Bose Music System III Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
For almost 19 years, Bose has been successfully marketing their Wave Radio Music System. Over the years, they've added new features such as a CD player, and alarm functionality and even color options. Today when we logged into the Audioholics Facebook page we noticed a post from Bose linking to their "new" Wave Music System III along with the following quote ""It's not a makeover, more like a make better. Bose Wave music system III." We were interested to determine whether or not any audio enhancements have been made to this unit so we opened up a chat window with a friendly Bose support staff to get the scoop.

Discuss "Bose Music System III Preview" here. Read the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
I saw an info-mercial a few months ago as I was channel surfing, for the Bose Wave whatever for $500. There was an "audio expert" on hand. Since I got heavy into audio stuff a few years ago, my wife knows a little about the topic, and actually laughed out loud as we watched in teeth-gritting fashion for about 10 minutes as this guys spewed pitch after pitch to the audience. As I saw the "number of sales" counter going up up up, I had to turn the channel. The article was a somewhat interesting read.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Key words being 'successfully marketing'. They sure do that very well. I do believe that they open the doors for new members to join our audio world/club. I think of them as an audio transitional manufacturer.

F

FDZombiedawg

Audiophyte
I suppose its fitting that my first post to this Forum would be over a BOSE product, LOL.

Nice job on the article, I remember years ago, Boston had made a $500 dollar radio that actually was quite nice for person who could afford a $500 radio. It was being sold at Tweeter Ect. in Waterford CT, AND it played, wait for it...CD's!

I am just thankful that someone a long, long time ago took the time to explain the marketing behind the company, from then on I always read the fine print first. Special isolated displays, no industry standard ratings, can't listen to your own music in the corporate stores, and so forth. It was actually a high end car audio store owned by a good friend of my brother-in-law, that told me about the importance to really, be hesitant on brand loyalty in general. I was shocked to see that in a Best Buy store in TX, Bose HT products where side by side other's, in the "Try before you Buy" section. I've went in depth to try and explain the deceptive practices of this company for 4 of my closest friends, several hours worth of explaining over several ounces of beer. Then we went to Best Buy (it was close) and compared a Bose center channel to a cheaper, lower end Klipsch, and the Bose sounded quite poor in comparison.

I refuse to trash talk people's gear, people spend alot of money on that stuff and it doesn't effect me.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm not interested in the least, but I will say for an ultra small unit I think it sounds quite good, I'd probably even venture to say that it is far better than anything else it's size. It is fantastic for throwing on a bookshelf or counter where you don't want the clutter of a full system. To me, that'd probably be worth.....about 1/4 of what they charge? For that price I could do exactly what I have already done, take an old receiver I was replacing and throw some decent bookshelf's on it.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It's like Audioholics put that article there to intentionally provoke us!

Frans

Frans

Junior Audioholic
Us, as in Bose? Or us as in Audioholics forum users? Neither apply in this case.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you for again confirming that I made the right decision in not purchasing anything made by Bose.

Y

yveletnik

Junior Audioholic
for some reason Bose reminds me a lot of nowadays Apple

J

jake5717

Audioholic
Comps

My Father in law got one of these a couple of months ago and I finally got a chance to hear it last night. It was playing background music and I didn't want to get into a big ol conversation about it but I did try to listen to it closely and I have to say I was kinda impressed. So that got me thinking what other radios are out there that are this compact and good looking that may sound better? I know we hate Bose for HT because there are better options but what's a better option for a Wave radio?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My Father in law got one of these a couple of months ago and I finally got a chance to hear it last night. It was playing background music and I didn't want to get into a big ol conversation about it but I did try to listen to it closely and I have to say I was kinda impressed. So that got me thinking what other radios are out there that are this compact and good looking that may sound better? I know we hate Bose for HT because there are better options but what's a better option for a Wave radio?
I've been saying this for years. My dad has had one for a a long time and I can't deny that it has good sound for the size. For the PRICE however, I can put together a system that will sound better, though be physically larger.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Cambridge Sound Works offers several small footprint one piece solutions as does Boston Acoustics. These are cheaper but as for "better" sound, well, that's relative. Suffice it to say that I've had a Cambridge Sound Works Model 88 (now out of production) radio for about 14 years and love it.

Tivoli has these as well but, they can get VERY pricey and almost make Bose look like a bargain. Tivoli does offer some interesting and relatively good sounding portables, though.

There may be others, but these are the ones that spring to mind,

Send Margaritas

Send Margaritas

Audioholic
I very much like Gene's reviews. As a rule, they're objective, factual, and well written. Most have a great technical analysis.

In this case, I'd have liked to seen more objective test data. I'd have liked to know about the FR, and which part of the snake all of the oil used in this product comes from. ;)

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
what about an iphone docking station of some sort as a competitor? I saw a friend have one of these things and it was friggin loud for the size... sound quality, meh, but small yes.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I very much like Gene's reviews. As a rule, they're objective, factual, and well written. Most have a great technical analysis.

In this case, I'd have liked to seen more objective test data. I'd have liked to know about the FR, and which part of the snake all of the oil used in this product comes from. ;)
This wasn't a review. It was a preview article. Bose doesn't submit us gear for review unfortunately.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis