Ex Machina First Blu-ray Title Released in DTS:X Immersive Surround

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
DTS has announced its first Blu-ray title in DTS:X which will be available on July 14th, 2015. The stylish, psychological thriller Ex Machina will leave audiences enthralled when it arrives on Blu-ray especially if you've got a DTS:X capable AV receiver or processor to decode the latest immersive surround format. We're not sure exactly when the DTS:X firmware upgrade will come to select Denon/Marantz products but expect hardware announcements to flow in between now and CEDIA this fall.

Read: Ex Machina First Blu-ray Title Released in DTS:X Immersive Surround

Are you ready for DTS:X?

T

TomFord

Audiophyte
Didn't know it was being released in the format. Believe I saw it had a rating of 8 on IMDB. Usually the ratings are very accurate, not in this case.

Found the movie to be way overhyped like most things are today. Regardless of medium.
Found myself fast forwarding in this predictable yarn.

McFarland, USA. Kingsman, Chapple, are some very good movies I've seen of late.
Ex Machina, just like my Ex, are both among the things I hope to never encounter

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Aside from the DTS:X Immersive Surround, who is buying the BluRay? I never watched it in the theater and I'm wondering if it would be worth buying when it goes on sale next week?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I'm gonna buy it and It Follows if amazon has it at 10 bucks next week Wed. Both films has gotten high praise from critics and audiences.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Saw it yesterday and I must say that despite my love for anything sci-fi I honestly don't think this movie was actually deep and physiological or just shallow and unsatisfying, especially the end.
Going to post this review from Imdb.

The review contains minor spoilers.

Rarely have I felt myself the "one-eyed man in the land of the blind" as when I was reading the plethora of positive reviews for this film.

What so many critics praised as "minimalist", I found shallow: A one-dimensional, clearly ego-maniacal villain creates a flawlessly sympathetic A.I., with whom our equally-flawless protagonist cements an attachment. That, plus a fairly pedestrian game of cat-and-mouse between our 'tagonists, followed by an unsatisfying ending, defines the bulk of this film.

What so many critics praised as "thought-provoking", I found nonsensical. The chance to parlay the dichotomy between evolved vs. designed intelligence through Ava's character was squandered by the decision to render her ultimate motives entirely inscrutable: a contrivance that may have been---but should not have been---the point. There were times when this film showed real promise, the potential to give real weight to the blurred line between human and synthetic self-awareness that will doubtless challenge us in years to come... but, alas, in service to its Pollock-painting motifs, it chose easy ambiguity over genuine insight.

Superficially, this film is meaningful: It certainly tackles the questions of intelligence, of person-hood, of agency and of sentience in a world where all of the above can be designed by a psychopath.

Unfortunately, those questions are damn important ones to tackle... and, in the end, "Ex Machina" in no way does them justice.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Saw it yesterday and I must say that despite my love for anything sci-fi I honestly don't think this movie was actually deep and physiological or just shallow and unsatisfying, especially the end.
Going to post this review from Imdb.

The review contains minor spoilers.

Rarely have I felt myself the "one-eyed man in the land of the blind" as when I was reading the plethora of positive reviews for this film.

What so many critics praised as "minimalist", I found shallow: A one-dimensional, clearly ego-maniacal villain creates a flawlessly sympathetic A.I., with whom our equally-flawless protagonist cements an attachment. That, plus a fairly pedestrian game of cat-and-mouse between our 'tagonists, followed by an unsatisfying ending, defines the bulk of this film.

What so many critics praised as "thought-provoking", I found nonsensical. The chance to parlay the dichotomy between evolved vs. designed intelligence through Ava's character was squandered by the decision to render her ultimate motives entirely inscrutable: a contrivance that may have been---but should not have been---the point. There were times when this film showed real promise, the potential to give real weight to the blurred line between human and synthetic self-awareness that will doubtless challenge us in years to come... but, alas, in service to its Pollock-painting motifs, it chose easy ambiguity over genuine insight.

Superficially, this film is meaningful: It certainly tackles the questions of intelligence, of person-hood, of agency and of sentience in a world where all of the above can be designed by a psychopath.

Unfortunately, those questions are damn important ones to tackle... and, in the end, "Ex Machina" in no way does them justice.
I thought the last Battlestar Gallactica series dealt with sentient beings quite well. Needless to say, I bought it becuase its a sci-fi.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Watched it last night and enjoyed it. The audio was excellent. The subject matter was very interesting and the technical discussion was as well, however I don't think it quite fully hit the mark for a classic sci-fi film.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Watched it last night and enjoyed it. The audio was excellent. The subject matter was very interesting and the technical discussion was as well, however I don't think it quite fully hit the mark for a classic sci-fi film.
I haven't had time to watch it yet

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
considering the dumbing down of the movie industry lately, this was certainly a refreshing change. Of course part of the reason; it wasn't produced in Hollywood.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis