EMP Impression (E55Ti Tower / E56Ci Center / ES1010i Sub & E55WI Surround) Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
When my sister-in-law tasked me to build her a home theater, she had three goals in mind: a system that would play cleanly at high output levels, be reasonably priced and "classy" looking. EMPtek Impression series of products seemed like the logical choice. We've had good experiences with their E55Ti towers and ES1010i subwoofer, so it was time to evaluate their new E56Ci 5 driver 3-way center channel and 4 driver bipole E55WI surround on-wall speaker system to get the big picture of perform of an entire EMP speaker configuration. This review explores a 7.1 EMP Impression Series speaker system's performance while also offering valuable set-up and installation tips to ensure you too can achieve the three goals we set out for. Read the review to find out how good looks + good sound wins big WAF while also satisfying the discriminating Audioholic ear.

Discuss "EMP Impression (E55Ti Tower / E56Ci Center / ES1010i Sub & E55WI Surround) Review " here. Read the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Nice writeup. The setup is very nice for the money.

I'm curious about the 55Hz bump on the towers + subs plot. Would it be alleviated if you choose to run the Mains in small configuration?

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I have had my E5Ti's and E56Ci for almost a week. I'm impressed, considering the E5Ti's were on sale for $275.00 pr. The finish and build quality of these speakers is also very impressive. The center, at first was kind of muddy and vocals were not as clear and crisp as I thought they should have been. With some adjustments, the E56Ci now has a wow factor. Audsssey set the Xover for all speakers (PSB Alpha B1's as surrounds) at 40 hz and the speaker distance at 30ft. It's 17ft. from speaker placement to listening position. I left the speakers set at 40hz and changed the 30ft to 17ft and it made a huge improvement. I may change the Xover on the E56Ci to 80hz and see if this offers even better results.
The only problem I have had is one of the E5Ti's has a buzz coming from the tweeter. EMP has been great to work with. The E5Ti's are a great speaker for the price.
If I have to return the E5Ti's, I may opt for the E55Ti's.

I highly recommend EMPtek. Their customer service has been great and they offer an in home 30 day trial and they pay shipping if you want to return the speakers.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I have had my E5Ti's and E56Ci for almost a week. I'm impressed, considering the E5Ti's were on sale for $275.00 pr. The finish and build quality of these speakers is also very impressive. The center, at first was kind of muddy and vocals were not as clear and crisp as I thought they should have been. With some adjustments, the E56Ci now has a wow factor. Audsssey set the Xover for all speakers (PSB Alpha B1's as surrounds) at 40 hz and the speaker distance at 30ft. It's 17ft. from speaker placement to listening position. I left the speakers set at 40hz and changed the 30ft to 17ft and it made a huge improvement. I may change the Xover on the E56Ci to 80hz and see if this offers even better results.
The only problem I have had is one of the E5Ti's has a buzz coming from the tweeter. EMP has been great to work with. The E5Ti's are a great speaker for the price.
If I have to return the E5Ti's, I may opt for the E55Ti's.

I highly recommend EMPtek. Their customer service has been great and they offer an in home 30 day trial and they pay shipping if you want to return the speakers.
I recommend you run the towers full range and crossover the center and surrounds at 80Hz. If the center is placed in a cabinet, try plugging the ports and using some Auralex Mopads to isolate it from the shelf like I discussed in the review.

If your tweeter is buzzing, have EMP send you a new one or better yet, work out a deal to upgrade to E55tis :) The E55tis are a much better speaker IMO and worth the extra $$$.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I recommend you run the towers full range and crossover the center and surrounds at 80Hz. If the center is placed in a cabinet, try plugging the ports and using some Auralex Mopads to isolate it from the shelf like I discussed in the review.

If your tweeter is buzzing, have EMP send you a new one or better yet, work out a deal to upgrade to E55tis :) The E55tis are a much better speaker IMO and worth the extra $$$.
Okay, thanks. I appreciate the suggestions and I'll change my settings. The center is on, not in, a cabinet. I still may get some Auralex mo pads though.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai

Gene, Thanks for these suggestions. My system sounds great now!

Unfortunately, I have decided to return the E5Ti's. RBH Sound/EMPtek was great to work with and very helpful.
I did decide to order a pair of E55Ti's.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I got my new E55Tir's last week. I'm just now getting to spend some time with them.
So far, they have exceeded my expectations. I'm running them full range and they are great. I don't listen at high volumes and these are very detailed at my volume range.

C

cme4brain

Audiophyte
Excellent speakers!

I have the EMP TEK E55ti towers and the E56Ci center that I upgraded to from Polk A7's. I am using a Polk 505 subwoofer and Polk RT-70 in-ceiling for rear surrounds and Polk A3 bookshelf speakers for the reat back surrounds. I am using an Emotiva XPA-3 200WPC amp for these EMP's as my L/R/C main speakers. I find this EMP tower and center combination superb for mid and high frequency reproduction. I can hear every minute sound from movies and music (I watch movies 95% of the time). I do agree these towers need a subwoofer and the Polk fills in nicely. I believe that these EMP are at the top of the "bang for your buck" competition. I might upgrade later, but to get a significant improvement in sound- an improvement that I am willing to pay for- will take lots more money.

M

mhaider

Audiophyte
I've been tossing around the idea of upgrading my current speaker system to the EMP E55Ti, E56Ci, and E55Wi. What I'm struggling with is it going to be worth it. What I have now are 16 year old Infinity RS 4 towers, CC3 center, QPS1 quadrapole surrounds, and a BU2 sub. I think they do a good job with movies, but could be better with music. I realize I could order the EMP's and audition them at home and the most I'd be out if I didn't want to keep them is the return shipping cost, but I thought I'd reach out to the forum and get your thoughts. Possibly there is someone out there that had my Infinity's and upgraded. Thanks for your input.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I've been tossing around the idea of upgrading my current speaker system to the EMP E55Ti, E56Ci, and E55Wi. What I'm struggling with is it going to be worth it. What I have now are 16 year old Infinity RS 4 towers, CC3 center, QPS1 quadrapole surrounds, and a BU2 sub. I think they do a good job with movies, but could be better with music. I realize I could order the EMP's and audition them at home and the most I'd be out if I didn't want to keep them is the return shipping cost, but I thought I'd reach out to the forum and get your thoughts. Possibly there is someone out there that had my Infinity's and upgraded. Thanks for your input.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Hi and welcome to the forum mhaider!

The EMP's are great for the price.

I went from Definitive Technology SM450's to the E55 and C56 setup and have been very happy. I still have the DefTechs and use them for surrounds.
I'm selling my EMP front three. Only because I've had some money issues come up and need to get rid of some stuff. They are in the red burl finish.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/classifieds-sell-your-gear/90031-emp-e55ti-towers-emp-e56ci-center.html

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis