Which AV Products Should Come Back?

What's your favorite AV product that should make a come back?

• 8-Track Player

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Lexicon Blu-ray Player

• Mi-Horn Speakers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Audioholics GLOB Speaker Cables

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers

• None of the Above

Votes: 18 75.0%

• Total voters
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Let's face it, we all have a nostalgic side to us. Some have it for cars, clothing, houses, etc. But what about audio? Of course, vintage audio is alive and kicking. Just check out our Facebook page on Throwback Thursday for confirmation. Our recent article on the Most Memorable Receivers of the Last 50 Years remains one of our top downloaded article on this site since we posted it over a month ago. That tells you something. But, what about the more obscure vintage products. They deserve love too, especially on a day like this don't they? Well, it's time to pay a little homage to a few of the gone, but not entirely forgotten classics.

Read AV Products That Should Make a Come Back

Vote for your favorite of tell us yours if its not on our list.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
There should be a sixth option on the poll, to say non of the above.:)

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
My vote goes to the See 'N Say. "The cow goes, 'Moooooo'." Classic.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Forum Fiend v1.3.1.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
This was a hard one. I liked the glowing cable. ;)

S

spawndukes

Audiophyte
I think large diameter paper cone woofers should come around again

highfigh

highfigh

I think large diameter paper cone woofers should come around again
They're still made but aren't used for most home audio speakers. I don't think I have seen a guitar, bass or PA speaker that's made of plastic.

S

spawndukes

Audiophyte
Of course the concert gear is still large pulp. But what about Hitachi, Fisher, pioneer? They don't make any large pulp cones anymore. It's all multi 6 inch units in a tall skinny cabinet now. And I can guarantee that non of them have the presence and fidelity of a big tannoy dual concentric. When it comes to sound there is no replacement for displacement. Before the days of subs many people where rocking 4 twelves in a/b stereo and watching music on mtv/much music. Small cones sound pretty good and are usually the best trade between style and sound. Large cones just aren't that sellable to most people these daysdue tongue cabinet size. So manufacturers have came up with all sorts of gimmicks to make us believe that smaller is better.

highfigh

highfigh

Of course the concert gear is still large pulp. But what about Hitachi, Fisher, pioneer? They don't make any large pulp cones anymore. It's all multi 6 inch units in a tall skinny cabinet now. And I can guarantee that non of them have the presence and fidelity of a big tannoy dual concentric. When it comes to sound there is no replacement for displacement. Before the days of subs many people where rocking 4 twelves in a/b stereo and watching music on mtv/much music. Small cones sound pretty good and are usually the best trade between style and sound. Large cones just aren't that sellable to most people these daysdue tongue cabinet size. So manufacturers have came up with all sorts of gimmicks to make us believe that smaller is better.
Consumer products are made to hit a price point more than achieve a particular result. Also, it's interior designers who hate seeing audio that caused the small speaker size to be a requirement.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

In these days of rising LP sales, my vote goes to the Cecil E. Watts Dust Bug.

This is the quite the best and most useful device for preserving silent surfaces of your LPs. All the imitators that have come since just don't do the job like the original Dust Bug!

Steve Eddy

Steve Eddy

Audioholic Intern
I think something from the past whose time for a comeback is upon us are the large, credenza-size console stereos from the '60s and '70s.

Starting with the earliest days of radio, audio-related consumer gear was designed after furniture. It was meant to look like it actually belonged in your living room and not some research laboratory.

After the consoles we began seeing the "rack" systems with separate components and floor standing loudspeakers. I believe this marks the point where the audio industry wrote women completely out of the equation, went Total Testosterone and has never looked back.

Once "home theater" became popular, where at least those early rack systems had some sense of design, everything has pretty much become a bunch of ugly black boxes. Not to mention a whole bunch more of them due to the multichannel nature of home theater.

I first got the idea of a console revival about 7 or 8 years ago. And ever since then I've been keeping an eye out to see if anyone had taken that approach.

The closest anyone has ever come is Klipsch. At the 2013 CES, they showed a prototype console. It was of about the same size I had in mind, and unlike the original consoles had no source components. Just amplification and loudspeakers in a single cabinet.

However Klipsch was marketing in Total Testosterone mode.

It was just a big ugly black monolith. Their big gimmick was the arrangement of the subwoofer drivers which were done in such a way as to cancel vibrations.

This was demonstrated by placing a wine glass filled with water on the top of the console and then cranking Metallica to ear-splitting levels and pointing out that the water wasn't vibrating.

As I said, this was just a prototype. They said they planned to release it first quarter of 2014. Of course 2014 has come and gone, and no sign of any console from Klipsch.

I think it's long past due that women be brought back into the fold. Women love music too. And they have an appreciation for high quality. They have more disposable income of their own than ever before. Not to mention that they're a little over half the population.

And I think a credenza size console stereo in a furniture grade midcentury modern styled cabinet complete with vintage grille cloth would be just the ticket to do it.

In addition to its beauty, it would be a pretty simple plug 'n' play affair. And with no source components, it wouldn't require a hinged top lid for access, making the top of the console the perfect place to put a big screen TV for a simple 2.0 affair.

I felt vindicated when a couple of years ago our local paper ran a story about the growing popularity of vinyl.

The article featured a couple of local shops that were doing well repairing and refurbishing old turntables. And while the bulk of the article was on this subject, mt vindication came in a few paragraphs at the end of the article.

"The most unexpected trend Gálvez is seeing at his shop is a growing interest in the repair and buying of the big console record players that were popular in the '60s and '70s.

Those players usually combined a turntable, receiver and speakers into one piece of furniture.

Until recently it was almost impossible to get rid of one.

'I'm repairing three to four of those a week now,' he said.

In Granit Bay, Halecker is also seeing a growing trend among women in the cabinet-size consoles - as both music player and design choice.

'If they (women) go vintage they truly want vintage,' she said. 'They want the wood and the lattice. They want the midcentury modern look.'"

I rest my case.

se

Steve Eddy

Steve Eddy

Audioholic Intern
P.S. I think such a design would be popular among men as well. At least those whose sense of good taste hasn't been completely destroyed by testosterone. :D

se

Steve Eddy

Steve Eddy

Audioholic Intern
I'm with ya, brother!

These are the speakers I'm listing to now. The speakers I bought with my first "real" stereo system back around '76 when I was 16.

Not the exact speakers. I eventually sold them but bought another pair from a local guy about 8 years ago when I was feeling nostalgic. Not the most accurate speaker, but they are definitely a FUN speaker.

15 inches, baby! :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis