VidOn Box XBMC Digital Media Player Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
At first glance, the $72.88 VidOn Box appears to be little more than an inexpensive competitor to devices like the Apple TV and Roku Streaming Stick. However, if you dig a little deeper, you'll find a device that in many ways can compete with a full blown HTPC. The VidOn Box is built around a quad core ARM processor, octal core GPU, and 1GB of memory; on the software side of the equation, the Box boasts a custom build of XBMC, enabling a wide range of functionality including Blu-ray menu navigation.

Read the VidON Box XBMC Digital Media Player Preview

How are you streaming your movies? Let us know.

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
"Now what about the subscription we mentioned earlier? This is the key to VidOn’s claim to fame, a complete Blu-ray menu navigation system."

Why is a Blu-ray menu navigation system a claim to fame? My Blu-ray player has one already. The thing I'd like to know about the subscription is what you get for $2 per month?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
Why is a Blu-ray menu navigation system a claim to fame? My Blu-ray player has one already.
People who buy these boxes, don't use a bluray player. They rip (or 90% of them download illegally lol) their bluray discs to hard drives. Unless you rip the discs as ISO, you weren't able to see the menu of a movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
This device has great potential.
I just wish it had 802.11ac.
H.265 playback would be a bonus.

It looks similar to plex + a roku stick/box.
Whereas you can have a VidOn server software running on your PC, transcoding and streaming your movies to the player.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis