NHT Classic Three Bookshelf Loudspeaker: Full Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Generally speaking, getting great sound entails spending thousands of dollars on loudspeakers; of course, if you'd like those speakers to actually look good as well, you can tack on another few hundred bucks for good measure. But what if it were possible to get big audiophile sound in a compact, solidly-built, WAF-friendly package for under $900? The NHT Classic Three Bookshelf loudspeakers promise to do just that. Are these speakers a real diamond in the rough, or are they all talk? Read our full review to find out.

Read the NHT Classic Three Bookshelf speaker review here. Does anybody own (or want to own) a pair of these fine speakers?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Thanks for the review Theo! I actually thought about trying a pair for my bedroom system (and for my theater). I like the look and the measurements I've seen look promising.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, Theo. Thanks for the review. Are you able to compare these to any of their older offerings, such as the 1.5 bookshelves or 2.5/2.9 towers? I passed on these a couple of years ago (back when they were $700/pair, maybe even $600/pair on sale) because I wasn't sure if they'd be much better than the system of 1.5s that I have. Thanks.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Where is the rest of the review?:)
Are you having trouble viewing it? I'm seeing a total of three pages (the intro/unboxing/initial impressions, sound quality tests, and conclusion).

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Are you having trouble viewing it? I'm seeing a total of three pages (the intro/unboxing/initial impressions, sound quality tests, and conclusion).
I think he's being "tongue in cheek" referring to lack of measurement

zieglj01, NHT Classic 3 already had been measured online extensively:
here are few sources for you:

Let me google that for you

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Terrific off-axis response and very pretty speaker for the price. The only drawback is the sensitivity is a bit low, which may be a tad worrisome for those headbangers out there. I wouldn't mind trying out a pair for a desktop system.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
Very good sounding (and measuring) speakers... and very will built. It's hard for me to say they're a great deal for $900 when they have sold for $600 before... but still nice speakers.

That said, I personally don't like the look much... I've grown very tired of gloss black in general though.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Measurements and pictures of the inside and crossover.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Very good sounding (and measuring) speakers... and very will built. It's hard for me to say they're a great deal for $900 when they have sold for $600 before... but still nice speakers.

That said, I personally don't like the look much... I've grown very tired of gloss black in general though.
I still think that NHT is over priced - however, a good deal when on sale.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I think he's being "tongue in cheek" referring to lack of measurement

zieglj01, NHT Classic 3 already had been measured online extensively:
here are few sources for you:

Let me google that for you
I know that - however, they (NHT) are getting good marketing response for being a sponsor.:)

I still miss some of them Audioholics reviews - where you get a more detailed review.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not crazy about gloss black either, but I like the styling of these cabinets. I heard these when they first came out and there were still stores that carried them and I really liked them. I just couldn't justify the price then either.

TheoN

TheoN

Audioholics Contributing Writer

Finding these on sale unquestionably raises the value proposition even more! Likewise, the gloss black is a personal taste, but they really are small for the sound they put out. Compared to the mid-range B&W and Revel bookshelf lines, these are small by comparison. The one thing about black is that it also has the tendency to make the speaker look smaller. I know some people are looking for a particular wood veneer, but at this price point—with few exceptions—I don't tend to find something that's of high quality. Instead, the veneer tends to make the product look cheap.

TheoN

TheoN

Hi, Theo. Thanks for the review. Are you able to compare these to any of their older offerings, such as the 1.5 bookshelves or 2.5/2.9 towers? I passed on these a couple of years ago (back when they were $700/pair, maybe even $600/pair on sale) because I wasn't sure if they'd be much better than the system of 1.5s that I have. Thanks.
This was my first experience with NHT speakers and I was pleasantly surprised as you saw. You must be really enjoying your 1.5s!

Unfortunately, I didn't get any different model NHT's for review to be able to do a direct comparison. My recent experience over the past 7 years or so has been with "higher-end" bookshelf and tower speakers.

defmoot

defmoot

Audioholic
Thanks for the review.

I run the Classic Threes with an Outlaw EX in 2.1 for music and think it makes for a really nice "budget" rig. Like zieglj01, however, I'd like to see Audioholics measure this speaker. It's been done before by Stereophile and SoundStage, but the Three has been in service for a while. A new and competent analysis by you guys would be useful and welcome, I think.

A few other comments:

Because of their shape, they are a little tricky to handle at first. Simply orient them upside down when you first open the box. The packing foam is dense and shaped to fit the curved contours of the cabinet. It will hold things fairly securely while you install the base rails.

As mentioned, when installing the rails use a proper size, manual Philips-head screwdriver. I suggest pre-installing the screws about half way, then backing them out, indexing the rail, then re-driving the screws until the rail is secured flush. It takes a bit of effort because the cabinet material is dense and the finish is hard. When pre-driving the screws, take care that they're oriented 90 degrees tangent to the curve and don't go in at a goofy angle.*** Failure to do this may result in the rail "sitting high" with a slight gap, or at the very least, the screw head won't fit properly into its recess in the rail. It's not difficult to do properly and is mostly a cosmetic issue, but it's the kind of thing that'd drive me buggy. I agree with the reviewer that a more elegant solution would've been a nice touch here, but it functions just fine.

Oddly, the review made no mention of the little adhesive-backed, foam "mustache" doohickey that the user should apply between the tweeter and mid before firing them up. It's purpose is to help control diffraction between the two drivers. Maybe NHT has done away with it, one of those "small but measurable" things? I frankly doubt I could hear a difference with or without it. My ears are pretty good, but I know they're not that good.

At the risk of stirring up the break-in debate, I thought the tweeter on the Threes sounded a little harsh for the first hour or so of use. And I'm not even a true believer! But here's the deal. When I received the Threes one of them, unfortunately, had a slight imperfection in the shape of the curve at the top near the tweeter. I didn't even notice it at first, thought I could live with it, then couldn't stop seeing it at every moment. It was minor, but that's just the way I'm wired (glossy black is a harsh mistress for me, apparently). NHT sent me a new speaker, right away, no problem. Great customer service. When I swapped in the new speaker the harshness returned for a while on that side only (confirmation-bias-placebo-wacka-wacka-I-know-I-know). Now, in my defense, my wife noticed it too, despite not knowing which speaker had been replaced. So, maybe it was real. :D

As far as the pricing is concerned, I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't know anybody who pays full price for audio gear, or much else for that matter. It's the way of the world these days. I got a great deal on my pair (sale plus coupon code). Look to NHT's dealer network for some wiggle room, or, you know, ask around. Someone might know a guy. :)

Like the reviewer, years ago I had a thing for KEF monitors. Loved my 101s and enjoyed them for a long time. I'm not foolish enough to think the Threes sound anything like them, but with well recorded and mastered material they deliver similar pleasures. Makes me wish I'd had an EX in 1983, though. :cool:

***ETA: This worked for my Threes in Feb 2012. Check the angle for your rail screws before proceeding. :D

Last edited:
TheoN

TheoN

@defmoot, you bring up some really great points and comments. Well said—especially with the installation of the rails!

To your other point, the foam or "mustache" as NHT calls it was indeed included with the speakers. I had asked NHT about it and what they told me was that the primary purpose of the foam piece (moustache) is to smooth a small peak and dip in the tweeter response (near 7kHz). The peak-dip is caused by a reflection from the midrange dome. Since it addressed the peak and dip I then asked why this wasn't pre-installed and the reason was two-fold:

First, some people are sensitive to the peak-dip and some aren’t.
Secondly, the foam piece isn’t perfect. It affects a range from 5kHz to 10kHz. It might make the speaker sound a little dull in a very well-damped room.

In my particular case, I don't have a very lively room so I chose to keep the foam pieces unapplied. The review was a bit on the long side but nevertheless, I should have included a mention about it. Noted!

Last edited:
W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
I had these speakers years ago, when they were on sale for around $500. For that price, they were the bargain of the century. I think they still hold their own against any similarly sized bookshelf speaker I can think of, even ones that cost a lot more. I think the fact they are sealed helped, the bass never sounded boomy, and they dispersed very well, imaging was very 3D holographic.

I really hated the rails and rounded bottom though…when perched up on a standard stand with 6x6 plates, it worked well from a stability point of view it didn’t look like the speaker was part of the stand. Costmetically I really wish they sold an integral stand that mated with the bottom of the speaker better.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis