Sony XAV-701HD A/V Receiver with Bluetooth Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Times have changed and stereos have gotten more sophisticated, with the leading brands leap-frogging each other in terms of advanced offerings and high quality components. The new Sony XAV-701HD in-dash A/V receiver has a lot to offer today's tech-savvy customer. With all kinds of smartphone connectivity, it makes this unit an easy choice for those looking to upgrade their vehicle's factory system. And if I can give you a piece of advice—don't waste precious years convincing yourself that it's OK to endure a badly-designed stock car audio system. Change it out while you still have ears to hear.

Discuss "Sony XAV-701HD A/V Receiver with Bluetooth Review" here. Read the article.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
It looks pretty interesting. I've been casually looking replacements for my factory unit and my local installer tried to sell me a Sony but I don't recall what model. The only thing that it seemed to be missing was seamless integration with the car's factory steering wheel controls. So far I've only seen that on Alpines.

G

GadgetmanNH

Audiophyte
So far a great stereo

I wanted a good aftermarket stereo for my Lexus RX to add nav, bluetooth and a backup camera. So far this one is working out quite well. There are a few irritating things about this unit, but maybe firmware updates will correct them over time. I used the Metra harness/face plate, Metra steering wheel interface, and generic backup cam. All works well.

Pros:

- Fast and modern interface
- iPhone Pandora, Telnav and music support.
- HD radio built in.
- Great bluetooth handsfree.
- Android support once Mirrorlink is better supported by phones.
- Ability to access music in many ways: CD, HD radio, thumb drive playback, iPhone connection, bluetooth streaming.
- iPhone cable is included and not an additional purchase.
- Resumes last playback source and location.
- Ability to customize guide lines on backup cam screen.
- Home screen wallpaper customization.
- Built in animated backgrounds for source playback screens.

Cons:

- MirrorLink not supported yet (not Sony's fault).
- Sometimes it seems there should be a "return" button to return to a previous screen (usually there is, but in seems like it should not be necessary to return to home and then select back to a source).
- No mute button or function.
- No ability to re-organised source buttons or hide ones not used.
- Add-on nav box is hard to find or discontinued. It would be nice to have if smartphone is lost or not available.
- No ability to change source playback backgrounds other than built in animated screens.
- No calendar (it would be nice to have a calendar that would sync with smartphone and show reminders).

dennisdh

Audiophyte
Sony xev-701hd can't navigate and listen to anything

I just installed the xev-701hd unit plus backup camera. When using a S3 phone as nav in mirror link and drive link you are unable to listen to any source while navigating. I spoke with crutchfield and sony and they both confirmed that is the case. I also tried to find the external nav unit that plugs into the receiver but it has been discontinued and is not available anywhere online. Sony claims telenav works nut only on an iphone.

2qk4u

Audiophyte
I just installed the xev-701hd unit plus backup camera. When using a S3 phone as nav in mirror link and drive link you are unable to listen to any source while navigating. I spoke with crutchfield and sony and they both confirmed that is the case. I also tried to find the external nav unit that plugs into the receiver but it has been discontinued and is not available anywhere online. Sony claims telenav works nut only on an iphone.
do you have the iphone cable bychance and not using it? i really need one and got my radio second hand and that person didnt have the cable. if you are not using it i would like to buy it from you if i can. please let me know. thanks

2qk4u

Audiophyte
I wanted a good aftermarket stereo for my Lexus RX to add nav, bluetooth and a backup camera. So far this one is working out quite well. There are a few irritating things about this unit, but maybe firmware updates will correct them over time. I used the Metra harness/face plate, Metra steering wheel interface, and generic backup cam. All works well.

Pros:

- Fast and modern interface
- iPhone Pandora, Telnav and music support.
- HD radio built in.
- Great bluetooth handsfree.
- Android support once Mirrorlink is better supported by phones.
- Ability to access music in many ways: CD, HD radio, thumb drive playback, iPhone connection, bluetooth streaming.
- iPhone cable is included and not an additional purchase.
- Resumes last playback source and location.
- Ability to customize guide lines on backup cam screen.
- Home screen wallpaper customization.
- Built in animated backgrounds for source playback screens.

Cons:

- MirrorLink not supported yet (not Sony's fault).
- Sometimes it seems there should be a "return" button to return to a previous screen (usually there is, but in seems like it should not be necessary to return to home and then select back to a source).
- No mute button or function.
- No ability to re-organised source buttons or hide ones not used.
- Add-on nav box is hard to find or discontinued. It would be nice to have if smartphone is lost or not available.
- No ability to change source playback backgrounds other than built in animated screens.
- No calendar (it would be nice to have a calendar that would sync with smartphone and show reminders).

do you have the iphone cable bychance and not using it? i really need one and got my radio second hand and that person didnt have the cable. if you are not using it i would like to buy it from you if i can. please let me know. thanks

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis