Martin Logan Motion Vision Soundbar Reviewed

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Check out our review of the new MartinLogan Motion Vision Soundbar. At $1499, it's not the cheapest soundbar on the market, but its packed with some compelling features and performance that all MartinLogan fans can appreciate.

MartinLogan Motion Vision Soundbar Review

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
I hate to see them going into all of this mass market junk.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Likewise, Hocky.

There's no way that a little bar will ever be able to replace some high quality bookshelves and a sub. Just ain't gonna happen.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I hate that people call something "mass market junk" without bothering to listen to it or to evaluate it in an unbiassed manner. Useable bass down to around 50 Hz is as good as a decent bookshelf speaker. And as it has a subwoofer output, that can be added if desired (do people not even read articles before passing judgement on a product?). Certainly, at its price, it ought to be pretty good. And without listening to it myself (as I am not in the market for such a thing), I am willing to give the reviewer the benefit of any doubt and accept the conclusion:

In my opinion, the Vision is a superb soundbar that gets many things right. It can go loud, sounds great, looks modern, and has a surprising amount of bass. It really shines when listening to music, but is no slacker when watching movies either. Still, I kept coming back to its musicality, which was far beyond any other soundbar I have heard. Some other soundbars can produce better surround effects (by "some", I actually just mean Yamaha), but the Vision can surprise you with convincing surround effects from time to time. If you are looking for a soundbar that can turn your non-believer friends into cult-like fanatics about soundbars, the Vision might be your answer. You no longer have to choose between great sound with a dedicated 2.1 system or great looks with a soundbar, the MartinLogan Motion Vision gives you the best of both worlds.
MartinLogan Vision Suggestions & Conclusion | Audioholics

There is certainly no theoretical reason that I know of that would suggest that it is impossible to get good sound from a box that is 5” H x 40” W x 5.9” D and costs $1499. If anyone else knows of such a reason, they should feel free to post it.

BrettMendes

BrettMendes

Audioholic Intern
I've spent a LOT of time with the vision soundbar and can happily say that it isn't "mass market junk" at all. Crystal clear highs and excellent imaging make it one of the best soundbars I've heard. My only gripe with it is that the amplifier isn't powerful enough. I spoke with one of the VPs at MartinLogan back in January (avoid doing this-he was a real prick and it will color your opinion of the company's products) and he said that it was only a 14 watt amp. I found this rather shocking, but also I didn't have a terribly difficult time getting it to clip on tracks with deep bass, namely Florence + The Machine's "Only if For a Night," so I'm inclined to believe it.

S

sear

Audiophyte
Anyone know if the vision will work on wall mode with any of the after market power cords out there like audioquest. from the pictures it does not look there is much room for cables in the on wall mode.thanks in advance

P

PcPopcorn

Audiophyte
I need a center channel speaker the size of one of these soundbars.

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
I am disappointed this seemingly great soundbar does not have neither HDMI inputs or an output. This, of course, limits the sound fields supported.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Likewise, Hocky.

There's no way that a little bar will ever be able to replace some high quality bookshelves and a sub. Just ain't gonna happen.
I get the whole 'bar thing', but $1400 can easily buy you a better 'separate scenario' ......

W

William Sommerwerck

Enthusiast
A sound bar has two basic functions -- to fit where conventional speakers won't fit, or to provide a center channel. So most of the criticism makes no sense.

By the way, the correct term is "switching amplifier", not "digital amplifier". All digital amplifiers are switching, but switching amplifiers can be either.

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
Don't understand why a SB review from 2013 is appearing Oct 8 2019

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis