G-RAID with Thunderbolt Drive Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Not only am I the face of the Audioholics product review videos, I also have the job of editing them together. That’s sort of my niche: editing video. And now that everything shoots in HD and the smallest video file can take up over a gig—sorry, gigabyte—hard drive space is a commodity that is both increasingly cheap yet even more increasingly in demand. I recently switched away from a Mac Pro tower to a faster iMac, but with that came a loss of four hard drive slots. I wanted (needed, really) an external drive solution that could replace the terabytes of internal storage I was using. But I also needed a drive (or drives) that didn’t compromise speed. Basically, I wanted a Thunderbolt drive. G|RAID's solution intrigued me, so I decided to try it out.

Discuss "G-RAID with Thunderbolt Drive Review" here. Read the article.

C

copperfox

Audioholic Intern
Why is the internal HDD listed twice in the chart with the same interface?

Also, people should be aware that these throughput numbers are the best you'll ever get; that is, sequential read and write with a relatively large file when the drives are empty. Try filling the disks 75% full and then do a random read or write with a bunch of 1MB files - the numbers will drop drastically. Part of the reason is because as the drive fills up, the heads move toward the inner tracks of the platters where distance covered for the same angular velocity is lower, thus transfer rates drop.

Thunderbolt is a fast interface, but I still prefer a NAS device because I can access it from other computers and devices on my network.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Better late than never. :D

J/K, Clint. You must have been really bored this morning, though. :p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis