Is B&W's MT-60D Mini Theatre a good fit for smaller rooms?

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
B&W updated one of their HT systems to debut the new MT-60D. What do you think?

Discuss "Bowers & Wilkins MT-60D Mini Theatre Preview" here. Read the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Not for $3,000. :D
If the PVD-1 performs comparably to the PV1 that Ilkka measured back in 2007 (which I'd guess given the similar driver complement, power, and dimensions), I'd expect you could probably substitute in something like a SVS SB12-NSD and save a few bucks without sacrificing performance (or aesthetics IMO).

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
While we're on this topic:

The Force is with you, young John, but you are not a Jedi yet.

:D

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I went to Norwegian distributors website which has quite a lot of writings about this sub, not so much about specifications though but this is what's stated about techspecs for B&W PV-1D
* 400W Class D amplification (no more info)
* -3db at 7.5 Hz and 450 Hz
* -6dB at 6.5 Hz and 570 Hz
* 4 different Bass eq presets (no more info)

Bass boost is continually adjusted so it's automatically decreased when SPL goes up, so in practice the -3dB point at 7.5Hz is probably like chasing the gold at the end of the rainbow

B&W is not know to make face specs, just wonder at which SPL's the above stated specs could be, probably only at very very low SPL levels like 35dB :p.....

Last edited:
M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
I went to Norwegian distributors website which has quite a lot of writings about this sub, not so much about specifications though but this is what's stated about techspecs for B&W PV-1D
* 400W Class D amplification (no more info)
* -3db at 7.5 Hz and 450 Hz
* -6dB at 6.5 Hz and 570 Hz
* 4 different Bass eq presets (no more info)

Bass boost is continually adjusted so it's automatically decreased when SPL goes up, so in practice the -3dB point at 7.5Hz is probably like chasing the gold at the end of the rainbow

B&W is not know to make face specs, just wonder at which SPL's the above stated specs could be, probably only at very very low SPL levels like 35dB :p.....
Using a dynamic filter, measuring 1m @ 1watt, that could be the measurement. Instead of a typical limiter that decreases the levels cross spectrum, it's dynamically reducing the low frequency extension. This allows the subwoofer to act right at its maximum operation capabilities without actually being overdriven. This is a nicer way to limit rather than mechanical (yikes) or full spectrum (have to give up low end you'd otherwise have).

When measured at increasing wattage you'd likely see flat to 8 or whatever they said, then quickly see it go to 15, 20, 30, 35...to perhaps some spot where it starts limiting the whole thing (sayin' hey turn me down!).

In studio subwoofers that use this, usually they are used in arrays (Blackhawk Down was mastered using 8 12" dynamically filtered subs), and there are indicator lights used to show if the filter is engaged which says to the studio: turn it down or buy more subwoofers to get the level you want. Hehe.

So:
YES B&W's measurements are misleading but they likely aren't actually false. When someone measures them at a more realistic spl then real performance would show. Also the reviewer should listen to hear if they can detect the dynamic filter.

K

karnakd

Audiophyte
MT 50 sub vs MT 60 sub

How much different will the sub of MT 50 sound from MT 60 in a room size of 10.5ftx11ft???:confused:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis