Pi (Ï€) Speakers Lineup Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Pi Speakers has been around for a long time, but has only gained popularity in niche audiophile communities. Wayne Parham, the founder of Pi, built their first speaker in 1978, a corner horn influenced by the Klipschorn but designed to provide constant directivity, i.e. uniform dispersion over the entire frequency range. They currently boast a catalog consisting of various high sensitivity designs ranging from the one Pi, a (relatively speaking) modest sized bookshelf sporting a conventional soft dome tweeter and an Eminence Alpha 8 woofer, to the massive seven Pi, which features a 15†woofer, 10†horn loaded midrange and a waveguide tweeter. When compared to their natural competition such as the Klipsch Heritage line, Pi speakers appear to offer an interesting value proposition. In short, Pi Speakers is one of those little guys with a lot of potential, and worth a serious look (and a seriously retro look at that).

Discuss "Pi (Ï€) Speakers Lineup Preview" here. Read the article.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I had heard of Pi speakers but didn't give them much attention until I read this article. Very nice looking stuff, I would love to hear some of these. There just isn't a lot of high sensitivity speakers for home audio, I guess its because high sensitivity speakers have to be so big. Some of the documents on the Pi website are interesting, I am going through the Pi speaker whitepaper and the JBL Sound System Design Reference Manual, and learning a lot of stuff from both, very interesting.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I guess its because high sensitivity speakers have to be so big.
As you're probably aware, a lot depends on how deep you want to dig. The JTR Single 8 for example is a fairly sensitive speaker: 95dB w/ 2.83V @ 1m coupled with an 8 ohm nominal load is nothing to sneeze at, presuming the claims are realistic. Of course, the trade off is pretty clear, with a -3dB point of 80Hz.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis