Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear Headphones Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Sennheiser Momentum headphones have some of the best sonic qualities I've heard in a $350 headphone. While they do have small earcups for an over-ear headphone and the headband isn't the most comfortable, the sonics more than make up for these issues. The build quality is excellent, the asethetics more than pleasing, and they've gone with a standard, PVC-covered cable because, while it isn't the "coolest", it is the one the works the best. With tons of little touches like an adjustable right angle connection, there is very little not to like about the Sennheiser Momentum headphones. Highly recommended!

Discuss "Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear Headphones Review" here. Read the article.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the write-up. I am looking for a pair of sealed headphones. I am currently trying to decide between the Momentum's and the NAD Viso HP50's. I have heard the Momentum's and agree they sound fantastic. I am concerned about the ear cup size. I don't have a large head or large ears, but when I tried them on they did not fit all the way around my ear without touching in areas. I am concerned that they may get uncomfortable after awhile. Did you experience any discomfort?

I cannot try the NAD's without buying them, but I have read good reviews of those as well.

Anybody have experience with both, or have other suggestions?

R

riker1384

Junior Audioholic
Can anyone provide measurements of the insider of the ear cups?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Last edited:
brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Haven't lurked the forums for a while but felt obligated to comment on this article. I had the momentums and they were great headphones. The stray wire from the band to the top of the headphones got snagged on something and broke though. Something to be aware of. I know they're still under warranty but it's such a pain to have to deal with shipping and waiting 2 months for them to be returned and all that jazz. Something to be aware of, seems like a design flaw to have that important wire so exposed and not user replaceable.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
First post in nearly four months, and it's to b***h about something.

:p Welcome back, man! Stop being a stranger. I can't count the number of jokes that just slipped by everyone because they didn't have your follow up post. :D

K

krencey

Audiophyte
comparison with KEF M500?

Hey guys,

how would you compare these sonically to the KEF M500?

Last edited:
M

MrHeadGear

Enthusiast
thank you for reviews, i don't know, but i'm only buy Sennheiser once, and never again since that

Last edited:
D

Dryfee

Audiophyte
Simply the best.

For portable, closed over ear headphones, there is no match. No match in terms of aesthetics, nor sound quality.

Sealman

Sealman

Junior Audioholic
I have the Over the ear Momentums and can confirm they are definitely smallish for an over the ear headphone.
I have a large (7 1/2 hat size) head and they are really too small for me. By small I mean they don't fit completely over my ears and have a little too much clamping force.
However, with all that said I like them enough I still use them for 1 hour sessions. Much longer and they start to be too uncomfortable.

My tape measure says 1 1/4 wide by 2 1/16 long give or take a16th of an inch for the inside dimensions.

Good luck.

Sealman

Sealman

Junior Audioholic
Well after reading through the forum a little and then some reviews I purchased a pair of the ON the ear Momentums yesterday.
I am curious to see the difference in sound compared to the OVER the ear model I already have.

LOL, I knew better than to start digging around for more info regarding something I had been considering buying.
Every time I do that I seem to buy something whether I need it of not!

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I'm not a big headphones guy, but I picked up a set of these to try out to replace my Grado SR225s and some Klipsch in-ears. Mostly just listening at home, but I wanted a closed back so I don't disturb my wife at night and I didn't really want another set of in-ears. Enjoying them so far breaking them in with Hell Freezes Over.

W

WDesmet

Audiophyte
Purchasing Sennheiser Momentum

When I bought the Momentum I was already surprised by it's looks.
What a nice design. I bought the ivory version with alcantara on top of the headset.
It was the first time I bought an on-ear headset so I was curious.
The first time I used it I was flabbergasted by it's sound. After all, it was 20 years ago that I bought
a new headset.

+ Clear sound
Good bass
Nice design

- The Price

AVisualGeek

AVisualGeek

Enthusiast
I was in a deep search for some good headphones First I thought, maybe the beats, but then I didn't want to look like one of the poser kids walking around with headphones on that are more about design than they are function. I started to read some reviews, and the Bose sounded like a good option but I know they are known for being over-priced and not always worth it. Then I saw these and the on-ear model and read some reviews. Not only did they claim they sound really nice, but they look exquisite (fancy and not in the trendy kind of way). Reviews (like: http://pocinc.net/blog/product-reviews/review-sennheiser-momentum-on-ear-headphones/ - on-ears model) painted them as being better than your normal pair of headphones and I needed to see for myself. What does “better than normal” sound like? I have to admit, my ears are liking these! They sound super expensive hah. I am pretty happy with the choice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis