Power Sound Audio XV30 Subwoofer Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Using the most rigorous measurement techniques, you can feel confident that the Power Sound Audio XV30 performance claims are on the level. Sporting two 15" woofers in a box big enough to use as a dog house and heavy enough to give you and two of your best friends hernias, you can rest assured that the 21Hz ground plane measurement will translate to something well into subsonic range in room. At $1249, that's an amazing value. Now to convince the spouse.

Discuss "Power Sound Audio XV30 Subwoofer Preview" here. Read the article.

bread29

bread29

Junior Audioholic
This one is a MUST review! I didn't think I was in the market for another sub, but now I just might....:D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Hmm, I don't know about XV30, but XV15 sounds like it's aimed at PB12-PLUS at almost half of the price - hmmm , like bread29 said - I just might be interested in the this budget beast (my feelings tell me the bang for the buck here is going to be huge!)

spyboy

spyboy

Junior Audioholic
I wouldn't hesitate to buy the XV30 based on the people at Power Sound Audio and this preview. Two XV30's can move so much air you will be really surprised. :)

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Sounds like this is going to be one beast to beat!!! Look forward to the review!!!

R

raynist

Junior Audioholic
Can't wait to get a XV30!

I have 2 SVS PB12+/2's in the same room. Will be interesting to see how the XV30 compares to these!

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I'm really curious how the XV30 compares with the old PB12 Plus/2 both in output and accuracy. The Plus/2 has a lot more wattage (900w "continuous" and if I remember correctly double that in the peaks) but the XV30 has more square inches. It does look like the Plus/2 digs a bit deeper though.

N

nickboros

Audioholic
A company itself that puts long term output compression right on the website... Wow! Hopefully this will catch on, at least with internet direct subs. I doubt that we would see this with subs that are more well known to the masses, some of which sell at big box stores because the graphs would just look embarrassing for the price.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Well the design is certainly reminiscent of the old dual driver SVS subs, isn't it? :cool:

Never a bad thing to have another great subwoofer option. My only concern is that Power Sound Audio will end up exactly like what SVS was like several years ago - great subs with great price-to-performance ratio, but constantly out of stock and always announcing and taking pre-orders on products that never meet their ETA. It was the business side where SVS used to really be lacking. I'm really hoping the fellows who've gone on to create Power Sound Audio have learned some lessons on that front :)

R

rjh22

Enthusiast
Two XV15's look like the better ticket

Although more expensive than a single XV30, two XV15's could easily give you both more output and smoother response in your room. Especially if you have a receiver/processor with MultEQ XT32 which smooths bass at hundreds of points and can process two subwoofer channels independently (I've got a TX-NR5008 that does this). Together, they might not dig as deep as the XV30, but I'd give a little depth for sheer output and smoothness. I await a review of these bad boys.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
My only concern is that Power Sound Audio will end up exactly like what SVS was like several years ago - great subs with great price-to-performance ratio, but constantly out of stock and always announcing and taking pre-orders on products that never meet their ETA. It was the business side where SVS used to really be lacking.
Are you talking about eD or SVS? :p

T

Tom V.

Audioholic
Hi all,

Quick update.

First production run assembled, tested and boxed. Unfortunately we missed the fedex cutoff. We intend to put a BIG dent in the pre order list by tomorrow afternoon though(we're staying late and coming back early..:)

We are extending the pre-order discount until end of day Monday(8-20).

Thanks to all for their patience, I know we missed our original shipping estimates.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

R

raynist

Junior Audioholic
I picked up 3 of the XV-15's today at their shop!

Here is an XV15 next to an SVS PB12+/2

Next to an SVS PB12+

Behind one of my couches, not sure if this is the final place or not.

I think my wife will kill me when she looks behind the couch, we have no reason to get into that closet :)

I could stack them to the right of the close to take up less floor space, but a 6ft high stack of these might look a bit scary!

I calibrated with audyssey xt32 (denon 4311) and did minor listening with all subs engaged. Of course it sounded amazing. I turned off the 2 svs subs and it still sounded amazing. These subs are very powerful. I plan on watching the hunger games tonight to give them a proper workout.

Last edited:
picture_shooter

picture_shooter

Full Audioholic
This post is such a tease!!!! :mad::mad::mad::D:mad::mad::mad:

Please post back your thoughts after Hunger Games and how these compare to your SVS's?

I picked up 3 of the XV-15's today at their shop!

Here is an XV15 next to an SVS PB12+/2
I think my wife will kill me when she looks behind the couch, we have no reason to get into that closet :)

I could stack them to the right of the close to take up less floor space, but a 6ft high stack of these might look a bit scary!

I calibrated with audyssey xt32 (denon 4311) and did minor listening with all subs engaged. Of course it sounded amazing. I turned off the 2 svs subs and it still sounded amazing. These subs are very powerful. I plan on watching the hunger games tonight to give them a proper workout.

R

raynist

Junior Audioholic
I am reporting this from another thread:

Didn't get to watch the hunger games. My daughter stayed up late and we started to watch the Lorax. There is some serious bass in that movie. I watched it with all 5 subs connected and it sounded amazing. I was running al subs about 3db hot according to audyssey xt32 and at -20db. I was upstairs getting a drink and heard a horrible noise which sounded like all my subs bottoming out. Ran downstairs and played the scene over and it sounded great. Played it again and ran upstairs and found it was dishes in the dishwasher banging around. I never had that kind of house shaking before.

The bass sounds so even and thick. The room is pressurized like never before. These were so worth the money!! I was not expecting so much of a difference as I had some potent subs in the room already.

Hopefully will watch the hunger games tomorrow, although as I write this I am getting a second wind.

--Ray

R

raynist

Junior Audioholic
So I did watch about 45 minutes of the hunger games last night. Did not get to any real action. There was a scene where a ship flies overhead that has some great bass. I hope to watch the rest tonight. There is so much added room pressurization that I think the best I can describe it is like a pillow of bass around my head. I was watching at -20 with the subs 3db hot.

R

raynist

Junior Audioholic
I would say one of these sounds about equivalent to my PB12+ in 20hz mode. I have not done any testing with max output or frequency plotting just going by what I can hear and feel. The 3 of these are every bit the equal and probably stronger than my 2 PB12+/2's (each with dual 12's). Together they are amazing!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis