Quantum Dot Displays: Next Hot HDTV Tech?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Quantum Dots are a new technology that promises to improve the color fidelity, brightness, and output or LED-based displays. We take in in-depth look at quantum dot technology, its implications for the new UHD standard, what does and what it doesn't do and whether or not you should consider a quantum dot-based display for your next television purchase.

Discuss "Quantum Dot Displays: Next Hot HDTV Tech?" here. Read the article.

itschris

itschris

Who cares? Another stop-gap technology that has a label that sounds cool to generate interest without seemingly doing much. TV makers should abandon focus on smaller displays... concentrate on the larger panels 50 inch on up. I think a lot of the new tech is just lost on the smaller displays. It's the large screens that need work. My new 75" is really nice, but could be tons better. I can get tons better, but it'll cost $5K or more.

Incremental changes don't interest me which is why I waited so long to replace my Mits DLP. Going to the new Samsung was a really nice upgrade. Dots probably won't inspire me to drop cash on another set. When they come out with super slick 75 to 90" panels that have good blacks, no motion blur and judder, and no soap opera issues... for a price that you can get your head around... I'm in.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
This will extend LCD technology. LCD is catching up with OLED in terms of performance (still needs improvement in blacks, color gamut, but dots will improve that). LCD still hands down wins on price due to yeild vs size. My Samsung is 2 years old and doesn't have soap opera look. My dad's is one year old, a lower model, and that panel actually looks even better than mine. OLED had been carving out a niche, but LCD sales actually increased so that just says that OLED isn't quite ready (cost still being the killer).

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
Although QDDs definitely seem like a step in the right direction from the current crop of LEDs, I still can't help but think...RIP Plasma. I miss you already. :(

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Sound and Vision just did a poll (poorly worded one at that) comparing TV tech and how many people wanted to buy what. 'Sticking with my Plasma' won the day but a decent margin...

R

Relarm

Audiophyte
In so many reviews of new LCD TV's the Pioneer Kuro Plasma TV is referred to as an unattainable or an .... almost as good as ..... benchmark.

It befuddles me to try to understand why an industry has intentionally killed a preferred (by those who know) and better technology (plasma), yet continuously charges more for incremental upgrades to an inferior technology that will never be as good .... sure ..... OLED is on the way ...... someday ..... but in the mean time .... why not plasma?

And don't give me that " It's the consumers choice BS" If the manufacturers would have marketed plasma as the better choice, the consumers would have bought it. They used the fact that LCD TV's could be turned up to glaring brightness (that no one will ever use) for noticeability on the display wall to gain the attention of the uninformed. They keep putting money into the development of LCD.... (why not plasma?) ... until OLED arrives.

Except for articles and publications that are typically directed to audio/video aficionados... NOWHERE do/did you ever see any mention of the fact that plasma is better than LCD, that was directed toward the average uninformed consumer. Did you ever see a comparison chart of capabilities between LCD and Plasma at a Best Buy? A list of what is important to look for when buying a TV?
Nope .... just a huge wall of a large quantity of glaringly bright mostly cheap LCD TV's along side of.... and to be compared to, a few true colored plasmas. Let the consumer compare.

It's thinner! they promote .... without mentioning the fact that the speakers have been reduced to quarter sized drivers pointed at the wall behind the TV. And people wonder why sound bars have become so popular.
It's 1,000.000 to 1 contrast ratio.... they say .... without mentioning what exactly that means .... but it sure is a big number.

Yeah ...... sure ..... plasma is gone. Now there's not much, if anything left for the informed to choose from.

The following works for both the Plasma LCD issue as well as politics.

"Never underestimate the influence of a large group of ignorant people".

Long live my KURO!

P

paobender

Audiophyte
It's the large screens that need work. My new 75" is really nice, but could be tons better. I can get tons better, but it'll cost $5K or more.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Slightly bugs me to keep reading in the article "LED Display" so many times. It's same old LCD display with LED Back Illumination.
aka from this :

To this:

Otherwise, besides small tweaks (like Q-Dot) it's a same old LCD.

OLED should be the big game changer, not yet another LCD tweak

"LED panels" - Uggg - even worse. It burns my eyes

M

mr sarnoff

Audioholic Intern
Although QDDs definitely seem like a step in the right direction from the current crop of LEDs, I still can't help but think...RIP Plasma. I miss you already. :(
I still have my 2013 Sammy Plasma best of 5 sets here incliding my 2013 Sony and LG LED's and it ain't going anywhere anytime soon even after looking at the 2015 TOTL LCD sets .............

V

videobruce

Audioholic
Another stop-gap technology that has a label that sounds cool to generate interest without seemingly doing much.
No, it's just another 'gimmick' to sell more lousy LCD sets.
This will extend LCD technology. LCD is catching up with OLED in terms of performance (still needs improvement in blacks, color gamut, but dots will improve that)
They can add all of the dots they want, but none of that will change the terrible viewing angles of VA panels. :p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis