XTZ Cinema Series M6 and S5 Speaker System Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
There is a growing buzz around XTZ Sound. The Sweden based hi-fi company manufactures the XTZ Cinema Series M6 hybrid 2/3-way main LCR satellite and S5 dipole surround speakers at $1000 and $700 a piece, respectively. These speakers feature something you don't see everyday: multiple tweeters. What can four tweeters do that one single tweeter can't? Read on to find out what a talented loudspeaker designer can do when a company is willing to think outside of the box....

Read the XTZ Cinema Series M6 and S5 Speaker System Review

Can you see these speakers in your theater for a future upgrade? Let us know.

[video=youtube_share;shyl_lwGuEo]http://youtu.be/shyl_lwGuEo[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Somehow the conclusion was placed on page 2 - and listening tests on page 3.

M

Mr_Owlow

Enthusiast
Great review and cool speakers, I just want them even more now!

U

utopianemo

Junior Audioholic
Sonic characteristics?

Aside from a lack of high-end harshness, strong dynamics and a solid soundstage, what tonal qualities did the speakers have?

I love Feist, particularly "The Reminder", but given its intentionally low-fi sound, it's a strange choice for testing speakers. But I can see how "Limit" would be a good test for soundstage and harshness. Outside of that, how did the midrange sound compared to the rest of the frequencies?

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
Aside from a lack of high-end harshness, strong dynamics and a solid soundstage, what tonal qualities did the speakers have?

I love Feist, particularly "The Reminder", but given its intentionally low-fi sound, it's a strange choice for testing speakers. But I can see how "Limit" would be a good test for soundstage and harshness. Outside of that, how did the midrange sound compared to the rest of the frequencies?
Given the fallibility of acoustic memory, I'd hate to attempt a direct comparison from memory alone, but I'd say that with their unique tweeter implementation, the had a bit more high-frequency emphasis than my JBLs and some other speakers I've tested. Where many speakers I toe in just off the shoulder, these I left almost perpendicular to the front wall, which, with the angled baffle, amount to only slight toe-in. This brought a little more balance between the highs/high-mids and low-mids, but if I'm using common audiophile objectives, I'll call these more forward than warm in the midrange.

Keep in mind, this commentary is based on ear-alone, a notoriously weak instrument, and the listening window measurements I did (with my mid-end mic and gear) matched the manufacturer's frequency graph: XTZ Cinema Series - Compact hifi cinema experience.

...flat and extended. Still, the ears do have their own opinions, don't they?

As for Feist's The Reminder, I wouldn't call it a low-fi recording at all. It's certainly not sterile, which I think is what many expect hi-fi to be: clean and precise instruments perfectly placed in the mix and sweetened in all the right ways. Watch "Look at what the light did now" and you'll get a lot of insight into the recording process. The Reminder was recorded with uncommon techniques, outside a studio, but that doesn't make the recording itself lo-fi with a few exceptions (the portable recording at the end of "My Moon My Man" which segues into "The Park"). Instead, what you have are clean dynamic recordings that capture more than a single instrument. It's busy, and it's live, but it's not low-fi.

There's a reason why everyone plays Diana Krall when demoing systems at the audio shows: her recordings sound great on everything, including small cube/midbass systems. With "The Reminder", a system needs to be suitably high-quality to resolve the subtle details capture in the recording: the sense of spaciousness, the natural claps and footfalls, the soft-to-loud dynamics that, for the most part, have avoided limiters and compressors. Nothing against Diana Krall, who I love and listen to regularly, but "The Girl in the Other Room" is just a different beast, with no more or less fidelity.

M

Mr_Owlow

Enthusiast
I listened to these again, and the brand new Master M2 at the Gothenburg HiFi show this weekend. They do have a forward presentation, and Marshall describes the sound well. They are very revealing speakers, so on sibilant recordings they sound harsh, on mellow recordings they sound mellow. The Master M2's sounded spectacular, the female voices they chose, (Sarah McLachlan, Tracy Chapman and some others) were incredibly well rendered, with a truly High End sound. They played some songs by a group called Banyan too, and instrumental tracks sound great as well.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I never listened to any of the models, but....
The XTZ speakers get rave reviews around here, wherever you turn... up to the point that it's been claimed that there's something wrong with the price, they're being seriously underpriced; especially these ones, which turned out to be the reference for one of the main audioholic magazines around here
http://www.xtzsound.com/en/products/speakers/divine-100-49-walnut#

Just have a look at the drivers.........

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
I'm having a hard time understanding how a HT setup can get a 4.5 stars with such anaemic LF response. Did I miss something? Is that just not important anymore in a 5.1 channel setup?

DJ

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I'm having a hard time understanding how a HT setup can get a 4.5 stars with such anaemic LF response. Did I miss something? Is that just not important anymore in a 5.1 channel setup?

DJ
Satellite speakers are meant to be mated with subs. The speakers in question have a very large dynamic range and output above 80Hz which was a design goal of the speakers.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
OK, so then I misunderstood. I thought the graph included the monster subs located on each side of the system as per the picture.

Jesus I gotta leave this site alone so early in the morning.

DJ

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I listened to these again, and the brand new Master M2 at the Gothenburg HiFi show this weekend. They do have a forward presentation, and Marshall describes the sound well. They are very revealing speakers, so on sibilant recordings they sound harsh, on mellow recordings they sound mellow. The Master M2's sounded spectacular, the female voices they chose, (Sarah McLachlan, Tracy Chapman and some others) were incredibly well rendered, with a truly High End sound. They played some songs by a group called Banyan too, and instrumental tracks sound great as well.
Did you hear what's the problem with the M2's .... As far as I know they were promised to get onto the market more than 1.5 years ago, but they're still not listed on the XTZ web shop, and there seem to be delays after delays... Was it mentioned anything in the Göteborg HiFi show when they will appear on the market.

I'd really consider to buy the Master M2 :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis