Which avr in which room?

T

timmay8612

Audioholic
Hi all. I have a two year old Pioneer vsx-1021k powering my 5.1 system in my basement currently (see sig).

We just got a denon avr x1000 for a 2 channel system upstairs that has some legacy components including a DVD player and Wii in it sent to a panny plasma.

When I bought the denon I didn't realize that it didn't upconvert analogue video and pass it over HDMI so now I'm running HDMI and analogue to the display, which is cumbersome.

I'm wondering for the sake of comparison if these receivers are significantly different from a sound performance standpoint if I put the denon downstairs and the pioneer upstairs? Fwiw the only source I use downstairs is a PS3 and have plans for CD. I have no plans to expand to 7.1 due to room size.

selden

selden

Audioholic
So long as the X1000's functionality is adequate for the other room, it should be fine.

In principle, the room EQ used by the Denon receiver should provide somewhat better sound than you get from the Pioneer, so do be sure to calibrate it after the move.

T

timmay8612

Audioholic
Thanks seldon. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to compare the channel wattage on these two. I'm well aware that manufacturers rate their amps differently. Pioneer's website rates the amp section at 90 watts per channel (20Hz-20kHz,.08%THD@8ohm). http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer Receivers/VSX-1021-K

I'm having trouble finding a similar rating for the Denon, though the audioholics review noted the wattage as 80 wpc.

I realize we're only potentially talking about 10 watts, but I don't want to compromise headroom in my main system downstairs.

Otherwise, I'm having a hard time noting any significant difference between the two units other than 7.1 vs 5.1 and the aforementioned legacy inputs that I need in the system upstairs??

selden

selden

Audioholic
Unfortunately, I doubt you'll find an accurate measurement for the power. Bear in mind that a difference of 10W is going to be inaudible, and most people listen at sound levels which need less than 20W/ch.

The major difference is in their room equalization software. Denon's Audyssey EQs the subwoofer. The level of MCACC that's in the 1021 provides only minimal subwoofer adjustments. On the other hand, MCACC is more tweekable.

T

timmay8612

Audioholic
So "advanced MCACC" 9 band isn't doing much for my sub, but the Audyssey XT on the Denon is going to do more on the sub? Tweakability doesn't matter too much to me, since I don't really know enough about it to be tweaking on it. I don't own any analysis gear or anything.

FWIW my listening levels are usually between -24 and -29 on the Pioneer and I'm hearing no distortion. I'm not concerned about volume decreasing with the Denon, I know that won't change with the 10 watts. I just don't want to hear distortion.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis