Is Apple About to Change CableTV and Television Forever?

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Apple has been rumored to be developing a television for years now - and we're all waiting to see if that actually becomes a reality, or if it becomes an idea that is soundly shot down by the combined powers of the content and service providers. The excitement elevated when the Steve Jobs biography quoted Apple's then-CEO as saying he had finally "cracked the code" of doing an Apple television. What would an Apple television look like? Certainly it would be far beyond the current AppleTV box, and most definitely it would be incredibly elegant and user-friendly and facilitate streaming media and AirPlay video & audio support. It might incorporate Siri voice recognition and control, or it may feature 4K resolution. We don't know. It would certainly be advanced...

Discuss "Is Apple About to Change CableTV and Television Forever?" here. Read the article.

S

Skylinestar

Enthusiast
Adding internet features and fancy UI into the TV is not gonna make it in developing countries. People have slow internet speed (~64kbps) & limited data (1GB).

What we need is pure awesomeness in video quality, super big screen and reasonably low price to boot...perhaps something like a 90" panel that beats the Kuro and zero reflection issue.:p

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Also notable, Google bought Motorola, who makes many of the set-top boxes used by CableTV companies across the country (Pioneer and Scientific Atlanta are also other popular OEMs).
Few clarifications:
Google didn't buy whole Motorola, Just the Motorola Mobility and word on the street google is looking to unload the cable box division

Google looking to sell Motorola's cable box unit? | The Verge

EXCLUSIVE: Google looking to unload Motorola's TV set-top box business - NYPOST.com

I don't think that Apple will have more success with cable - no more than Google or Boxee did... Even TiVo is hanging in there biz only on one reason - they own several DVR patents, which Apple might to have to license from them

Imo this is too much ado about nothing - Apple TV is still a "hobby" device and once in a while Apple is checking if the anything changed - I promise you - it didn't. Big Cable love their own cable boxes and will stay the same way

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think it has already sort of been shown that the majority of people aren't interested in this sort of thing. Companies have been trying to bridge the gap between computer and TV for years and it hasn't happened, though I DO think we are close to that point.

Apple is opening a new facility right up the street from my work. Our best guess is, it will be the new home of this product.

A

AppleJunky

Audiophyte
A actual apple television set is unlikely to come out anytime soon but a revised apple Tv is most likely to come out when Apple holds there september event.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Why would anyone buy a TV from Apple? Seriously.

I've used AppleTV and it was proprietary Apple. For it to work, I had to have a PC on with hard drives properly networked, and the videos had to be Apple friendly, and it didn't have nearly as much functionality as a WDTV or a billion other products out there.

Still, it had a simple remote and a pretty interface (of course).

Now, you take PC tech and drop it into a TV, where it can't be upgraded, increases the cost of the TV, and does... what?

What is it that a TV by Apple would do that can't be done by developing a truly inspired AppleTV itself? A HTPC which can have CableCard, or inputs for other cable/sat feeds? And can properly playback MKV and other video files from anywhere on the network (not just in AppleLand).

I hated my AppleTV, it got no use. 400+ Apple friendly movies, painstakenly converted, and it was a pain to use.

Two Dune players, with 800+ native BD and DVD movies and thousands of TV episodes and it gets used every single day by my family.

Apple does not always get it.

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
Why would anyone buy a TV from Apple? Seriously.
If it's more attractive, provides better functionality than other TVs, and the cost premium is not too high, then lots of people will buy it. I may be one of them, should my current TV die.

I've used AppleTV and it was proprietary Apple. For it to work, I had to have a PC on with hard drives properly networked, and the videos had to be Apple friendly, and it didn't have nearly as much functionality as a WDTV or a billion other products out there.
If one doesn't already use iTunes to organize one's 2-channel music*, then an AppleTV is obviously an ill-considered choice. The fault there lies with the person who did not adequately explore the product's suitability to task before committing, not the product itself.

If one does use iTunes already to organize one's music, then it is the best product on the market of its type. If one has a very new Mac, then one can even mirror the Mac's screen on one's TV.

*Sadly, iTunes cannot store SACD or DVD-A discrete multichannel. One still needs an old-fashioned disk player for them.

What is it that a TV by Apple would do that can't be done by developing a truly inspired AppleTV itself?
We'll find out. Doubtless people once said the same thing, substituting "cellphone" for "TV". Many of those people now rely on their iPhones every day!

Or, Apple will miss the mark. Kind of stupid to speculate, given that few people (if anyone) outside of One Infinite Loop has any real idea what the eventual product will be.

A HTPC which can have CableCard, or inputs for other cable/sat feeds? And can properly playback MKV and other video files from anywhere on the network (not just in AppleLand).
And requires more time troubleshooting than it will actually be used. And if an SO or a visitor accidentally touches the controls, all bets are off!

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
A actual apple television set is unlikely to come out anytime soon but a revised apple Tv is most likely to come out when Apple holds there september event.
Apple very recently released the ATV3, though. So while they might do another software update, new hardware for Apple's "hobby" would be an unusual move for them at this point.

O

olc

Enthusiast
Apple has been rumored to be developing a television for years now - and we're all waiting to see if that actually becomes a reality, or if it becomes an idea that is soundly shot down by the combined powers of the content and service providers. The excitement elevated when the Steve Jobs biography quoted Apple's then-CEO as saying he had finally "cracked the code" of doing an Apple television. What would an Apple television look like? Certainly it would be far beyond the current AppleTV box, and most definitely it would be incredibly elegant and user-friendly and facilitate streaming media and AirPlay video & audio support. It might incorporate Siri voice recognition and control, or it may feature 4K resolution. We don't know. It would certainly be advanced...

Discuss "Is Apple About to Change CableTV and Television Forever?" here. Read the article.

I hope his cracking the code involved how to make a TV that isn't rectangular with rounded corners. That would be stealing someone else's creativity.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If it's more attractive, provides better functionality than other TVs, and the cost premium is not too high, then lots of people will buy it. I may be one of them, should my current TV die.
That's it right there.

If it is more attractive than what? There are hundreds of current choices out there, and we've gone through the full list of different TV designs on the market. For Apple to develop a TV which truly is different in appearance... I'm not sure how they would do so. Televisions aren't exactly a new product just come along in the last dozen or so years.

Better functionality certainly is a no brainer, but then gets stupid. TV functionality (Smart TVs) are certainly being touted by Samsung, Sony, and Sharp. For the most part, they suck. This is where Apple can excel, but the problem is that a good AppleTV already does this. A better product (list one here) can do it better. In five years, today's AppleTV will be a couple of generations old at least. Do you really want old 'smart tv' in your TV? If they offer a spot to put the AppleTV directly into or on the back, or a smart network connection to an externally upgraded AppleTV, then it's still just a new TV you're buying... not really any smarter, except it likely will have some proprietary integration by Apple.

Finally, the cost premium is one Apple is known to not follow. They have high prices. The thing is, they usually have a significantly better product in some aspect. I'm struggling to see how a TV itself would offer this upgrade aspect.

That said, I certainly have more than a few ideas myself...

A wireless HDMI box which can connect to the output of any HDMI enabled source and can be paired up with any TV in your home, free of wires! This is wireless HDMI matrixing. It means that controls from your remote are sent to the source that is currently selected automatically. It means that the name of the source you select is automatically populated to your display. It means when you hit 'source select' on your remote, you get a list of ALL the sources in your home which are available, perhaps with a list of whether or not they are in use by other rooms.

Add that capability across the home and into surround and stereo areas. So, a box which can grab audio and send it to speakers without extra wiring. Plug it in, pair up your sources, and you are done.

I've seen almost zero movement from manufacturers down that path, and it still doesn't require me to replace my cheap LCDs or my nice plasma to get most of that functionality if it was done properly.

It would really suprise me if Apple revolutionizes the TV industry, but I would still be thrilled to see it happen. I do like their inginuity.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Imo this is too much ado about nothing - Apple TV is still a "hobby" device and once in a while Apple is checking if the anything changed - I promise you - it didn't. Big Cable love their own cable boxes and will stay the same way
Surprise, Surprise: ;):cool:
Apple reportedly won't release new TV product this year due to content negotiations | The Verge

As I said - it's probed the water, the water decided not to reverse the stream. All things stay exactly same

Unless Apple decides to make Disney content exclusive to apple devices (yea, right .. :rolleyes:) or purchases even more content producers and makes it exclusive I doubt there will be any success for any serious video over internet.

Netflix got into it a) Early b) Thru the backdoor (dvd shipping) and c) Now facing very tough uphill battle from same big content

What could change this status ? I don't know - maybe only Gov could change this marriage of of Cable/Sat and Big Content. For now bundles are here to stay - I guess they are way too profitable for everyone.

Edit:
Also here:
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Despite-Hype-New-Apple-TV-Product-a-No-Show-121053

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis