Tip of the Day: Recess Your TV Outlets

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Lots of people are starting to wall-mount their televisions, but with TVs getting thinner and thinner there are some challenges. One of the most common problems I've experienced has been power cord clearance. While HDMI cables can be made quite thin, often it's the power cord that obstinately sticks out of the TV and prevents you from tilting it properly or otherwise utilizing that new "ultra-slim" wall mount you just purchased. For many, the solution is to use a recessed power outlet when you (or your electrician) run the power for your TV.

Discuss "Tip of the Day: Recess Your TV Outlets" here. Read the article.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DoctechX

Audiophyte
I recently purchased a new LED tv with an ultra-slim mount to go above my fireplace. I know not the best place for a tv due to viewing angle, but there is nowhere else to put the tv. The first problem I have is that a full side view of the area behind the tv is visable due to the protruding position of our fireplace relative to the front atrium as you enter the room. For this reason, I elected the thinnest tv and tilt mount I could find. The mount is designed to hold the TV only 17mm away from the wall. The second problem I have is that the VESA mount pattern on my tv will always put one of the mounting arms directly over the top of the outlet cover when the tv is centered. I have installed a recessed outlet, so the cord itself is not an issue. However, just the thickness of the outlet face-plate (cover) is preventing me from pushing the tv as close to the wall as I would like. The final problem I have is that there is 3/4 inch planking over drywall, so moving the outlet box is not so simple, and would be expensive. I would like to find a recessed outlet that has a separate face-plate. The problem there is that the face-plate and outlet our combined rather than separate pieces in all recessed outlets because it's actually the face-plate that mounts the outlet to the box. Anyone have an idea about how to modify a regular outlet, so it will be recessed. Then I could just omit installation of the face-plate. I know, another bad idea, but no one will be messing with it once it is up.

H

Hellcommute

Enthusiast
Bend the ears of the receptacle forward to allow recessed install. Bend them forward slightly and install as normal. Omitting the faceplate is frowned upon, so don't tell any electricians. :)

p.s. I'm an electrician. LOL.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis