Steinway-Lingdorf Model D Speakers CEDIA Video

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
When you're at events like CEDIA, lots of things catch your eye because of the sound... or because someone grabs your sleeve, or your ear... or your... something or other. And sometimes you see something that just makes you stop. Well that happened to me just outside of the Steinway Lingdorf room at the 2012 CEDIA Expo. We saw the red Model D speakers (aptly named after the piano). Full range dipoles, these $150,000/pair speakers just make you want to play them. Around the back you can see the speakers are a completely open baffle design. To me, even if these weren't' turned on I'd still want to stand near them and just sigh...

Discuss "Steinway-Lingdorf Model D Speakers CEDIA Video" here. Read the article.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
For $150k, you'd think they could build an enclosure with 6 sides :p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Reminds me of the Linkwitz Orion or old Audio Artistry speakers designed by Linkwitz, except 100x prettier. :D

Are these Steinway active and require 8 Channels of amps like the Orion?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For $150,000 I can pay off my mortgage on my lake house and be debt free and still have a little left over.
Pocket change for a billionaire. :D

You don't think billionaires bother with measly $20K speakers, do you? :D

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Oh, I just hate built-in integrated amps. :D

So if I'm a billionaire and I wanted to use my $200K amps, I wouldn't be able to do that. :mad:

Cross these speakers off my list immediately. :D
You should buy them, get angry about the integrated amps, and have me remove them for you. I assure you, I will have them play music they find distasteful and commit other tortures (why yes, you do have to play the audio for Ed Wood again) so as to properly punish them for you.

Oh. I may need some money to build a home theater... err... torture dungeon for them.

R

ridikas

Banned
I guarantee you all, that these speakers measure like a pile of garbage :)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
My wife and I sat down for a demo of this system at CEDIA and had to walk out after about 1 minute because they were blasting it beyond ear bleeding levels and it was way too bright and harsh. The rep bragged about how low the noise floor of the system was yet I was wondering why if that was the case they had to play it so loud?

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
After a few minutes at 115db, you won't hear any "hiss" from the speakers... any speakers.

Of course now all speakers will have a "ringing sound" even when turned off.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
A dipole speaker using cone drivers has to be active. There is no possible passive solution that will be any good at all. So if it is a dipole, then it is or should be an active speaker. Anyone who tells you anything different is talking through his you know what.
Is there somewhere that explains why that is? I am curious.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Is there somewhere that explains why that is? I am curious.
I'm busy right now finalizing my just built HTCP.

Your best bet is to go to the Linkwitz Lab site. If you dig around there you will find a lot of good info.

The issue has to do with the complex addition and subtractions of front and rear waves. In addition the acoustic roll off are much more complex than for monopoles.

There is just no way to do anything credible with passive cross overs in this situation.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis