RBH MC-4C Bookshelf Speaker Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The RBH MC-4C are a high-performance speaker in a very compact package. They address the internal conflict in many of us; we want high-quality sound, but would rather not have to accommodate huge speakers to get it. Too often, small speakers represent a big compromise in sound. However, with the RBH MC-4C, good things do come in small packages. They look great, measure well, and most importantly excel sonically. Read our review and check out our YouTube video on the RBH MC-4C speakers.

Read the RBH MC-4C Bookshelf Speaker Review

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Hmmm.... I might be a week or two away from starting a forum write-up comparing bookshelf speakers ranging from $200/pr-$2000/pr+, with a subjective approach aiming to provide some literary perspective on what the average consumer can reasonably expect, at what price point. At this price, the RBH's slot in second from bottom... a great place to shine from!

EMP, Energy, RBH, Focal, Paradigm are already in with dual Marantz 6001's to switch between two pairs of speakers. Tweeter dome construction ranges from aluminum, to silk dome all the way to Beryllium. If you're finished with these, and RBH doesn't mind (I own RBH speakers, too, and am not in anyway biased :) you could always drop ship them to ATL before they return to Utah?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
You're doing a forum shootout for real? Send me an email about the details: gds@audioholics.com

RBH is phasing these out but I requested a couple of pairs for Marshall to do his Atmos testing with so I figured he might as well do a review of them too.

I may be able to get RBH to send you a pair of SX-61s instead.

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Quote: "You might also consider purchasing two small subs, placing them in close proximity to the left and right speakers, and running them in stereo. This would give you full-frequency range response in a compact package while accommodating a higher crossover point, smoothing out low frequency response, and giving you the best stereo separation at high-bass frequencies."

Question: Did something change recently?

Before the recommendations were to put dual sub's in opposing symmetrical sides of the room. To properly balance the bass. As well as running the dual subs in mono.

Thanks.

Reorx

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Quote: "You might also consider purchasing two small subs, placing them in close proximity to the left and right speakers, and running them in stereo. This would give you full-frequency range response in a compact package while accommodating a higher crossover point, smoothing out low frequency response, and giving you the best stereo separation at high-bass frequencies."

Before the recommendations were to put dual sub's in opposing symmetrical sides of the room. To properly balance the bass. As well as running the dual subs in mono.

Thanks.

Reorx
I think the idea is that since you would want to cross over these speakers at 150Hz or higher, you would be able to tell where the sound came from. Normally subs are crossed low enough that most of us can't locate it by sound.
So you are sacrificing optimal placement to prevent a greater sin - having the bass player behind you while the rest of the band is in front!
Crossing over so high puts the sub in the role normally played by a mid-woofer, and you want your mid-woofer near the tweeter.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

Thanks.

Reorx
As Kew stated I recommend placing dual subs on the front wall in close proximity to the front speakers if you're using satellite speakers that require a higher than 80Hz crossover setting to get a good mid bass integration. This works very well especially with 1/4L and 3/4L placement.

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
That's what I thought you would say. I didn't want to put words into your mouth though. And I had not thought about the directionality of the mid-bass.

It seems like it would be more headache then what it's worth to run these as a LCR. if you need to purchase 2 subs to provide that mid-bass extension, your already taking up the floor space, plus adding cost. If you are using existing subs, then it might be a pain for the normal person to calibrate properly.

You might as well get larger bookshelf or tower speakers that already are capable. RBH MC-6C, or 661 series for example.

I really do like the fact that they are not rear ported. And I could see myself getting these little guys for surround, surround rears, wide, or height. Maybe suspending them from the ceiling for an Atmos setup. o_O

Thanks for the review.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It seems like it would be more headache then what it's worth to run these as a LCR.
I think that is a fair assessment. These speakers are so bass shy, I would only really consider them as satellites. I suppose you might pair them with a competent 8" sub to complete the bass in a 2 channel system... and then add a sub:D.

nova

nova

Full Audioholic
Too bad these are being phased out. I think they are a great little speaker. I did not think these were all that "bass shy", though mine are the originals not the Mark II reviewed here. Not to say there is a lot of bass but crossed at 160 Hz? I've run mine full range with an Acurus A250 (okay I've abused mine) at very high volume and they never complained and sounded quite good. Was rather amused at the driver excursion and quality of upper mid-bass.

I typically run mine in a small (~12'x~14') room, crossover at 120 Hz and an RBH TS-10AP sub. At times I enjoy them more than my SE-1266's

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis