Niles Audio Introduces Five New Amplifiers

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Niles Audio recently announced the launch of five new integration amplifiers that they claim provide the “ideal solution for every application.†While that may be going a bit too far, the SI-1230 Series 2 and SI-1650 multi-room amplifiers and the SI-250, SI-200, and SI-2150 2-channel amplifiers are sure to fit the bill for many installations.

Discuss "Niles Audio Introduces Five New Amplifiers" here. Read the article.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
2 yr warranty on amps. No specs like SNR, Crosstalk, THD, etc.

Outside of home integration for folks who know absolutely nothing about audio, who would buy these amps?

If I need a 12ch amp, I would naturally get the ATI AT6012 amp.

Oh, and if you need a speaker selector for your 12ch amp for different rooms, forget the Niles speaker selector because they have these sucky cheap a$$ connectors; instead get the Adcom speaker selector which has real gold plated banana connectors.

I can't believe the amps have no specs. SNR is probably -40dB, Crosstalk probably -30, rated power THD probably 1% @ 1kHz x 1ch driven, FR probably 20Hz-20kHz +/- 3dB. :D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I can't believe the amps have no specs. SNR is probably -40dB, Crosstalk probably -30, rated power THD probably 1% @ 1kHz x 1ch driven, FR probably 20Hz-20kHz +/- 3dB. :D
Sorry ADTG, but I have to take exception to your post!
Niles has historically made good rigorous amps with true high current design. I agree that the lack of specs is off-putting, but since some of these new amps are not yet listed on their site, the measurements may not have been made when the press release came out.

Here is a Niles amp spec from Home Theater HiFi:
Niles SI-250 Amplifier; Two channel amplifier; Rated output 125 watts/ch rms into 8 Ohms, 185 watts/ch rms into 4 Ohms, 250 watts/ch rms into 2 Ohms, both channels driven; Bridgeable to 395 watts rms into 8 Ohms; Frequency response 20 Hz - 20 kHz +/- 0.1 dB; THD<0.1%; Turn on modes: audio sense, constant, trigger; Two grounded AC outlets, one switched, one un-switched, 750 watts total; Two RCA jack unbalanced inputs; Two RCA jack cascade outputs (for daisy chaining to other amplifiers); 12 volt trigger output; 30 volt trigger input; Ground lift switch; Two pairs of 3-way binding posts; Size 5"H x 17"W x 15"D; Weight 25 pounds; black aluminum sheet metal chassis; $729; Niles Audio Corporation; P.O. Box 160818, Miami, Florida 33116-0818; Phone 305-238-4373; Fax 305-238-0185.
Product Review -

No spec on cross talk or SNR, but not many sub $1000 amps spec RMS power at 2 ohms, both channels driven!
I have a lowly SI-275 which is rated stable down to 2.67ohms and has always run quiet and cool. No hum, no pops, and no hiss. It has a toroidal transformer and 40,000uF of capacitance. Among inexpensive 75WPC amps it is very robust!
Niles is not a crap company unless they recently became one!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I agree that the lack of specs is off-putting, but since some of these new amps are not yet listed on their site, the measurements may not have been made when the press release came out.
I was put off by the lack of specs on their website....and the 2 yr warranty.....and I hate their speaker selector. :D

Other than that, Niles is probably pretty good.

You don't see many guys buying Niles amps though.

I don't see any 3rd party measurements of any of their amps either.

I was going to say their amps look great aesthetically. I like it. I was just disappointed with the lack of specs. Probably premature on my part....probably over did it..... again... :D

N

NorCalJason

Audiophyte
These look a lot like...

After doing a bit of research on 2ch amps, a lot of these amps appear to be the same basic design. For example:

Sonance 275
ATI AT602
Niles SI 250

All are 2ch, within a few watts at both 8ohm and 4ohm ratings. Each manufacturer rates them both channels driven, and the THD seems to fluctuate with the rating (less THD on the 60 watt model, slightly more on the 75 watt model).

Is it safe to assume they're all made by ATI?

I think so...

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
After doing a bit of research on 2ch amps, a lot of these amps appear to be the same basic design. For example:

Sonance 275
ATI AT602
Niles SI 250

All are 2ch, within a few watts at both 8ohm and 4ohm ratings. Each manufacturer rates them both channels driven, and the THD seems to fluctuate with the rating (less THD on the 60 watt model, slightly more on the 75 watt model).

Is it safe to assume they're all made by ATI?

I think so...
I could probably find 10 other amps that meet this criteria. Is it safe to assume those would be made by ATI too?

N

NorCalJason

Audiophyte
I could probably find 10 other amps that meet this criteria. Is it safe to assume those would be made by ATI too?
Not sure if this is sarcasm.

Take a look at these:

Sonance 275

Power Output
Both CHannels Driven75W RMS per channel @ 8 ohms, 125W RMS per channel @ 4 ohms, 135W per channel @ 2.7 ohmsPower Output (Bridged)(20Hz - 20kHz): 250 watts RMS @ 8 ohms, (1kHz): 270 watts RMS @ 8 ohmsTotal Harmonic Distortion<0.05% (20Hz-20kHz @ 8 ohms), <0.08% (20Hz-20kHz @ 4 ohms), <0.15% (20Hz-20kHz @ 2.7 ohms)Signal-To-Noise Ratio105dB below rated output ("A" weighted)

vs

Niles SI 275

POWER
Fully Discrete, High-Current Stereo Amplifier
2 X 75 Watts RMS/Channel Into 8 Ohms, .05% THD (Both Channels Driven)
2 X 120 Watts RMS/Channel Into 4 Ohms, .08% THD (Both Channels Driven)
Stable Into Low-Impedance Loads (2.66 Ohms)

vs

ATI AT602

2 X 60 Watts RMS/Channel Into 8 Ohms, less than .03%THD (Both Channels Driven)
2 X 90 Watts RMS/Channel Into 4 Ohms, Less than .05% THD (Both Channels Driven)

They're all nearly identical in design, looks, and weight.

AND... all three manufacturers carry the same lines. A approx 75 watt amp above, A approx 120 watt 2 channel amp (sonamp 2120 / ATI AT 1202 / Niles SI-2125), AND a 12 channel "multi zone" amp... All rated the same, consistently, above.

Knowing that OEM is a major part of ATI's business, and how similar all three of these amps are, I think it's reasonable to presume it's all ATI manufactured to the requirements of Niles/Sonance/etc.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure if this is sarcasm.

Take a look at these:

Sonance 275

Power Output
Both CHannels Driven75W RMS per channel @ 8 ohms, 125W RMS per channel @ 4 ohms, 135W per channel @ 2.7 ohmsPower Output (Bridged)(20Hz - 20kHz): 250 watts RMS @ 8 ohms, (1kHz): 270 watts RMS @ 8 ohmsTotal Harmonic Distortion<0.05% (20Hz-20kHz @ 8 ohms), <0.08% (20Hz-20kHz @ 4 ohms), <0.15% (20Hz-20kHz @ 2.7 ohms)Signal-To-Noise Ratio105dB below rated output ("A" weighted)

vs

Niles SI 275

POWER
Fully Discrete, High-Current Stereo Amplifier
2 X 75 Watts RMS/Channel Into 8 Ohms, .05% THD (Both Channels Driven)
2 X 120 Watts RMS/Channel Into 4 Ohms, .08% THD (Both Channels Driven)
Stable Into Low-Impedance Loads (2.66 Ohms)

vs

ATI AT602

2 X 60 Watts RMS/Channel Into 8 Ohms, less than .03%THD (Both Channels Driven)
2 X 90 Watts RMS/Channel Into 4 Ohms, Less than .05% THD (Both Channels Driven)

They're all nearly identical in design, looks, and weight.

AND... all three manufacturers carry the same lines. A approx 75 watt amp above, A approx 120 watt 2 channel amp (sonamp 2120 / ATI AT 1202 / Niles SI-2125), AND a 12 channel "multi zone" amp... All rated the same, consistently, above.

Knowing that OEM is a major part of ATI's business, and how similar all three of these amps are, I think it's reasonable to presume it's all ATI manufactured to the requirements of Niles/Sonance/etc.
You have a good point.

ATI does make A LOT of OEM amps for so many companies, most cannot be disclosed legally.

If ATI makes Amps for Niles, I'm going to look really bad b/c of my first post. :eek:

What is the price difference between these amps? A couple of hundred bucks or a thousand?

However, ATI has fabulous specs on their amps, like SNR of -120dB, crosstalk -100dB, rated RMS power @ 0.03% THD 20Hz-20kHz.

http://www.ati-amp.com/AT6012.php

We don't see these same amazing specs with Niles or Sonance, do we?

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You have a good point.

ATI does make A LOT of OEM amps for so many companies, most cannot be disclosed legally.

If ATI makes Amps for Niles, I'm going to look really bad b/c of my first post. :eek:

What is the price difference between these amps? A couple of hundred bucks or a thousand?

However, ATI has fabulous specs on their amps, like SNR of -120dB, crosstalk -100dB, rated RMS power @ 0.03% THD 20Hz-20kHz.

Just curious, is this also the same ATI that makes motherboards, vid cards, etc?

N

NorCalJason

Audiophyte
You have a good point.

ATI publishes more detailed specs than Niles or Sonance do. I do not see any numbers for crosstalk listed.

The price difference is negligible.

Sonance 275 lists for $640
Niles 275 lists for $599
ATI AT602 list for $645

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ATI publishes more detailed specs than Niles or Sonance do. I do not see any numbers for crosstalk listed.

The price difference is negligible.

Sonance 275 lists for $640
Niles 275 lists for $599
ATI AT602 list for $645
Wow. I didn't realize the prices are almost identical. :eek:

Maybe they are the same.....maybe.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, I'll admit I always respected for Niles until I had 2 bad experiences with their speaker selectors. :D

Their amps look great aesthetically, and the review of the Niles outdoor speakers was great on HTM.

But those sorry little wimpy girly sissy connectors on their speaker selectors! :D

N

NorCalJason

Audiophyte
Wow. I didn't realize the prices are almost identical. :eek:

Maybe they are the same.....maybe.
Just for the sake of clarity, i'm not saying they're the exact same amp.

There are minor differences:

The Sonance Amp addes a BBE modual and "auto on"
The Niles has "auto on" and a triggered on.
The ATI only has a triggered on.

It's likely ATI makes the amps for Sonance and Niles. Although that doesnt' mean ALL internal components are the same, even if the design clearly is.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just for the sake of clarity, i'm not saying they're the exact same amp.

There are minor differences:

The Sonance Amp addes a BBE modual and "auto on"
The Niles has "auto on" and a triggered on.
The ATI only has a triggered on.

It's likely ATI makes the amps for Sonance and Niles. Although that doesnt' mean ALL internal components are the same, even if the design clearly is.
Say............you don't work for ATI, do you? ;) :D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
As a previous owner, and soon to be again, a Niles SI-275 I can attest to it robust build and advantages as a no frills entry level power amplifier. It has an pleasent simplicity to it. It's a 20 pound amplifier with a hefty double wound toroidal transformer and triple Darlington output stage it's very responsive to wide, sharp phase angles. It handily meets the requirements for dynamic power needs in small to mid level system. It's just an incredibly flexible amplifier.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
As a previous owner, and soon to be again, a Niles SI-275 I can attest to it robust build and advantages as a no frills entry level power amplifier. It has an pleasent simplicity to it. It's a 20 pound amplifier with a hefty double wound toroidal transformer and triple Darlington output stage it's very responsive to wide, sharp phase angles. It handily meets the requirements for dynamic power needs in small to mid level system. It's just an incredibly flexible amplifier.
Ha ha, it took me over 2 years to get another one.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis