Interview with Progressive Rock Band Renaissance - Annie Haslam

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
We sat down with vocalist Annie Haslam at her studio in Pennsylvania to discuss the 40 year reunion tour of British Progressive Band known as Renaissance. Founded in 1969 by Keith Relf and Jim McCarty after the split up of their band, the Yardbirds. Renaissance was set slightly apart from other Progressive bands throughout the 70s, such as Genesis, Yes and ELP, as they emphasized more on symphonic classical music blended into their progressive themes without relying on hard hitting synthesizer or screaming guitars. But make no mistake; they were equally as popular amongst the same fans.

Read our Progressive Rock Band Renaissance Interview

Do you dig their music? Discuss!

Last edited by a moderator:
C

chronos56

Audioholic Intern
This article is a few days to late, their last tour date was April 26th in Ft Lauderdale, I would have loved to see them again. Ahh well....

Jim

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Good to see Annie in the swing of things again. I have a very peripheral connection with her. Let me explain. Back in the mid-70's I picked up a couple of Renaissance albums and fell in love with her voice, if not the bands signature sound. in 1977 she put out her first solo album, Annie in Wonderland (****), produced by ex-Move member and 4 year fiancé, Roy Wood. Being a rabid Move/Roy Wood solo fan I instantly scarfed the album up and fell more madly in love with her voice; a 6 octave range of exquisite beauty. While my "guy" friends derided my obsession with her voice, my fiancé and current wife loved it. So much so, that we chose the Rodgers & Hammerstein classic "If I Loved You" as our wedding song from the album. Obviously our attempts to find a female singer to sing it at our reception were futile. The band we hired was kind enough to let us play the song thru their PA system. Here's a clip from YouTube of her singing the song on a Renaissance re-union tour. Do yourself a favor though and get the album/cd, if you can find it.

Fast forward to the early 90's and I'm on a service call for my then current employer, a telecommunications firm in Southeast Pennsylvania. As I'm troubleshooting a phone in the owners office I notice all these photos/posters of Annie & some with him and I can't help but inquire about his interest in her. He explains that it's his wife; imagine my excitement. I tell him about our wedding and Annie's contribution to it. At this point I'm waiting for him to usher me out the door, with a quick call to my firm to let them know I was persona non grata. Luckily he sensed I was a true fan and not some deranged fan boy and he arranged for me to meet her when I came back to replace his phone. I went back and Annie was very kind to sign my album & Japanese import cd to my wife and I and we chatted about her then current projects (mostly painting & raising her family). Very memorable indeed. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis