Oppo BDP-103 & BDP-105 Blu-ray Q&A Interview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Anytime Oppo releases a new product it creates quite a buzz on the internet almost akin to Apple or Samsung releasing a new smartphone product. One difference however is that when Oppo releases new products, the changes are typically quite substantial rather than incremental. The BDP-93/95 Blu-ray players were prime examples of this and their newest BDP-103 and BDP-105 players seem to be following in their distinguished predecessors footsteps. We sat down with Jason Liao of Oppo Digital to explore these new players and dig deeper into what makes them a truly next generation Blu-ray platform. If you've got a question about these new players, this article likely will address them. If not, submit the questions in our support forum thread for this article and it will surely be answered by someone at Oppo.

Discuss "Oppo BLu-ray Q&A" here. Read the article.

J

jandrewyang

Audiophyte
Incremental vs substantial

Like many I keep a close on what Oppo does, and they've been the recipient of well deserved accolade over the years. It just seems a stretch to say that this represents a substantial improvement in the product as compared to the smartphone industry. Within it's own market segment, it is without a doubt a substantial improvement but to compare against a product segment that is increasing performance metrics annually by factors of 2x is a bit fallacious.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Interesting; I didn't catch that before that they can also both be used as an external video upscaler as well. I am going to have to think a little harder on this one now, as I am leaning toward the 105 instead. Looks like the holidays are going to be expensive...

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Like many I keep a close on what Oppo does, and they've been the recipient of well deserved accolade over the years. It just seems a stretch to say that this represents a substantial improvement in the product as compared to the smartphone industry. Within it's own market segment, it is without a doubt a substantial improvement but to compare against a product segment that is increasing performance metrics annually by factors of 2x is a bit fallacious.
I don't know, nothing in the iPhone 5 has me clamoring to upgrade my iPhone 4 nor am I really seeing a huge benefit going from an iPad2 to iPad3. It depends on what the user is looking for. These new Oppo's appear to offer a much faster user interface for streaming, better quality for streaming, 2k & 4k up conversion, upgrade performance for analog audio (SACD lovers rejoice) and more HDMI functionality, ability to use the player as a high end DAC and/or video up converter. The only downside is lack of analog video but that's happening with ALL blu-ray players after 2013 b/c of AACS mandate.

Last edited:
E

ebunton

Audiophyte
Good interview.

What high resolution PCM does the player convert SACDs to?
Does "high resolution" mean 88.2 kHz at 24 bits like the previous player or 176.4 or more?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So it looks like the 105 will gain me more features but most likely not sound quality (not surprised). There will be a theoretical gain in PQ as well except my Elite Pro-111 can't take advantage of the 4K upscaling anyway. I will find out if the dealer would do a fair trade-in, and go from there.:D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
So it looks like the 105 will gain me more features but most likely not sound quality (not surprised). There will be a theoretical gain in PQ as well except my Elite Pro-111 can't take advantage of the 4K upscaling anyway. I will find out if the dealer would do a fair trade-in, and go from there.:D
No fan, redesigned VI filters, I think you can expect higher sound quality compared to the BDP95 and the new BDP103 via analog outputs despite the actual D/A converters are the same for the 95/105.

J

jandrewyang

Audiophyte
Uncharacteristic

I don't know, nothing in the iPhone 5 has me clamoring to upgrade my iPhone 4 nor am I really seeing a huge benefit going from an iPad2 to iPad3. It depends on what the user is looking for. These new Oppo's appear to offer a much faster user interface for streaming, better quality for streaming, 2k & 4k up conversion, upgrade performance for analog audio (SACD lovers rejoice) and more HDMI functionality, ability to use the player as a high end DAC and/or video up converter. The only downside is lack of analog video but that's happening with ALL blu-ray players after 2013 b/c of AACS mandate.
Can I preface this by writing, I am a long time reader and big fan of your work, so this is written with much respect.

It seems highly uncharacteristic, given the highly objective analysis you have provided on the site over the years, to read a statement which effectively distills the argument for qualification of relative advancement down to subjectivity. Arguing the perceived benefits of generational releases of the iPhone or iPad, in this instance, versus objective improvements seem at odds with your typical level of analysis. Especially when one considers that in the core subject matter of this site, that is precisely the type of thing you rail against.

Despite all the relative advances of the new Oppo models, in absolute terms they would most certainly have to be qualified as incremental. 4K upconversion of 2K material might be the lone feature that could objectively be considered substantial. Even then it would be arguable given the inherent resolution of the source material hasn't changed.

It's a nit that I picked. I acknowledge (and hopefully you can agree), as a former reviewer from another site, that the entire industry is largely filled with incremental improvements at the margins, with exceeding focus placed on products that, for the majority of the public, have well passed the point of diminishing returns.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Can I preface this by writing, I am a long time reader and big fan of your work, so this is written with much respect.

It seems highly uncharacteristic, given the highly objective analysis you have provided on the site over the years, to read a statement which effectively distills the argument for qualification of relative advancement down to subjectivity. Arguing the perceived benefits of generational releases of the iPhone or iPad, in this instance, versus objective improvements seem at odds with your typical level of analysis. Especially when one considers that in the core subject matter of this site, that is precisely the type of thing you rail against.

Despite all the relative advances of the new Oppo models, in absolute terms they would most certainly have to be qualified as incremental. 4K upconversion of 2K material might be the lone feature that could objectively be considered substantial. Even then it would be arguable given the inherent resolution of the source material hasn't changed.

It's a nit that I picked. I acknowledge (and hopefully you can agree), as a former reviewer from another site, that the entire industry is largely filled with incremental improvements at the margins, with exceeding focus placed on products that, for the majority of the public, have well passed the point of diminishing returns.
Wow I didn't think injecting a little smartphone analogy would cause so much controversy. It's a good thing I didn't target just Apple as I'm sure the Apple fan boys would be boycotting this site right now :)

Of course I reserve final judgment until I can bench test one of these new players and the old 93/95 players are pretty darn good as you've seen in our reports.

I am looking forward to some of the feature/performance upgrades however:
  • simultaneous HDMI with high res audio is a big plus for me
  • better analog performance is always a good thing (even if subtle) especially for SACD
  • better and quicker user interface of streaming services is a must - Netflix and youtube are almost unusable on the current Oppo players b/c the interface is too sluggish
  • 1080p multi channel audio for Netflix is more than an incremental upgrade for heavy Netflix users

but thank you for your feedback. I'm actually glad people are finally posting on this thread as I figured this detailed interview filled with new product details would draw more response. :confused:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'm actually glad people are finally posting on this thread as I figured this detailed interview filled with new product details would draw more response. :confused:
I think it is because of what you said...the article does answer quite a few questions already :)

Peng mentioned there may be a difference video wise? I'm not sure I saw something that would indicate that, so are they different video wise?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
No fan, redesigned VI filters, I think you can expect higher sound quality compared to the BDP95 and the new BDP103 via analog outputs despite the actual D/A converters are the same for the 95/105.
You are right about the no fan thing, though 99.999999% of the time I could not hear it from where I normally sit, 13 ft away or even much closer. Still no fan is the ultimate that gets it to 100%. I am still trying to figure out how to make good use of the DAC standalone function. Most of the time now I listened to streamed from server HD FLAC/Wave files using the analog outputs to my separate pre/amp system so it kind of like using it as a DAC already. Anyway I will soon be emailing my dealer about a trade in.:D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
You are right about the no fan thing, though 99.999999% of the time I could not hear it from where I normally sit, 13 ft away or even much closer. Still no fan is the ultimate that gets it to 100%. I am still trying to figure out how to make good use of the DAC standalone function. Most of the time now I listened to streamed from server HD FLAC/Wave files using the analog outputs to my separate pre/amp system so it kind of like using it as a DAC already. Anyway I will soon be emailing my dealer about a trade in.:D
Agreed. I'd like to learn more about ripping SACD files off the net and streaming them from the computer to the DAC on this player. This is new territory for me so if anyone is doing this, I'd like to hear about a good procedure.

R

rmliii

Audiophyte
Android Remote App -- Where?

Checked out Google Play store for OPPO remote Android app. Couldn't find anything under OPPO, OPPODigital, BDP-93, -95, .... Anyone find it?

J

jabraham50

Audiophyte
None of these players can decode and play DXD/DFF files. These are master audio files. That is such a pity. One is forced to downconvert to 96/24.
OPPO service says the hardware is capable, the SDK is not. It would be great to have this done!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Agreed. I'd like to learn more about ripping SACD files off the net and streaming them from the computer to the DAC on this player. This is new territory for me so if anyone is doing this, I'd like to hear about a good procedure.
Me too, I have been purchasing my HD FLAC albums from HDtrack.com but I feel they are over priced, considering they are just downloads, yet they charged pretty much the same as for the discs.

I really wish there are software that can rip my SACD and DVDA, or even CDs legitimately to Flac or wave formats for streaming. I think Oppo is smart not to invest in the build like a tank (such as my Denon universal's) kind of transport mechanism but on things that contribute to better sound quality instead.

R

rmliii

Audiophyte
Android OPPO Remote

Thanks for the Android OPPO Remote link. Interestingly, if you bring up Google Play on an Android 4.1 device and use its search function you still won't find the app. Have to use a web browser. While the is found on Play and app installs without problem on my Droid X phone (calls itself "Remote Control"), the Play site says the app is incompatible with the Google Nexus N7 and presumably all other Jellybean/Android 4.1 devices.

Last edited:
JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
I really wish there are software that can rip my SACD and DVDA, or even CDs legitimately to Flac or wave formats for streaming. I think Oppo is smart not to invest in the build like a tank (such as my Denon universal's) kind of transport mechanism but on things that contribute to better sound quality instead.
vortex box (free software) will automatically rip CD's to flac and mp3

The only thing that I have seen for SACD involves a PS3 with older firmware :confused:

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
vortex box (free software) will automatically rip CD's to flac and mp3

The only thing that I have seen for SACD involves a PS3 with older firmware :confused:
The old original version PS3 could play SACD but can't rip it from the disc. I am interested in a SACD ripper to rip my legit SACD/DVDA discs to my hard drive/server for streaming. It does not have to be free, as I don't mind paying a reasonable price for the convenience of streaming.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The old original version PS3 could play SACD but can't rip it from the disc. I am interested in a SACD ripper to rip my legit SACD/DVDA discs to my hard drive/server for streaming. It does not have to be free, as I don't mind paying a reasonable price for the convenience of streaming.
AFAIK, what may have been happening was people were ripping the CD layer to hard disc, NOT the SACD tracks.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis