure these new models go down as yet another iconic milestone in B&W’s storied history.

Read: Bowers and Wilkins 800 Series D3 Diamond Loudspeakers Overview

Gone are the Kevlar drivers which were largely responsible for the resonances they have now eliminated. Can these be B&W's best effort in loudspeakers to date?

Let us know what you think.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think most of us are waiting for the actual measurements before passing judgment.

For the significant price increase, there better be some significant improvements in measurements.

On-axis & Off-axis FR better be smoother than the Infinity P362.

Spectral decay better be even more resonant-free than the current 802D2, etc.

Otherwise, it's just a ripoff.

Regarding aesthetic, I personally prefer the 802D2 much better than the 802D3.

TheoN

TheoN

Audioholics Contributing Writer
We're going to be anxious to get some measurements too. However, after listening to the previous generation and the new generation, something tells me that these will most likely be the best measuring B&W speakers ever. The differences between the two were not subtle at all.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
We're going to be anxious to get some measurements too. However, after listening to the previous generation and the new generation, something tells me that these will most likely be the best measuring B&W speakers ever. The differences between the two were not subtle at all.
That is good. Getting perfectly controlled break up on a mid range cone is the way to go. Rigid cones are actually fools gold if you want to cover the speech discrimination band.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
B&Ws don't measure perfectly, but they have always been a pleasure to hear every time I had a chance to demo them. I have only heard the higher end 800 series though, I don't know how the mid range stuff does.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, measurement improvement or not, it's difficult to swallow the $7,000 price increase (802D2 to 802D3, 803D2 to 803D3).

$7K is very dramatic. Shocking. :eek:

Surreal. Am I seeing the prices correctly? :D

Will be interesting to see if Revel raise their prices on the new series (Salon3, Studio3, etc.).

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
IIRC, this must be the first time I agree with ShadyJ:D.

R

riker1384

Junior Audioholic
I don't like the looks. The front of cabinets look like they were assembled from sections of sewer pipe. The Nautilus and older Diamond series looked better.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't like the looks. The front of cabinets look like they were assembled from sections of sewer pipe. The Nautilus and older Diamond series looked better.
Looks like I'm not the only one who prefers the older models. :)

C

class a

Junior Audioholic
Heard the 803D3 speaker today at AV Therapy in Nashua NH. They set the speaker up today. Top was open and full of detail. You could really hear the decay of the string instruments. The bottom was tight and fast. It seemed pretty easy to run as they were using a CJ 120wpc tube amp. They also just pulled out the 802D3 out of the box. Looked beautiful in the high gloss piano black cabinet.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
It looks like B&W really worked on fixing resonances (something Dr. Floyd Toole talked about in his book on the old 800 series). The cabinets seem far more rigid and especially NOT using Kevlar cone material any more is a BIG improvement in my book. I'm curious to hear the 805s in a small room to see if they will just disappear like the best of the best bookshelf speakers can do exceedingly well.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I have also heard several of the new 800 series at AV Therapy in Nashua NH (now my default dealer for everything audio-video, BTW) and came away very impressed. The description given by class a does hit it pretty good.

If (when) I shop for upmarket speakers, it would be tough choices there. With the KEF Reference, B&W 800 D3 series, and all the other brands they have setup to demo (far more than they list on their website) it will be multiple visits and a couple of home demos to decide. At least I know with that dealer, I can take home anything they got on a handshake and come back with the product or the payment when done testing. And I have done just that with many things.

T

trEs2b

Junior Audioholic
do you think the 805D3+SUB would out perform the 804D3?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
do you think the 805D3+SUB would out perform the 804D3?
Tough call, and depends upon what you listen to and under what conditions.

If it were me, I would be listening primarily to music such as jazz, folk/Americana or more sedate pop/rock and choose the 804D3. That speaker goes fairly low for all but the deepest frequencies found most often in hip-hop/dance electronica and rap. And most importantly, if I found it wasn't doing the job I could always add a sub later.

Get the best speakers you can afford now and have no regrets.

T

trEs2b

Junior Audioholic
I like the 804D3 and thinking of getting them... I know there are better speakers out there for the price but there harder to get and audition

T

trEs2b

Junior Audioholic
In your opinion, do you think the 804D3 are worth it?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Who are you asking, and by the way how much does each cost per pair?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis